Near Miss Neil Sighting (Kinda Long)

Petamo

I think it all depends on how YOU act....

if ur doing the wayne's world, "we're not worthy."

it's gonna be weird....

if you just act as normal as possible and that he is not a big deal, i think you would have more success...

I think the moment you say, "oh my god, you're neil peart." you are finished....

he knows he's neil peart, and he generally doesn't like that he's neil peart from a rock star perspective....

i think if he was pumping gas and said, "hey, man, i didn't know bmw made motorcycles," or something similar....and never mentioned music or rush or the rock world or drumming, i think you are going to have a much better encounter....

i can see, after a two minute chat at a gas station or similar, as you are saying goodbye, hey, by the way, really big fan of the band, that might be okay, what's he going to do if you've already had the exchange....he might even smile and be cool if you were normal....

i would feel compelled at the end to say that I appreciated his career, although I feel like I would probably screw it up somehow....

Good rule of thumb for meeting anyone that's known publicly.

We all have our strengths and put out pants on the same way.

I've always thought that it would suck to not be able to go out in public in peace and have a beer or an order of wings w/o people fawning all over you. I would share in Neil's nightmare scenario there.

I cannot imagine anyone getting upset tho simply starting a normal conversation like one would have w/ anyone else tho.

I think if people actually took the time to think about what life would be like, on a daily basis, with people running up to you and going berzerk, and bowing down, and making fools of themselves, at random parts of the day, every day, it would be enough to drive a rational man insane. Only a psychopath would love that. It would really get irritating when you were simply trying to enjoy a meal or other activity. I'm thankful Neil doesn't want stalkers.

Well, then, when Rush became famous, he should have quit and gone to work in Wal-Mart or managed a TacoBell or something. He would have had all the privacy in the world. He could have set up his drums in his living room or garage and banged around on them every now and again.

How many guys would trade places with Neil in an instant?

I always marvel at famous people - be it rock stars, actors or actresses - who start mewling that they have no privacy. Thems the breaks, and part of the package deal.

I think if people actually took the time to think about what life would be like, on a daily basis, with people running up to you and going berzerk, and bowing down, and making fools of themselves, at random parts of the day, every day, it would be enough to drive a rational man insane. Only a psychopath would love that. It would really get irritating when you were simply trying to enjoy a meal or other activity. I'm thankful Neil doesn't want stalkers.

Well, then, when Rush became famous, he should have quit and gone to work in Wal-Mart or managed a TacoBell or something. He would have had all the privacy in the world. He could have set up his drums in his living room or garage and banged around on them every now and again.

I always marvel at famous people - be it rock stars, actors or actresses - who start mewling that they have no privacy. Thems the breaks, and part of the package deal.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! I guess it might be because Neil has been famous since his 20's that he has lost a "little" bit if reality of what it is like to be a normal nobody? Just my op.

• Like 1

I'll trade places with him for one year. He can come live here on our income. He may as well leave his motorcycle behind, because he won't be able to afford to put gas in it on our income.

After a year, I am sure he will appreciate what he now has with renewed gratitude. Of this I am confident.

Geddyforlife, you are right. Maybe he's been famous too long.

You see, I have a different mindset about rock stars and Neil. They are here to make music. They're not politicians, pro athletes, or actors who should be upholding some type of moral highground or obligation to cheerfully meet fans. You come for the music, correct? IMO, Neil doesn't owe anyone anything and it's pretty pompous to think otherwise. Great, you bought the album and paid to see the show so, how does that equate to, I DESERVE to meet Neil and he's f'd up if he won't let me? Further, don't interpret his behaviors as a lack of appreciation. He's very appreciative of his fans, but just isn't comfortable having people running up and gushing about it.

I'll trade places with him for one year. He can come live here on our income. He may as well leave his motorcycle behind, because he won't be able to afford to put gas in it on our income.

After a year, I am sure he will appreciate what he now has with renewed gratitude. Of this I am confident.

Geddyforlife, you are right. Maybe he's been famous too long.

For one whole year? My you are brave. ;)

I have a feeling he appreciates life and what he has just fine. I love it when folks think they know Neil, a stranger, so well that they can just tune in and understand his mind and thoughts, and extrapolate his entire philosophy on life, the universe and everything from some interviews or his books.

As much as we'd all like to meet our 'heroes', chat to them albeit just briefly adding a 'thank you so much for the music' at the end as if no one else had said it to them before, I think they do have a right to some privacy. Yes of course bumping into fans comes with the 'territory' but the guys have been doing this for 40 years now..it must get extremely tedious for all of them to constantly smile when they meet any one. I think Neil has a right to be left alone...just because I've seen them in concert 'x 'times, bought all the albums etc etc etc so have thousands of others. Multiply that couple of minute you'd like to spend with them by several thousand and it would mean they'd have no life of their own. I'm going to make do by sending an item to be signed to the venue, and hopefully it will come back signed. I can't hope for much more than that. I certainly can't afford £1000s for a brief somewhat fake 'meet and greet' set up where you stand for just a few seconds next to Alex and Geddy......

FOH and Lerxster, you read more into my post than I meant. Personally, I don't care if I ever met any of them. If I did, the most that I would do is smile and move along. i worked in Manhattan for decades, and walked past more famous people than I can tell you not to mention sitting next to them in bars or across the room from them in restaurants. Never once did I bother any one of them.

And please don't accuse me of trying to read Neil - or Geddy - or Alex.

But I have my own opinion about stars that whine about what comes with fame and money - losing their privacy. That is just the way it goes. I realize that we have more than usual the amount of lunatics in the world today that stalk. I understand that part.

I see no valid reason for invading anyone's privacy, regardless of how well known or famous that person may be. Saying "That's the way it goes," or "It comes with the territory," is just a cop-out, IMO. The amount of money the person makes is irrelevant. The amount of applause he gets on stage is irrelevant. Pretty much everything is irrelevant. If I'm expected to leave Joe Schmoe alone at the restaurant or supermarket, or on the sidewalk, then I'm expected to do the same with Ryan Braun, or Gwyneth Paltrow, or Neil Peart, or any other famous person. I am not entitled to any extra attention.

Paul Newman used to sign autographs....until some schmuck asked for one when Newman was using the freakin' URINAL. No more autographs for ANYONE after that....EVER.

• Like 1