The Open Championship 2005

Midway Hawker

I know Golf threads don't seem to stay on top very long, but this week is the biggy of biggies..

The home of Golf is hosting the Open Championship yet again. I'm so looking forward to it.. There is something magical about it..

Tiger, Phil, V.J. and Ernie have all won 3 times this year world wide. It should be a great event.. Let's just hope Tiger doesn't run away with it like he did 5 years ago on the same course. He has to be the favorite...

I'm taking this Thursday and Friday off of work so I can watch it all 4 days. yes.gif

I love The Open and I love St Andrews - I am taking Friday off so I can go up to St Andrews. Will be taking the early train from Edinburgh so I can get the full day.

The weather in Scotland is hot and sunny with no wind to speak of and is forecast to be good all week. In that case expect some good scoring because although they have moved some of the tees back the Old Course is relatively easy for these guys unless the wind blows.

Look out for me on TV. biggrin.gif

Sweet, I'm completely Jealous!!!

I'll be drinking Scotch and looking for you on the Tele....

My family name is of Scotish Heritage, so I always feel a connection with that place.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 12 2005, 03:31 PM)
Sweet, I'm completely Jealous!!!

I'll be drinking Scotch and looking for you on the Tele....

My family name is of Scotish Heritage, so I always feel a connection with that place.

You need to get across here and play some golf where it all started.

I may also have a few nips while watching the golf over the weekend - I hope you enjoy it. trink39.gif

They do fear the day this course, like others, might become obsolete. No doubt about it, there is no other course like this anywhere, and there never will be another like it. One can make replica courses (and they do exist), but it will never capture the essence of this place. Someday, I want to go to Scotland and play a few rounds. That's if I ever get out enough to remember how to play the damn game. I know that you do have to reserve quite well in advance. Anyway, it's always fun to watch the event on this course. I definitely look forward to watching some of it. I'm sure the TV will be on at work, and I might catch some at home. But it will play easy if there's no wind, as was already suggested. Part of the fun of these courses is the inclement weather conditions that arise.

Yep, no other course like it... How many other 18 hole courses have only 11 greens????

And how about the 7th and 11th holes. Not only do they share a green, but the shots are across each other..

And there is no other hole in the world like #17 (The Road Hole) Can you see I'm getting excited?

http://www.opengolf.com/pix/course/the_old_course_overview.jpg

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 12 2005, 12:45 PM)
I know Golf threads don't seem to stay on top very long, but this week is the biggy of biggies..

The home of Golf is hosting the Open Championship yet again. I'm so looking forward to it.. There is something magical about it..

Tiger, Phil, V.J. and Ernie have all won 3 times this year world wide. It should be a great event.. Let's just hope Tiger doesn't run away with it like he did 5 years ago on the same course. He has to be the favorite...

I'm taking this Thursday and Friday off of work so I can watch it all 4 days. yes.gif

I'm with you there.

I love the Old Course. I too think it's magical and maybe even mythic in the realm of golf.

Enjoy your days off and just dream, brother, dream!

I sure will....

here are TV times:

Thursday, July 14

6:30 a.m.-7 p.m. ET/PT (TNT)

Friday, July 15

7 a.m.-7 p.m. ET/PT (TNT)

Saturday, July 16

7-9 a.m. ET (TNT)

9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. ET (ABC)

Sunday, July 17

6-8 a.m., ET (TNT)

8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. ET (ABC)

5-6 p.m. ET (ABC; trophy presentation, highlights)

My fave major of the year. I work nights so there's something special following the early tee times at work then heading home for breakfest and golf and who knows maybe a pint or two wink.gif The wind had better blow or this old course might be eaten alive yes.gif

Oh ya cool hand Luke Donald wins his first major here...........maybe laugh.gif

It's under way...

Players have been on the course for about an hour now.. Jack Nicklaus tees off shortly. I have to go to bed so I can get up and watch the afternoon action on the tube. I'm 8 hours behind Scotland... sad.gif

Jack is playing with Tom Watson (5 time Open Champion) and Luke Donald.

Both Jack and Tom birdied the first hole and are currently tied for the lead!!! rofl3.gif

Luke got a par.

go Jack!! It would be great to see him make the cut in his last major.

I don't think I can go to bed.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 14 2005, 02:16 AM)
Jack is playing with Tom Watson (5 time Open Champion) and Luke Donald.

Both Jack and Tom birdied the first hole and are currently tied for the lead!!! rofl3.gif

Luke got a par.

go Jack!! It would be great to see him make the cut in his last major.

I don't think I can go to bed.

