Something I'd love to see!

WavesandWindows

Suppose I say that the band should again remix the 20 albums, but do something more... If they were to follow my advice here, they would be doing a little bit of a new recording session for music released 40 years ago. On Rush, release Garden Road and the other song from that era that's unreleased, Fly By Night's prologue could be released, starting with Caress of Steel, I'd love to see the epics released as several different songs (one for each movement), 2112's songs have solos that fade out, I want to hear the end of them. A Farewell To Kings has a fade-out during Cllser to the Heart, I'd love to hear a bit of a re-recording to include the jam section from most of the live shows. Hemispheres doesn't need a single thing done to it, finish off the Different Strings solo on Permanent Waves. Give me the ending to the songs on Moving Pictures. Sgnals is fine, Grace Under Pressure is fine, Power Windows could have a bit of an edgier guitar sound I think, but it is also fine. Hold Your Fire could have an edited track listing, Presto p they can do whatever they want with, Roll's fine, Counterparts could have an edited track list, Test Flr Echo..... It's good, I guess, but there's a little bit of a problem called Dog Years, maybe edit the lyrics a little bit. Vapor Trails simply needs a remix, Feedback could have a few more covers added, Snakes And Arrows is fine, although I think Hope is really an intro to Faithless, s maybe edit them into one track, Clockwork Angels just needs maybe a tiny little adjustment to the strings, just to make them a little bit louder.

Live albums have a little something to edit too. I'd love to see one FULL show instead of several greatest hits songs from the tour. All The World's A Stage almost meets that briefing, but some songs are removed, as I was told they played Necromancer and the work in progress Xanadu. Release the entire Moving Pictures tour live, ditto the Grace Under Pressure tour, A Show Of Hands had a great setlist, I'd love to have a CD copy of that. Different Stages, please fix the lack of T4E songs that were p,aced but unreleased, R30 had a great setlist, again want all of it on CD. Sure, a fair bit of this is on bootleg albums, but would love to see the fully mixed album version.

Yeah, I may be crazy, but don't you guys out there on the Rush Forum want this? Add what you'd like to see

• Like 1

It's been common knowledge for a while that they record the shows. I would like to see some of those shows released the way King Crimson has done it, a website with flac or mp3s for sale.
  • Like 3

Suppose I say that the band should again remix the 20 albums, but do something more... If they were to follow my advice here, they would be doing a little bit of a new recording session for music released 40 years ago. On Rush, release Garden Road and the other song from that era that's unreleased, Fly By Night's prologue could be released, starting with Caress of Steel, I'd love to see the epics released as several different songs (one for each movement), 2112's songs have solos that fade out, I want to hear the end of them. A Farewell To Kings has a fade-out during Cllser to the Heart, I'd love to hear a bit of a re-recording to include the jam section from most of the live shows. Hemispheres doesn't need a single thing done to it, finish off the Different Strings solo on Permanent Waves. Give me the ending to the songs on Moving Pictures. Sgnals is fine, Grace Under Pressure is fine, Power Windows could have a bit of an edgier guitar sound I think, but it is also fine. Hold Your Fire could have an edited track listing, Presto p they can do whatever they want with, Roll's fine, Counterparts could have an edited track list, Test Flr Echo..... It's good, I guess, but there's a little bit of a problem called Dog Years, maybe edit the lyrics a little bit. Vapor Trails simply needs a remix, Feedback could have a few more covers added, Snakes And Arrows is fine, although I think Hope is really an intro to Faithless, s maybe edit them into one track, Clockwork Angels just needs maybe a tiny little adjustment to the strings, just to make them a little bit louder.

Live albums have a little something to edit too. I'd love to see one FULL show instead of several greatest hits songs from the tour. All The World's A Stage almost meets that briefing, but some songs are removed, as I was told they played Necromancer and the work in progress Xanadu. Release the entire Moving Pictures tour live, ditto the Grace Under Pressure tour, A Show Of Hands had a great setlist, I'd love to have a CD copy of that. Different Stages, please fix the lack of T4E songs that were p,aced but unreleased, R30 had a great setlist, again want all of it on CD. Sure, a fair bit of this is on bootleg albums, but would love to see the fully mixed album version.

