Steptoe and Son

blackhawkrush

Yeah Open all Hours was good too, featuring Ronnie Barker from Porridge and David Jason from Only Fools and Horses (he also made a few guest appearances in Porridge).

Hey I forgot that! He was Blanco (sp?), the old inmate who was in for murder. One of my favourite Porridge episodes was when they were all in the prison hospital & Fletch & Blanco duped the other guy into digging for stolen loot when he got out & he was caught on Elland Road pitch with a spade! :notworthy: :LOL: !!

Yeah that's it, old Blanco which was ironic because he played "young" Granville in Open All Hours.

That was a great episode yeah, he thought he found the loot until the floodlights came on! :16ton: :LOL:

Its easy to forget its david jason playing blanco, under the make up with his convincing acting of an old geezer.

Question; always wondered why david jason didn't go into big time film roles. He is such a good actor. Thinking miami twice( playing the mafia boss as well as his other great acting)

mainly, as its in the states, trying to emulate a big budget film. Guess he didn't want to pursue that path? :huh:

Yeah Open all Hours was good too, featuring Ronnie Barker from Porridge and David Jason from Only Fools and Horses (he also made a few guest appearances in Porridge).

Hey I forgot that! He was Blanco (sp?), the old inmate who was in for murder. One of my favourite Porridge episodes was when they were all in the prison hospital & Fletch & Blanco duped the other guy into digging for stolen loot when he got out & he was caught on Elland Road pitch with a spade! :notworthy: :LOL: !!

Yeah that's it, old Blanco which was ironic because he played "young" Granville in Open All Hours.

That was a great episode yeah, he thought he found the loot until the floodlights came on! :16ton: :LOL:

Its easy to forget its david jason playing blanco, under the make up with his convincing acting of an old geezer.

Question; always wondered why david jason didn't go into big time film roles. He is such a good actor. Thinking miami twice( playing the mafia boss as well as his other great acting)

mainly, as its in the states, trying to emulate a big budget film. Guess he didn't want to pursue that path? :huh:

I think he was like Ronnie Barker he didn't want to move to L.A. which he probably would have had to to do movies.

I think he was like Ronnie Barker he didn't want to move to L.A. which he probably would have had to to do movies.

Did Ronnie Barker and David jason have the chance, i mean offer, or a film outright, do you know? How does it work? Very familiar with david jason

In fools and horses(having the box set) and his acting is just amazing; be it comedy or serious, always 100 percent convincing. Always puzzled me.

Did Ronnie Barker and David jason have the chance, i mean offer, or a film outright, do you know? How does it work? Very familiar with david jason

In fools and horses(having the box set) and his acting is just amazing; be it comedy or serious, always 100 percent convincing. Always puzzled me.

I'm not sure to be honest, maybe they didn't, it takes luck and not even great actors always get it. To be honest they both had good offers and gigs on British TV that were too good to turn down as well.

Oddly enough I just heard the pilot for Steptoe ("The Offer") on radio tonight. Really engrossing stuff, funny & sad at the same time. A full episode of "The Desperate Hours" is on youtube. That is a great watch, one of the best half hours of British tv ever.

Featuring Leonard Rossiter?

I didn't get that far yet but yes. In "The Lead Man Cometh" it took me quite a while to recognize him. It was bothering me the entire episode...I know this guy. Who is he? :banghead:

Leonard Rossiter is in both "The Lead Man Cometh" and "The Desperate Hours".

Did you ever see Rising Damp? Leonard Rossiter's performances as Rigsby are legendary! One of the best British comedies ever.

My next series to watch was going to be "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" but I may have to change my plans. I'm not sure if all the episodes of "Rising Damp" are on youtube, though. I have seen The Fall and Rise..." I even saw that short series after Leonard died. Good stuff all around.

If I were you I'd go with Rising Damp, then Porridge, Only Fools and Horses and Dad's Army. These four shows represent the best British sitcoms of all time. I might also include Fawlty Towers too. These are shows where every episode is a classic. It Ain't Half Hot Mum is pretty good and it was the follow-up show to Dad's Army, created and written by the same people, but it never really matched it.

I watched Dad's Army a while back, loved it. Thanks for the other recommendations. :cheers:

Oddly enough I just heard the pilot for Steptoe ("The Offer") on radio tonight. Really engrossing stuff, funny & sad at the same time. A full episode of "The Desperate Hours" is on youtube. That is a great watch, one of the best half hours of British tv ever.

Featuring Leonard Rossiter?

