Help Narpet Today! Give him a listening assignment

Tombstone Mountain

I think The Beatles invented the doom riff with She's So Heavy. I swear, every time I play Abbey Road I swear Cathedral must have been listening intently...

R.E.M. are one of the finest bands ever!

But will it please the Narpet?

I think The Beatles invented the doom riff with She's So Heavy. I swear, every time I play Abbey Road I swear Cathedral must have been listening intently...

Surely She's So Heavy is a monster of a song, but I don't think it's the "invention" of the doom riff. We're talking about late '69, no? Not sure wheter Black Sabbath had already been released, but surely Black Widow had been heard. Same as the opening chords of Polythene Pam were inspired by Pinball Wizard.

I guess so...but it must be one of the first occasions when such a heavy, slow some had success commercially? I might be wrong...

NARPET I AM LISTENING TO YES:

No assignment...I think Yes and Rush are all anyone needs to here on this day...

• Like 1

Surely She's So Heavy is a monster of a song, but I don't think it's the "invention" of the doom riff. We're talking about late '69, no? Not sure wheter Black Sabbath had already been released, but surely Black Widow had been heard. Same as the opening chords of Polythene Pam were inspired by Pinball Wizard.

I think cathedral were probably listening to saint vitus, pentagram, candlemass, witchfinder general, sabbath, etc

I think cathedral were probably listening to saint vitus, pentagram, candlemass, witchfinder general, sabbath, etc

true...but a lot of those bands would have been around when that album came out...not that I am sincerely claiming The Beatles to be the pioneers of the doom sound! I just find that particular song surprisingly reminiscent of some of the heavier, doomier bands of twenty years later...like Helter Skelter still sounds very crusty and metallic for its age, and for the band itself (especially considering a huge percentage of modern "metal" is as overproduced as the average pop and rnb release!).

So Narpet, are you actually listening to any of the suggestions? I really haven't heard you comment on anything.

I will let you speculate on an answer to your own question. :codger: I am an attention whore however....... :D-13:

So Narpet, are you actually listening to any of the suggestions? I really haven't heard you comment on anything.

I will let you speculate on an answer to your own question. :codger: I am an attention whore however....... :D-13:

I really thought he'd listen to the songs and tell us what he thinks. Apparently he doesn't like to comment on his buffet of suggestions.

I really thought he'd listen to the songs and tell us what he thinks. Apparently he doesn't like to comment on his buffet of suggestions.

Either that, or he hates it all and doesn't want to say so :LOL:

• Like 2

Either that, or he hates it all and doesn't want to say so :LOL:

Well honestly that's what I was thinking. It would be nice to get some feedback good or bad.

• Like 1

That sounds like a no to me.

I listen to the stuff posted. I am to lazy to "get into" anything at this point in life....... :)

I listen to the stuff posted. I am to lazy to "get into" anything at this point in life....... :)

You're always commenting on how old you are etc. Stop that! You are the same age as me and I ain't giving up yet. :LOL: I'm always checking out new bands.

• Like 1