Will Rush ever produce another clean-sounding, "heterogeneous" album?

GeminiRising79

Im not a fan of Radiohead either...but I admit I can see your point! For some bands music it is needed, but only because they use the modern way of studio recording as an instrument. The bands I struggle with write straightforward songs that only come alive if they perform live, and even then its make or break as modern production makes a lot of very poor artists sound strong!

And I think if one compares these two breakup albums they may note a difference: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Adele's 21. Even if you dislike the music, their is no denying that the Mac stand up better. The production is perfect for the genre. Same goes for early Madonna and Lady Gaga.

And I am sorry, but as much as I love Clockwork Angels, I wish it had been recorded, mixed and produced to the same standards as an album like A Farewell To Kings. I do think CA stands up amazingly well, mind you. But for thoee spoilt for choice by growing up with the early Rush albums when they were first released, I can understand their frustration with the muddy sound of the last few releases. Music isn't progressing, its mostly struggling! And I listen to a lot of modern music, so don't accuse me of being stuck in the past!

..heterogeneous in the sense that each musical instrument is clearly distinct and separate from the central "glob" of sound that u hear from them, nowadays (like a nebula). I miss the clean, hetero- "precision"-type albums like PermWavs, MPs, P/G. Seems now everything is a bit overproduced with overreliance on technology, which has given the wall of sound that we've been subjected to over the past decade or so.

Why couldn't Rush revert back to older (sacre' bleu!) instruments/speakers in studio, then use their newer instruments in concert? Does anyone remember the beautiful tightness and clarity of Neil's kits in the 80s? Now its like, well, tupperware! (credit to whomever penned this term, btw, lol).

What about Alex's soaring and razor-edged strats (and poor little dusty chorus box)? Why couldn't Gedsy sneak a stealth Rickenbacker into the studio and then swap it out in concert?

Am I being unrealistic thinking they would ever divert from their full-spectrum aural productions? Are u in favor of my aforementioned thoughts? What do u think?

Btw, Tom Sawyer just began playing on the radio as I wrote the last sentence. Quite apropos!

Why can't RUSH go backwards and be more like you want them to be?

Is that the question?

Why can't RUSH do something they already did?

I can see the point that people make about the clean sound of great Rush albums from the 70s. I love the sound of those albums, and I too sort of miss that style of instrumentation and production. At the same time, though, the modern Rush sound doesn't bother me. While theoretically I might like recent Rush material even more if it had that kind of crisp production, I already love it so much that I don't feel any lack or disappointment when I listen to it. To me, complaining about the production would be a bit like complaining that the million dollars I was given as a gift wasn't presented to me in nice enough bank notes.
  • Like 1

I agree, but in all honesty I still feel my generation have the worst sounding records since forever.

I agree, but in all honesty I still feel my generation have the worst sounding records since forever.

True. And I don't think it's laziness or not seeing the big picture, or thinking that loudness is preferable to dynamics.

I mean, it's some of those things, but until listening experiences change, production won't change. Most young people (the ones spending the money) listen to their music with crappy earbuds or in crappy car stereos, or with crappy mono bluetooth speakers. In all those cases, "improving" (adding dynamics to) the production makes little difference to the listeners because of the output limitations.

Until the quality of output devices improves (I fear the opposite - cheaper and worse-sounding speakers will continue to be made), producers will still aim for the lowest common denominator and make loud music.

Having said all that, why can't bands release loud SINGLES (for radio, Pandora, etc.), followed by dynamic ALBUMS for the rest of us? Include the loud single versions as bonus tracks if you want.

..heterogeneous in the sense that each musical instrument is clearly distinct and separate from the central "glob" of sound that u hear from them, nowadays (like a nebula). I miss the clean, hetero- "precision"-type albums like PermWavs, MPs, P/G. Seems now everything is a bit overproduced with overreliance on technology, which has given the wall of sound that we've been subjected to over the past decade or so.

Why couldn't Rush revert back to older (sacre' bleu!) instruments/speakers in studio, then use their newer instruments in concert? Does anyone remember the beautiful tightness and clarity of Neil's kits in the 80s? Now its like, well, tupperware! (credit to whomever penned this term, btw, lol).

What about Alex's soaring and razor-edged strats (and poor little dusty chorus box)? Why couldn't Gedsy sneak a stealth Rickenbacker into the studio and then swap it out in concert?

Am I being unrealistic thinking they would ever divert from their full-spectrum aural productions? Are u in favor of my aforementioned thoughts? What do u think?

Btw, Tom Sawyer just began playing on the radio as I wrote the last sentence. Quite apropos!

Is that the question?

Its not going backwards, per se, but returning to certain, key elements of their music that were defining trademarks for them throughout their evolution. Face it- They are no longer evolving, but instead stuck on a declining tangent for over a decade, at least in musical terms. They are creatively tapped-out, imo. What other choice are they going to make at this juncture? I can guarantee more of the same vein of this weak-ass musical style. They've gotten to be so damned predictable. Why can't a return to the multitude of historically successful elements of their music be considered a form of evolution?

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Of course the worthless troll expresses his distaste in the most dismissive and immature ways possible. Care to provide any objective reasoning as to why it was "a shit of a song" or are you just going to run away as usual? Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 1

Of course the worthless troll expresses his distaste in the most dismissive and immature ways possible. Care to provide any objective reasoning as to why it was "a shit of a song" or are you just going to run away as usual?