I didn't get that far yet but yes. In "The Lead Man Cometh" it took me quite a while to recognize him. It was bothering me the entire episode...I know this guy. Who is he? :banghead:

Leonard Rossiter is in both "The Lead Man Cometh" and "The Desperate Hours".

Did you ever see Rising Damp? Leonard Rossiter's performances as Rigsby are legendary! One of the best British comedies ever.

My next series to watch was going to be "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" but I may have to change my plans. I'm not sure if all the episodes of "Rising Damp" are on youtube, though. I have seen The Fall and Rise..." I even saw that short series after Leonard died. Good stuff all around.

If I were you I'd go with Rising Damp, then Porridge, Only Fools and Horses and Dad's Army. These four shows represent the best British sitcoms of all time. I might also include Fawlty Towers too. These are shows where every episode is a classic. It Ain't Half Hot Mum is pretty good and it was the follow-up show to Dad's Army, created and written by the same people, but it never really matched it.

I watched Dad's Army a while back, loved it. Thanks for the other recommendations. :cheers:

Another couple of good ones are "The Good Life" and "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?" And if you like Sci-fi "Red Dwarf".

Rising Damp>Porridge>Steptoe>Open All Hours

And where does Dad's Army and Only Fools and Horses fit in in your arrow fest?

Ok, this is it! Rising Damp>Dad's Army>Fools and Horses>Porridge>Steptoe>Open All Hours

Agree or dis?

Ok, this is it! Rising Damp>Dad's Army>Fools and Horses>Porridge>Steptoe>Open All Hours

Agree or dis?

Mine would go more like this:

Rising Damp>Porridge>Fools & Horses>Dad's Army>Steptoe>Open All Hours

But on another day I could have it the other way round and put Dad's Army in first place, Steptoe and All Hours would always be 5th and 6th though in that order.

• Like 1

Agree or dis?

But on another day I could have it the other way round and put Dad's Army in first place, Steptoe and All Hours would always be 5th and 6th though in that order.

fools>porridge.rising damp>open all hours>steptoe>dads army.

Those 1st four are so close, depends on the day.

What about 'some mothers do have em'?

Found it bothering sometimes, then other times its hilarious. Seems dated more than others mentioned

Agree or dis?

Found it bothering sometimes, then other times its hilarious. Seems dated more than others mentioned

Some Mothers was good, but sometimes Michael Crawford's performance as Frank veered to far towards the ridiculous. When it was funny though it was really funny.

Reginald Perrin I could never quite get into.

Agree or dis?

Some Mothers was good, but sometimes Michael Crawford's performance as Frank veered to far towards the ridiculous. When it was funny though it was really funny.

Yeah, his behavior was strange to say the least. Still, I couldn't stop watching the show.

Agree or dis?

Find Some Mothers just too outdated and silly now, same goes for Fawlty. Reggie has some moments but nowhere near in the same class as Rigsby imo. A big fan of On the Buses as well, for some episodes at least.

A few that haven't been mentioned (probably because no one else likes them):

Citizen Smith

Get Some In

On The Buses

George & Mildred

Man about the House

"I 'ate you Butler" On the Buses from that lot for sure...Blakey and Stan were a comedic duo delight!

Citizen Smith

Get Some In

On The Buses

George & Mildred

Man about the House

"I 'ate you Butler" On the Buses from that lot for sure...Blakey and Stan were a comedic duo delight!

AAAARTHUUUR!

:LOL:

• Like 1

Citizen Smith

Get Some In

On The Buses

George & Mildred

Man about the House

Funny, i was thinking of some of those; on the buses, citizen smith.

'Just good friends' was good although it seemed to go on a bit too long .'dear john' i liked also, although that ended abrubtly.

Agree or dis?

Yeah reginald perrin was a bit dense, and impermeable for me, overall...it did have its moments though.

Citizen Smith

Get Some In

On The Buses

George & Mildred

Man about the House

'Just good friends' was good although it seemed to go on a bit too long .'dear john' i liked also, although that ended abrubtly.

Dear John was brilliant! I tried to get it on DVD but couldn't. What a great ensemble piece that was, so cleverly written & performed. Wish I could see it again.

Citizen Smith

Get Some In

On The Buses

George & Mildred

Man about the House

Dear John was brilliant! I tried to get it on DVD but couldn't. What a great ensemble piece that was, so cleverly written & performed. Wish I could see it again.

Yes, I enjoyed Dear John, and I agree that Just Good Friends did go on too long.

There are a lot of other (later than Steptoe) comedies I enjoyed as well - Chelmsford 123, Nightingales, Help! (1980's version) and more.

But anyway, here's a link to a list of British Comedies

Edited by metallithrax