A Rush Fan Commits Heresy - Clockwork Angels Tour Review

Brucey

I would say that maybe they should consider filming right near the beginning of a tour and/or right after a break. I found that both the Winnipeg show (show number 10 I think) and the Red Deer Show (right after a two week break) had Geddy with a fantastic vocal performance, in stark contrast to their Vancouver show from the Time Machine Tour (Second last show for the tour), where though things were not terrible, paled in comparison to the other two shows I saw.

This x 1000. It would probably sound a lot better if they record after just a few shows within the tour. I'll re-post here what I posted under that guy's "article" ....

" [The author is] taking the past two DVDs and implying that that’s what the entirety of both tours sounded like. The vocals on Time Machine weren’t great because Ged was sick as heck in Cleveland. I was at the show in Hershey, PA about a week prior to that, and it was the best-sounding RUSH show out of the eight I’ve seen.

Same thing with the CA tour; I saw them in Bridgeport and Buffalo about a month and a half before they recorded in Dallas/Phoenix, and both were great (Bridgeport especially).

Has Ged lost a bit in the vocal department? Absolutely. Age and wear will do that. Should they retire ‘Overture/Temples’? Most likely. But he still sounds pretty good to me, especially on songs like The Garden, Headlong Flight, Analog Kid, Grand Designs, and Far Cry."

There's no doubt in my mind that one of the main reasons much of Power Windows was performed on the last tour is because Lee can still sing those tunes without too much of a stretch. Anything attempted vocally before MP and it's risky

• Like 2

Has Geddy lost some vocal range? Yes.

The same thing has happened to every aging vocalist.

Has Geddy aged much more gracefully than just about anyone? IMO, absolutely.

His bass playing is still unbelievable (see CA tour Where's My Thing?), and when I'm at the concert, I find myself constantly shaking my head in disbelief...not that he can't hit the notes, but by how many he still can.

• Like 5

I wonder why he doesn't try to transpose the vocals on the higher songs down an octave? Maybe they lose something but seems like that would make more sense. That way they could play in the original key but he could just sing it lower.
  • Like 1

*sigh

I think it’s rather pathetic that a Rush fan took the time to pen an “op-ed” piece focusing on Geddys age and vocal chops (or lack thereof) at the tail end of 2013.

It says far more about the reviewer then it does about Geddy Lee’s ability to sing live.

His vocals are not the “sole liability” of their live shows, but rather a major asset that has allowed them to continue at this level. He sings incredibly well live – not just for a “60 year old” - but as the vocal force of a rock band. Night after night and is able to pull off shows with amazing consistency – bringing down the house with some of the most memorable vocal moments in their career and doing almost note for note renditions of 30 year old songs.

And what thanks does he get? A snarky “review” begging that he “please, tune down your sooongs – you’re old - I don’t want to hear you try – it hurts too much - I want it all to be perfeeeect”

If you are THAT put off by some creaks and croaks and the amount of work he needs to put into his vocals at this stage – seriously, tough shit.

• Like 1

*sigh

I think it’s rather pathetic that a Rush fan took the time to pen an “op-ed” piece focusing on Geddys age and vocal chops (or lack thereof) at the tail end of 2013.

It says far more about the reviewer then it does about Geddy Lee’s ability to sing live.

His vocals are not the “sole liability” of their live shows, but rather a major asset that has allowed them to continue at this level. He sings incredibly well live – not just for a “60 year old” - but as the vocal force of a rock band. Night after night and is able to pull off shows with amazing consistency – bringing down the house with some of the most memorable vocal moments in their career and doing almost note for note renditions of 30 year old songs.

And what thanks does he get? A snarky “review” begging that he “please, tune down your sooongs – you’re old - I don’t want to hear you try – it hurts too much - I want it all to be perfeeeect”

If you are THAT put off by some creaks and croaks and the amount of work he needs to put into his vocals at this stage – seriously, tough shit.

:hug2:

*sigh

• Like 1

I know Geddy goes flat a few times here and there and he has changed some notes to fit his current range but his voice wasn't clearly as bad as he made it out ot be. I still think, thats its more of vowel placement thats bothering Geddy than anything. I still think and TM will back me that he can still sing Freewill like no-one else.

:bitchslap:

• Like 2