Tai Shan on next tour

YYZumbi

The hate this song gets is ridiculous.

Its beautiful. I really don't see how this gets rubbished by fans!

Geddy points this out as their worst song?Ii guess that must mean we all have to agree like sheep to the shepherd.

I actually agree to the point that it is beautiful. Anyone who had been to China before it recreated England in the 19th century can relate to that song.

My beef with Tai Shan is that it just doesn't fit with the album. It sticks out like a sore, one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other, thumb.

I think it fits perfectly

It's awful. Sorry.

It's not awful! It's gorgeous! It's the equivalent of Rivendell or Madrigal for HYF. I think this song gets So much shit just because of the asian vibe

No, it gets shit because it's awful.

I dare you to play it with kRUSH

At least you did not skip etiquette and go straight to the triple dog dare.

I can't listen to it long enough to learn it. :huh:

You need a flute player. Ring up Ian Anderson!

Geddy points this out as their worst song?Ii guess that must mean we all have to agree like sheep to the shepherd.

I actually agree to the point that it is beautiful. Anyone who had been to China before it recreated England in the 19th century can relate to that song.

My beef with Tai Shan is that it just doesn't fit with the album. It sticks out like a sore, one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other, thumb.

It's awful. Sorry.

It's not awful! It's gorgeous! It's the equivalent of Rivendell or Madrigal for HYF. I think this song gets So much shit just because of the asian vibe

And some Tums... and a small bag.

• Like 1

It's awful. Sorry.

And some Tums... and a small bag.

All you need is to hear China singing to you...then you'll be able to play it no problem

• Like 1

It's awful. Sorry.

Rivendell is shit. Madrigal is... OK. Honestly, Rush only really learned to do ballads on MP, and then forgot again on PoW. Since Presto they've been fine though. I would love to see Available Light live, just not Tai Shan.

•cue Spaghetti Lee clubbing me with a hot iron•

Edited by len(songs)

It's awful. Sorry.

Rivendell is shit. Madrigal is... OK. Honestly, Rush only really learned to do ballads on MP, and then forgot again on PoW. Since Presto they've been fine though. I would love to see Available Light live, just not Tai Shan.

Rivendell is SHIT? Are you telling me that if you wrote that on classical guitar you would discard it and say "This is shit!"?

It's awful. Sorry.

Rivendell is SHIT? Are you telling me that if you wrote that on classical guitar you would discard it and say "This is shit!"?

OK, OK, not quite "shit". Just a tad bit repetitive, and relentlessly quiet. I agree that there is one minute of excellent songeriting in there, but it's stretched out to a 5 minute song, and even the first guitar line, which was written beautifully, gets a little stale after a while. Maybe not "shit", but certainly not "great".

I went looking for any earlier posts dealing with Rivendell, and found one called "Geddy Lee explains Rivendell," which has a video. It also has a video of a woman performing Rivendell, and I was blown away. I'm relatively new to the forum, so I hadn't seen that before. Very beautiful.