Artists for adolescents ready for "serious" music

coventry

Hey all,

So, every few years I update my Top Ten (or so) musical artists that high school juniors and seniors shoudl start listening to if they want to get into "serious" music now and in college. I try to stay away from the big-time names (like Zep or The Police) and from the seriously adult artists (like Buckley or TV on the Radio). I usually include Radiohead, Rush, Jay-Z, Nas, maybe the White Stripes, Sufjan Stevens, Death Cab, M83.

But what other artists from the past 15 years - maximum - should I put on the list?

Thanks for your suggestions.

s

I'm a sophmore in highschool right now...I am a big fan of Slash's solo work with his last two albums, and his live show is fantastic - just pure energy. Especially for a guitarist i think he's someone good to listen to because his use of some interesting scales and modes he chooses in his solos. Maybe add Scorpion Child to your list or The Cult or maybe Herbie Hancock. Theres also a local band from St. Louis called LOGOS that i heard on the local rock radio station that was pretty good.

are we just naming bands we like or something?

Nah. think of bands and artists that are springboards to appreciating deeper, more naunced music. Herbie Hancock is a good example already mentioned, as is Sigur Ros, M83, even Snow Patrol.

Hey all,

So, every few years I update my Top Ten (or so) musical artists that high school juniors and seniors shoudl start listening to if they want to get into "serious" music now and in college. I try to stay away from the big-time names (like Zep or The Police) and from the seriously adult artists (like Buckley or TV on the Radio). I usually include Radiohead, Rush, Jay-Z, Nas, maybe the White Stripes, Sufjan Stevens, Death Cab, M83.

But what other artists from the past 15 years - maximum - should I put on the list?

Thanks for your suggestions.

s

Go back more than 15 years and you'll find a gold mine of music. Why go back only 15 years ?