Yeah, I may be crazy, but don't you guys out there on the Rush Forum want this? Add what you'd like to see

Sure - have Rush change their artistic history to fit what you - in all your critical gravitas - think they should have done. Never mind the albums being personal and artistic historical markers. Never mind the incredible amount of time and effort it would take to do these suggestions. Never mind the fact that rarely does any artist ever want to revisit something he or she made two or three decades previously to "update" it. These aren't clothing styles.

Sorry for crapping in your cornflakes, but this is one of the more absurd ideas I've read on any Rush forum.

• Like 1

I'm going to jump onboard the live recordings tangent. With all the technology available today, it would seemingly be quite easy to be able to record each Rush show through soundboard and have it for sale at a website, like Metallica does. I was tickled when I was able to get a recording of a Metallica show I went to. Rush is putting on tremendous shows, and I think it's worth it to capture more than just one each tour, for the official release.

How many of us going to Rush shows would pay to have a copy of that show to listen to? And how many of us would also buy the official live release when it comes out? It just seems that this is such a good idea, and easy to do, and the band could make an extra little profit on it, and the fans would be some happy clams.

And I totally agree with having the entire shows released, if the back catalog gets remastered or whatever you mentioned, OP. I think for the R30 recording, a few songs were omittted (and maybe only on the cd) because they had been played on the previous tour, and were thus supplementary. No! All songs should be present and accounted for. And this is the only way to get that full concert listening experience - having all the songs there to listen to from start to finish, as it actually happened in real life.

• Like 1

I think it's a pretty cool idea, Coventry. Simmer down.

Yeah, I was a bit aggro this morning. The live show aspect I can see - in this day and age, most bands have or can arrange multiple camera set-ups at shows far in advance and then either stream the concerts or offer them for sale on dvd or via mp3, etc.

But the whole altering the catalog idea is crap. Other than as a money-maker - which it would be quickly seen as - what purpose does it accomplish?

Yeah, I was a bit aggro this morning. The live show aspect I can see - in this day and age, most bands have or can arrange multiple camera set-ups at shows far in advance and then either stream the concerts or offer them for sale on dvd or via mp3, etc.

But the whole altering the catalog idea is crap. Other than as a money-maker - which it would be quickly seen as - what purpose does it accomplish?

First off, thanks for the support ShlappinDahBass. And Coventry, I do believe you may be right, I did violate their creativity. I'm saying things maybe I shouldn't have. Still, please bare with me. I was quite dizzy and my mind was somewhere else, as I just had a Collagen Cross-Linking operation. I think that we should completely disregard that top bit as an act of craziness, but the other half remains as a valid point.

But still, I would love the LiveRush site idea to become more than a crazy idea in my head. I think they could utilise a site like YouTube to make their own website dedicated to capturing a live performance. Maybe not every night, but a few times a tour. Then the Rush crew may manage to extract the audio from the show and offer it as a live album. (Maybe, if they aren't open to absolutely everyone who wants a copy of a show to have it for a set amount of money, they can offer them at the door of the venue?)

Edited by WavesandWindows

I'm going to jump onboard the live recordings tangent. With all the technology available today, it would seemingly be quite easy to be able to record each Rush show through soundboard and have it for sale at a website, like Metallica does. I was tickled when I was able to get a recording of a Metallica show I went to. Rush is putting on tremendous shows, and I think it's worth it to capture more than just one each tour, for the official release.

How many of us going to Rush shows would pay to have a copy of that show to listen to? And how many of us would also buy the official live release when it comes out? It just seems that this is such a good idea, and easy to do, and the band could make an extra little profit on it, and the fans would be some happy clams.

And I totally agree with having the entire shows released, if the back catalog gets remastered or whatever you mentioned, OP. I think for the R30 recording, a few songs were omittted (and maybe only on the cd) because they had been played on the previous tour, and were thus supplementary. No! All songs should be present and accounted for. And this is the only way to get that full concert listening experience - having all the songs there to listen to from start to finish, as it actually happened in real life.

The blu-ray has the missing songs, but not all the extras from the DVD so it's worth owning both.

• Like 1

First off, thanks for the support ShlappinDahBass. And Coventry, I do believe you may be right, I did violate their creativity. I'm saying things maybe I shouldn't have. Still, please bare with me. I was quite dizzy and my mind was somewhere else, as I just had a Collagen Cross-Linking operation. I think that we should completely disregard that top bit as an act of craziness, but the other half remains as a valid point.

