If Rush Was Open About Their Musical Chops Starting To Fade, Would You Still Want Them To Play The Classics On Tour?

puffyshirt

I now everyone here loves Rush unconditionally, but it's become clear in the past couple tours, and will be increasingly more so in the next few years, that age is taking effect. Especially considering Geddy's voice and Neil's speed on the drums. I guess this stems from an underlying fear I have that after the one or two year break they currently are taking, they'll come back and realize they've aged a bit more than they thought in that time.

How would it make you feel if you saw YYZ played where the drumming was clearly different, fills were simpler and the speed was slower? I mean, the boys are over 60 now, and I don't think anyone here is expecting them to be playing songs at their peak into their 70's. There's something to be said about giving it all you got no matter how old you are, but it would definitely feel...weird to see that they just cant physically do what they once could.

They can always make new albums, music that's tailored to their abilities. But I'm more curious about the older songs that demand a certain level of speed and precision. I guess my question is, would you still want them to play them knowing that they would have to alter the songs at least a bit? Or would you rather them just retire that material?

I now everyone here loves Rush unconditionally, but it's become clear in the past couple tours, and will be increasingly more so in the next few years, that age is taking effect. Especially considering Geddy's voice and Neil's speed on the drums. I guess this stems from an underlying fear I have that after the one or two year break they currently are taking, they'll come back and realize they've aged a bit more than they thought in that time.

How would it make you feel if you saw YYZ played where the drumming was clearly different, fills were simpler and the speed was slower? I mean, the boys are over 60 now, and I don't think anyone here is expecting them to be playing songs at their peak into their 70's. There's something to be said about giving it all you got no matter how old you are, but it would definitely feel...weird to see that they just cant physically do what they once could.

They can always make new albums, music that's tailored to their abilities. But I'm more curious about the older songs that demand a certain level of speed and precision. I guess my question is, would you still want them to play them knowing that they would have to alter the songs at least a bit? Or would you rather them just retire that material?

Did you smoke your breakfast?

Are you kidding? The last two tours alone have proved that they are still incredibly capable at playing. With the exception of Geddy's voice, they are as good as ever.

Haha yes, I agree. That wasn't the question :P

Shit, misread the question. I thought you were complaining about how they play now ha ha. Well, I'm sure they would just stop all together. They said once they can no longer perform live, they will quit.

First off, I believe most of us here don't love Rush unconditionally. We seem to be a rational bunch of fans! :unsure:

That said, I think Rush would have the decency and integrity to hang it up before it's too late. So far, it doesn't seem to be too late.

• Like 3

First off, I believe most of us here don't love Rush unconditionally. We seem to be a rational bunch of fans! :unsure:

That said, I think Rush would have the decency and integrity to hang it up before it's too late. So far, it doesn't seem to be too late.

I hope so. There is little that is more sad than seeing a bunch of rockers way, way, way past their prime trying to pretend and act like they are not.

• Like 1

I hope so. There is little that is more sad than seeing a bunch of rockers way, way, way past their prime trying to pretend and act like they are not.

I've seen them on every tour since R30. They still got it. I think one more album and one more tour should suffice. What else can they accomplish?

Every time this subject comes up, I bring this up. I will bring it up again.

Neil and his arms.

When you get older, you start to lose strength in your arms.

He doesn't have many good years left.

Which is why it worries me too that they are taking such a long hiatus. When they decide to put their collective noses to the grindstone on a new album/tour, they may find they have lost a lot of steam by sitting idle for over a year. Unless, of course, they practice every day.

Remember when Neil decided to come back? He said it took him a very long time to get back up to par. That was over ten years ago. I don't know if he could do that today without it taking twice as long now as it did then.

• Like 1

I've seen them on every tour since R30. They still got it. I think one more album and one more tour should suffice. What else can they accomplish?

I hope you are right and that they don't wait too long. The longer they wait at the age that they are, the harder it will be.

Every time this subject comes up, I bring this up. I will bring it up again.

Neil and his arms.

When you get older, you start to lose strength in your arms.

He doesn't have many good years left.

Which is why it worries me too that they are taking such a long hiatus. When they decide to put their collective noses to the grindstone on a new album/tour, they may find they have lost a lot of steam by sitting idle for over a year. Unless, of course, they practice every day.

Remember when Neil decided to come back? He said it took him a very long time to get back up to par. That was over ten years ago. I don't know if he could do that today without it taking twice as long now as it did then.

He's gonna be fine—he's got the hands of God according to Taylor
  • Like 1

Look at this way-to some critics, Geddy hasn't been able to sing since 1974 so to them he hasn't missed a note. But Geddy and Neil will always be at a disadvantage anyway. Most older rock artists play for maybe 2 hours tops, their songs are 3-4 minutes long, and they limit the number of venues to large cities only. Meanwhile, we get 3 hours with songs way longer than 240 seconds and they don't miss many cities.

So that may beg the question-would you prefer 2 hours of Rush belting out some of the tunes we think they can't handle anymore in a limited number of large cities or 3 hours of them doing whatever the heck they please?

What? I'm a 30 year drummer and I would say that Neil is playing as good or better than he ever has. He certainly has MUCH more technique than he did 20 years ago. Neil is his own worst critic and will certainly know when he can't do the songs justice.

To those saying that Neil's arms and legs will start to give out, have you seen Buddy Rich videos towards the end of his life? The guy still played circles around pretty much anybody. In rock drumming you certainly use more arms and legs, but I don't think a lot of you realize that most of your speed and control in drumming comes from the wrists, fingers, and ankles. It takes a LONG time to develop these but once you do it stays with you pretty much. I will say that Neil could lose just a little speed and reflex when he gets older but there are no signs of it yet. Even Neil's tempos on this tour were fast and smooth compared to like the SnA tour.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 4