Black Sabbath's THE SHINING poll - Donato vs Gillen vs Martin

H. P. L.

Which version of The Shining gets your blood pumping?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of The Shining gets your blood pumping?

• No Way Out sung by Dave "Fabio" Donato
    • The Shining sung by Ray Gillen
    • The Shining sung by Tony Martin
    • The chicks in the Martin video rule!

I never understood why Tony got so much flak from Sabbath fans - I really like Tyr and Headless Cross. He´s still going strong today, playing live and recording. His version gets my vote!

Ray Gillen is my fave. Just the way he goes for the higher note in "live long, live now" gives the song a totally different feeling. And the ad-libbing in the finale is so much better.

Love Tony Martin anyway. He gets a little bit of flack from Iommi's book, but still he did the job.

I never heard the other two versions of this song before. Still, I have to go with the Tony Martin version since that's the version of the song I've loved for the last 20 something years. The version with Gillen is good but his voice is too high and the song doesn't come off as dark as the Martin version does. It's Sabbath so it has to be dark and evil which is exactly what Tony Martin's version of the song accomplishes. The riff is also a bit heavier with Martin singing.

Now it's time for me to go listen to The Eternal Idol :haz: :haz:

I never heard the other two versions of this song before. Still, I have to go with the Tony Martin version since that's the version of the song I've loved for the last 20 something years. The version with Gillen is good but his voice is too high and the song doesn't come off as dark as the Martin version does. It's Sabbath so it has to be dark and evil which is exactly what Tony Martin's version of the song accomplishes. The riff is also a bit heavier with Martin singing.

Now it's time for me to go listen to The Eternal Idol :haz: :haz:

That's because Gillen's version is not mixed. It's been out for ages as a bootleg, but I think the remastered version of Eternal Idol (which was supposed to be called Blood God) has, as a bonus, all the songs with the Gillen vocals remixed. I will have to check that out, money permitting.