I originally considered methodological dissection of the song, piece by piece, analyzing the different facets of its structure and how each intertwined and interacted with the others on various temporal rates of progression before realizing that it was simply a piece of sh!t.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Of course the worthless troll expresses his distaste in the most dismissive and immature ways possible. Care to provide any objective reasoning as to why it was "a shit of a song" or are you just going to run away as usual?

I originally considered methodological dissection of the song, piece by piece, analyzing the different facets of its structure and how each intertwined and interacted with the others on various temporal rates of progression before realizing that it was simply a piece of sh!t.

You realized that your methodological dissection would simply turn out to be a piece of shit, so you abandoned the idea? How humble of you to admit that. :cheers:

• Like 2

Nope...not at all. They can just continue this trajectory of awesome writing. Clockwork Angels sounds awesome and has incredible symmetry. I pray they never go back because they sound better than ever in the now!!! This latest release proves the band is still peaking.
  • Like 1

Nope...not at all. They can just continue this trajectory of awesome writing. Clockwork Angels sounds awesome and has incredible symmetry. I pray they never go back because they sound better than ever in the now!!! This latest release proves the band is still peaking.

I still believe u are on Rush's payroll.

Is that the question?

Its not going backwards, per se, but returning to certain, key elements of their music that were defining trademarks for them throughout their evolution. Face it- They are no longer evolving, but instead stuck on a declining tangent for over a decade, at least in musical terms. They are creatively tapped-out, imo. What other choice are they going to make at this juncture? I can guarantee more of the same vein of this weak-ass musical style. They've gotten to be so damned predictable. Why can't a return to the multitude of historically successful elements of their music be considered a form of evolution?

Really? Recording and Touring with a string section is not evolving? Off with his head Michonne!

http://splashpage.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/splash/2012/11/twd_ep7_2.jpg

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Is that the question?

Really? Recording and Touring with a string section is not evolving? Off with his head Michonne!

Is it to late to add a keyboard player? :beathorse: :facepalm:

Is that the question?

Hey L2K take it easy on Gemini...maybe he's just hurting from something in the past like Terry Brown getting the boot. But hey, at least he's communicating with the rest of the world. It may be from a closet wearing nothing but a diaper and a crash helmet, but he's at least trying to make sense of his quandry
  • Like 1

Is that the question?

As long as its me! :dweez:

Is that the question?

If Rush ever added another person it should be Rik Emmett
  • Like 2

Is that the question?

Hey L2K take it easy on Gemini...maybe he's just hurting from something in the past like Terry Brown getting the boot. But hey, at least he's communicating with the rest of the world. It may be from a closet wearing nothing but a diaper and a crash helmet, but he's at least trying to make sense of his quandry

He just doesn't get that Neil laid out the entire band's future way back when he wrote: "No changes are permanent, only change!" He basically told everyone we are going to keep changing whether you like us or not. All aboard! Then they came out with a keyboard prominent album called Signals. Clockwork Angels is the present equivalent of that change way back in the early 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if they tour with an entire orchestra or even a keyboardist next.

Headline: Rick Wakeman joins RUSH! Start the Countdown !

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

Is that the question?

He just doesn't get that Neil laid out the entire band's future way back when he wrote: "No changes are permanent, only change!" He basically told everyone we are going to keep changing whether you like us or not. All aboard! Then they came out with a keyboard prominent album called Signals. Clockwork Angels is the present equivalent of that change way back in the early 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if they tour with an entire orchestra or even a keyboardist next.

Headline: Rick Wakeman joins RUSH! Star the Countdown !

Dude why can't Rick and Rik BOTH join the band?

Is that the question?

If Rush ever added another person it should be Rik Emmett

Why cause of his vocals? Randy Jackson from Zebra would actually sound better on vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PF01cgLqo

This would have sounded much better without those annoying Lead Guitar solos everywhere! Anyway the vocals are the reason I posted it.

Edited by losingit2k

Is that the question?

Headline: Rick Wakeman joins RUSH! Start the Countdown !

Dude why can't Rick and Rik BOTH join the band?

"Cause Geddy's voice is still gratifying and they don't need another guitarist. Now a keyboardist that would be different and It would free up Geddy to concentrate on his bass and Vocals. Besides imagine all the songs that might show up live. Countdown, Available Light, Second Nature, Different Strings, Tears, Even Losing It if they drag Ben Mink up on stage! :drool: I feel a setlist coming on!

Edited by losingit2k

Emmett for the vocals and Wakeman for the keyboards. We could let Emmett bring his guitar along to if he insisted. :guitar: I would be there for that show. Bring the strings along too, just for kicks. To quote a famous man who once said and I paraphrase......... " The words have never been uttered, that doesn't suit Rush " or something like that. Edited by Narpet

R41: An Evening with Rush and Friends!

Set 1:

The Big Money

Subdivisions

Lock And Key

Afterimage

Mission

Witch Hunt

Between The Wheels

Distant Early Warning

Available Light

Headlong Flight

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Stings (With Extended Gtr Solo)

Natural Science

The Camera Eye

Introduction of Rick Wakman: Keyboard Solo/

Countdown

Introduction of Ben Mink: Losing It

Introduction of Amy Mann: Time Stand Still

Marathon

YYZ / (Drum Solo)

Alex's Solo / The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Limelight