But still, I would love the LiveRush site idea to become more than a crazy idea in my head. I think they could utilise a site like YouTube to make their own website dedicated to capturing a live performance. Maybe not every night, but a few times a tour. Then the Rush crew may manage to extract the audio from the show and offer it as a live album. (Maybe, if they aren't open to absolutely everyone who wants a copy of a show to have it for a set amount of money, they can offer them at the door of the venue?)

Apologies for jumping down your throat, Waves.

But then again, with each Rush show being more or less the same set and duration as the next (A nights and B night variations aside), would there be a market for the live performances - especially if just about every show was filmed? I would suggest they stream the shows, but since Rush tends to pull from the local population for shows (unlike, say, Phish, whose fans flock from all around the region), would that offset ticket sales?

But then again, with each Rush show being more or less the same set and duration as the next (A nights and B night variations aside), would there be a market for the live performances - especially if just about every show was filmed? I would suggest they stream the shows, but since Rush tends to pull from the local population for shows (unlike, say, Phish, whose fans flock from all around the region), would that offset ticket sales?

I have my doubts we'll see the release of the band's live archives any time soon. Geddy is obsessive about what live recordings are released so it is probably something that might come along after the band stops touring. At that point they could probably make a mint.

Oh, good point. I didn't quite think of that. Don't apologise for Jumpng Down my throat Coventry, it's the only way I learn, so I should in fact thank you. Perhaps have the streaming people updated on he set,istand if it's a little bit different, stream it and add it to the site. If it was only done for the few different shows, that would possible defeat an offset of ticket sales. If that isn't enough, take it off after 2 weeks. Then it couldn't be watched until the first show of the next leg, 2 weeks after that leg starts, it's gone

Edited by WavesandWindows

I have my doubts we'll see the release of the band's live archives any time soon. Geddy is obsessive about what live recordings are released so it is probably something that might come along after the band stops touring. At that point they could probably make a mint.

Oh, I had no idea that Geddy obsessed over such things, although he, of all people, should realise that releasing the live recordings would make millions of old school fans happy, seeing as though they were in the crowds at those tours

From interviews I've read he is very controlling about what live or studio material is released. He does not approve of bootlegs. i feel him because i'm a bit of a control freak myself, but there is no way he can control what bootlegs get out there. He has kept soundboard recordings from getting out there lately, but at some point he should go the way of Robert Fripp and grab all the boots he can get along with the bands own archives and set up some king of website distribution. it would make us happy and the band a bit of scratch. In The End (see what I did there?) we are all happy.
  • Like 2

From interviews I've read he is very controlling about what live or studio material is released. He does not approve of bootlegs. i feel him because i'm a bit of a control freak myself, but there is no way he can control what bootlegs get out there. He has kept soundboard recordings from getting out there lately, but at some point he should go the way of Robert Fripp and grab all the boots he can get along with the bands own archives and set up some king of website distribution. it would make us happy and the band a bit of scratch. In The End (see what I did there?) we are all happy.

I get that completely. I don't know who Robert Fripp is. I do see what you did there

I get that completely. I don't know who Robert Fripp is. I do see what you did there

Ooooh Oh Oh, you don't know who Robert Fripp is.? OMG. He is only in one of the few bands that measure up to Rush for over 40 years. It's called King Crimson. Thou must check it out.

Robert Fripp is the fellow at the beginning that starts the song...

• Like 1

Oh, King Crimsona. Now I know him. See, when someone says the name of such and such, then I get it. You see, I'm pretty dumb. Evidence? Look at my last couple of threads.....yeah, I'm pretty dumb

Ooooh Oh Oh, you don't know who Robert Fripp is.? OMG. He is only in one of the few bands that measure up to Rush for over 40 years. It's called King Crimson. Thou must check it out.

http://youtu.be/eGNcU8Goc5w

Crimson = awesome, but watching Bill Bruford play his awful electronic drum kit makes me want to listen to a Master Joyboy remix of Rivendell 20 times consecutively.

http://youtu.be/eGNcU8Goc5w

Now I see where Umphrey's Mcgee gets a lot of their influence from.

Oh...my...God...

PM me and I will tell you everything you want to know about this awesome musician!!! :cool:

Cheers,

frippy

http://files.sharenator.com/what_the_fuck_Holy_Fucking_Fuck-s364x493-189618-550.jpg

Wow, and people think that I'M critical of the band! :eh: