Why don't you like Clockwork Angels?

x1yyz

So, hot on the heels of the Album Rankings thread, I'm wondering why not many people have ranked Clockwork Angels as one of their favourite Rush albums. Personally I think it's their best album since 1980, and possibly their best ever. If you don't think so, why not? (I'm just curious.)

I thought I saw a lot of people rank CA pretty high in that thread. It sits at #6 for me. Pretty darn high.

Yeah, I checked out that Ranking thread and noticed most people have CA in their top 10. Not too shabby. x1yyz, I don't get the gist of your thread.

I think CA is Rush's most mature effort and, for me, it ranks right up beside Moving Pictures (#1). I still think Clockwork Angels is an absolutely brilliant album.

No bloom off the rose yet ...

• Like 3

Yeah, I checked out that Ranking thread and noticed most people have CA in their top 10. Not too shabby. x1yyz, I don't get the gist of your thread.

Well, being in the top 10 of a list with only 19 entries isn't exactly stellar.

I just went back and added up the numbers. Clockwork Angels ranked an average of 7 on peoples' lists, and on 4 lists it was in the bottom half. Only 2 people (myself included) ranked it in their top 3, and about half (7/13) ranked it in their top 5.

Personally, I think it's a phenomenal album, and I was just curious about why some others didn't think the same way.

CA is a great effort, especially when you factor in the stage of their career. You can tell a lot of thought and hard work went into it, which is not often the case with a late-career band. The only complaint I can come up with is the sound quality. It's much better than VT, but not as good as many of their older recordings. Seems like sound should be getting better over time, not worse. I might not care as much with other bands, but good sound quality on Rush recordings is a must! That's just how it is.
  • Like 1

I just went back and added up the numbers. Clockwork Angels ranked an average of 7 on peoples' lists, and on 4 lists it was in the bottom half. Only 2 people (myself included) ranked it in their top 3, and about half (7/13) ranked it in their top 5.

Personally, I think it's a phenomenal album, and I was just curious about why some others didn't think the same way.

Out of that teeny tiny sample, as you calculated, it averaged 7th out of the 20 albums (19 original material) RUSH put out. That's good. It's been out 15 months. A lot of people like Rush albums they've known for 30 years better than CA. It shouldn't be shocking. :huh:

Edited by Lerxster

It's #1 for me, along with Hemispheres. I didn't rank the albums because I can't assign each one an individual rank. I could come up with a list of perhaps five tiers in which to put all the Rush albums, but for me, #1 through #19 simply can't be done.

• Like 1

As an old school Rush fan, I am absolutely thrilled with Clockwork Angels. I haven't been this excited about a new album since probably Presto (and that was when I was a high school fanboi and seldom listened to any music other than Rush. I no longer listen to Presto). My first live show was Hold Your Fire and this was the first Rush tour that I have ever been to where I hoped they played a lot of the music from the new album as opposed to older stuff.

To quote the pedlar, "What do you lack?"

• Like 3

Out of that teeny tiny sample, as you calculated, it averaged 7th out of the 20 albums (19 original material) RUSH put out. That's good. It's been out 15 months. A lot of people like Rush albums they've known for 30 years better than CA. It shouldn't be shocking. :huh:

Agreed. I put the album at 5, I think, and was surprised more than half agreed.

Im still not sure what to think about CA. At first I really couldnt get into it. Then I really started to like it, listened to it a ton. Now I am starting to cool on it big time. I think i ranked it about 12 or 13. I do think its of great quality.

I did read the book, which was alright, nice adventure story. At first I felt the story made me get into the album more, now I am feeling the oppisate. I really love majority of Rush lyrics, and I really like the fact they in general they arent too straight forward, its like you have a jigsaw puzzle that is 40% complete, and you might have to fill in the last 60% with your own creativity.

knowing the story and everything, I cant help but look at the lyrics as the words of the characters in the story, somehow it feels kind of restraining, like I cant decide what they mean for myself?

It is entirely possible that no one can relate to how I feel about this, just throwing it out there

• Like 1

I love it - easily the best since Moving Pictures, and ranked right behind MP at #2 for my favorite Rush album (Permanent Waves is #3).
  • Like 3

Im still not sure what to think about CA. At first I really couldnt get into it. Then I really started to like it, listened to it a ton. Now I am starting to cool on it big time. I think i ranked it about 12 or 13. I do think its of great quality.

I did read the book, which was alright, nice adventure story. At first I felt the story made me get into the album more, now I am feeling the oppisate. I really love majority of Rush lyrics, and I really like the fact they in general they arent too straight forward, its like you have a jigsaw puzzle that is 40% complete, and you might have to fill in the last 60% with your own creativity.

knowing the story and everything, I cant help but look at the lyrics as the words of the characters in the story, somehow it feels kind of restraining, like I cant decide what they mean for myself?

It is entirely possible that no one can relate to how I feel about this, just throwing it out there

I think I kind of know what you mean. I didn't like the book very much, and that did affect my enjoyment of the album a little bit. So after I read it, I had to make a conscious effort to forget about the book and re-envision the story for myself through focussing on the intensity and the emotions of the music. Going to gigs definitely helped in that department. Now I love the album more than ever and generally just try to ignore the fact that the book even exists.

• Like 1

I think Rush peaked in their career once again with that album as they did with Moving Pictures and 2112. The only low point is "Wish Them Well." But the album is so good so that song just kind of fills in. It will be interesting to see what the follow up to Clockwork Angels will be like. Signals was a big let down to some as Moving Pictures was so great. But that is right around the time I really started to like Rush and Signals came out in an era when not only was I very young and many things were new to me but during a time when many new and cool things were coming out like MTV and all the arcade games. Signals also came out during a time when alot of music was good so it was well surrounded by a context of music from a variety of genres that were making good songs and videos and in an era where rock and metal were still delivering as well as the early MTV New Wave. Had I been a first generation Rush fan and in my later 20's when Signals came out I may have had difficulty adjusting to the sound and the 80's in general because reality would have been ruining my life. Not the case though, I was about to become a teenager and life was alot more fun in most ways then. But if the next Rush album were to take a total dive then would it make Clockwork Angels sound not so good? Some of Rush's albums are boosted because of the peak albums. Would you enjoy Caress Of Steel as much had 2112 never happened? I think I am able to appreciate going back and listening to Snakes and Arrows more simply because of the direction it took Rush and now knowing what was to come next. But there is something to be said for the test of time and the memories that we associate to the songs we grew up with. I know when life wasn't going so well it can ruin songs that remind us of those times. Rush music was more fun when rock music was more popular. Now the industry is so corporate and the art, creativity, and originality has been taken out of music. And when classic bands put out new material the radio just doesn't play it. So who do we really have to enjoy the new Rush with until we go to the shows? With all that being said, every Rush album has songs that I absolutely love like a favorite. But with Clockwork Angels, they nailed it from begining to end. And its got power and almost sounds like a Metal album. It hasn't been embedded in my head for 30 years like my all time favorites but it quickly went to the top with my favorites. I've been listening to it for over a year now and I am still really enjoying it. It's hard to just listen to one song on that album without listening to the whole thing. Very few albums can do this from any band. Operation Mindcrime from Queensryche had that same affect on me for years! So I am sure Clockwork will hold me over just fine until the next Rush album. I feel sorry for any Rush fan that doesn't appreciate this album.
  • Like 2

I've given up on trying to figure out why I don't like the post year 2000 RUSH.I have moved on . I started listening to other bands and other types of music.BUT!!!! if I was going to provide a opinion and I have to search hard for the right words as to not start a shiesse storm of rebuttles . As a amatuer musician myself and destined to never reach the pinnacle of acomplishment of one of my favorite bands, I know just how hard it is to craft a song. Yet alone a song other people like. RUSH had it from the beginning . They may of not hit on all cylanders but they were never boring . THIS STUFF IS BORING. I don't know why it just doesn't click with me . Maybe a fan can overdose on a band and never become excited with new material . I do know at one time in my life RUSH was it . From 1981 to 1985 .Now since 2000 I have not liked one thing they have done. I enjoyed the concerts and are happy they are still doing what they enjoy . I just don't feel it . Quite simply it is not worth anymore brain power trying to figure out. of course if they release more material I will check it out . And I might even go see them again but that is it . I can't blame Nick anymore as I can Al,Ged and Neil . I keep waiting for the next epic RUSH release and everyone was sure this was it . But now we have threads asking why some of us hate it . If it is truley epic there would be no threads to figure out why some hate it .

I have to agree with this and struggle now with every album they put out! I'm hanging on hoping that they will return to form again before it's too late! How anyone can say it's their no1 Rush album beats me!

Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1