The 48 Laws of Power & other corporate self help books

Rod in Toronto

I´m currently reading this one, and find that some of the "laws" are quite helpful if you are in the corporate world. Another worth read is "How ro Work For An Idiot", which despite the humorous title, has some great advice as well.

I´m generally averse to these professional self help books, but these two I can easily recommend. And I´ve never read The Art of War, Who Moved My Cheese or Rich Dad Poor Dad, but a Brazilian guy released one years ago which was quite funny, "The Art of War for Who Moved the Cheese of the Rich Dad". Not sure if this was translated to English, but it´s definitely a worht read, especially if you´re leaving the corporate world to try out a different way of earning bread.

I'm not overly fond of those books myself, most are full of padding. However I did on find Who Moved My Cheese? helpful. I was waiting for a plane after a Jon Anderson, and I saw it. Read it in an hour. I now give a copy to all my staff upon induction.

But the best one is The Unwritten Laws of Business by WJ King. Simple stuff, but very effective. Benefits everyone, from a trainee to a CEO.

I find it amusing that the 48 Laws of Power is considered a self help business book. It is also the most requested book in prison libraries, I can attest to this since I work in a correctional library and it is always checked out (we have 30 copies of it). I see more as a way to manipulate people not an admirable way to do business IMHO.

Yes and no, Rhyta. While I find that some of the "laws" tend to be manipulative (take Law 7, for example: "Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit"), others are VERY good advice to survive in the corporate world (Law 4, for example: Always say less than necessary). It depends how you use it I guess...I´m reading it in order to be a bit more savvy where I work, and to prevent being outsmarted by some people around me who I suspect have read this book! :|