That's awesome that tournament officialls saw fit to pair Jack and Tom together. Who can forget the memorable battles these two have had at the British Open? I'm not sure, but I think one where Watson beat Nicklaus out on the last hole (or perhaps it was the Road Hole) was here at the Old Course.

Also, in a fit of irony, old Tom owns Jack's ass at the British open. Hell, he's won five of the damn things so I guess he probably owns everbody's ass.

Glad you are enjoying, earthshine. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for weekend coverage because I don't have cable. I can't wait for Saturday and Sunday. I just wish the old wizard Seve was still around. I would watch him with intent curiousity and amazement at what he would pull out of his hat.

Not even half way into the first round and there shredding this course. yes.gif

You would of thought after the last open shredding at ST. Andrews they would have really narrowed the fairways and grew some serious rough. They better hope a hurricane blows through there soon or the scores are going to get laughable for a major.

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 14 2005, 05:45 AM)

You would of thought after the last open shredding at ST. Andrews they would have really narrowed the fairways and grew some serious rough. They better hope a hurricane blows through there soon or the scores are going to get laughable for a major.

Already starting..Tiger shot a 66...some other dude (Webster) is -6 thru front 9....at the moment approximately 40 guys are under par!!! WTF????? confused13.gif

I know what you mean, The Old Course isn't designed for today's golfers and most find it easy in benign conditions.

The big dilemma is if you make it tough and then the wind blows it becomes almost impossible to play like Carnoustie 5 years ago. I was at Carnoustie and it was quite depressing seeing these golfers unable to even attempt to make birdies.

It will be a real loss to golf if St Andrews is ever dropped from The Open circuit since the history and beauty of the course is unsurpassed.

Anyhow I am getting excited about going tomorrow common001.gif

I don't care if the winner is -20. they should NEVER drop St. Andrews from the Open rotation. Did you see how the wind and rain came late in the day, and scores started going UP. Hopefully Tiger will get a bit of Wind and Rain tomorrow. He played early today in rather benign conditions. I'd hate to see him run away with this thing. It would quite boring on Sunday if he does.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 14 2005, 05:39 PM)
I don't care if the winner is -20. they should NEVER drop St. Andrews from the Open rotation. Did you see how the wind and rain came late in the day, and scores started going UP. Hopefully Tiger will get a bit of Wind and Rain tomorrow. He played early today in rather benign conditions. I'd hate to see him run away with this thing. It would quite boring on Sunday if he does.

I would rather the wind and rain came on Saturday and Sunday since I am hoping for good weather today, however i have packed my waterproofs.

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jul 14 2005, 02:53 PM)

I know what you mean, The Old Course isn't designed for today's golfers and most find it easy in benign conditions.

The big dilemma is if you make it tough and then the wind blows it becomes almost impossible to play like Carnoustie 5 years ago. I was at Carnoustie and it was quite depressing seeing these golfers unable to even attempt to make birdies.

It will be a real loss to golf if St Andrews is ever dropped from The Open circuit since the history and beauty of the course is unsurpassed.

Anyhow I am getting excited about going tomorrow common001.gif

I guess i'm a bit of a sadist but i truly enjoyed some of these pretty boy whiners getting gutted at Carnoustie and can't wait till it comes around again yes.gif

Poor ST. Andrews has been left unprotected again and to think all they had to do to the old girl was narrow up the fairways and grow some real rough not that wispy hay pretending to be rough. I hope a gust of nasty air gets thrown up by the North Sea and saves the days ahead. 1287.gif

Any way Milton enjoy your day. I know all of us here wish we could join you. trink39.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard

Nicklaus missed the cut by 2 strokes. sad.gif He gave it qiute a go though. shot an even par 72 on friday. That 18th hole birdie was a great putt.Both Canadians missed the cut.

Tom Watson and Greg Norman both make it. Id really like to see Norman move up on the standings. He was always my favorite golfer growing up.

John Daly at -4 is nice to see too. some bad weather and lucky breaks may give him a chance but in all likelyhood Woods will walk away with this one. Even in the harshest of conditions, the clear cut favorite is woods even when hes trailing by a few strokes so when hes ahead by a few, the outllook isnt good for the rest of the field.

I had a fantastic day at St Andrews yesterday, one of the highlights was watching Nicklaus and Watson.

We also followed Monty for a while, I bet he is cursing those two dropped shots otherwise he would be at -9 this moring.

I still think Woods will do it, he looks supremely confident.

Here are some views.

The Great Man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/jimmiltonbridge/Open5.jpg

A View of The Great Course

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/jimmiltonbridge/Open9.jpg

Enjoying a well earned beer at the end of the day ( thats me looking tired on the right)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/jimmiltonbridge/Open2.jpg

Archived