The Clowney Show—Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Matt Hazel...never heard of him...

STRENGTHS: Adequate body type with room to get stronger. Not a burner, but shows good acceleration and long strides to build up speed in his routes. Very good focus and hand/eye coordination to catch everything in his area with his hands.

Flexible and balanced with the body control to make smooth adjustments on erratic throws. Proper patience and decisiveness in his routes to deceive defenders and create room to work. Sinks his hips and drives out of his breaks with natural footwork. Stays light on his feet as a ballcarrier and in his patterns. Works hard after the catch and won't concede yards.

Experience lining up inside and outside, running a full route tree in college. Level-headed and works hard to improve. Durable with 39 career starts on his resume. Improved production each season and broke many of Jerome Simpson's school records, including single-season catches (70) and career catches (183).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal bulk and strength for the position and is too easily out-muscled and pushed around. Overmatched as a blocker and plays too light and passive in this area. Needs to do a better job in traffic and use his body more assertively.

Lacks dynamic burst to consistently separate and won't fool anyone with his moves after the catch. Limited vertical threat. Room to improve his footwork and awareness along the sideline. Will round off some routes and needs to continue and progress in this area. Didn't face top-flight competition each week at the FCS level.

—Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A little-known two-star high school recruit, Hazel received some attention from FBS-level programs, including a scholarship offer from Georgia, but not until after he signed with Coastal Carolina.

Hazel showed steady progression each season and quickly established himself as the team's top target, improving his stats and starts each year. He finished his career at or near the top of almost every school receiving record and was a big reason Coastal Carolina advanced to the FCS playoffs three of his four seasons on campus.

Hazel isn't sudden or explosive and lacks the speed to be a consistent deep threat, but he is decisive and polished in his routes - very seasoned for a FCS prospect. He is a determined, natural hands-catcher who is dependable when the ball is in his area, but he needs to spend considerable time in the weight room.

Too much finesse to his game, but his reliability catching the ball gives him a chance in the NFL, likely as an underneath possession target.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1762247/matt-hazel

I guess it IS round 6...

Bear down, Chicago Bears, just punt the ball on your way to victory.

Our sixth round pick...the first two sentences under strengths used the terms "adequate" and "not a burner". And those were his strengths.

Oh well, it's only round six. And we have a good kicker and punter.

Our sixth round pick...the first two sentences under strengths used the terms "adequate" and "not a burner". And those were his strengths.

Oh well, it's only round six. And we have a good kicker and punter.

Maybe he can get a cool nickname like Matty Haze?

• Like 1

Good piece on the Bills Draft on ESPN.

Bryce Brown gone from Philly to Bills. Obviously usurped by Sproles.

Did they say they gave up too much for Watkins?

Not outright but they said it without saying it, if you get my drift.

I definitely think they did.

• Like 1

Not outright but they said it without saying it, if you get my drift.

I definitely think they did.

I agree completely.