Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

barney_rebel

Should have read it 30 years ago. Timing does matter with that book, I think. Three decades ago, to be so irreverant was pretty cutting edge. Not so much today.

Great characters, though!

Should have read it 30 years ago. Timing does matter with that book, I think. Three decades ago, to be so irreverant was pretty cutting edge. Not so much today.

Oh, I don't know if I totally agree with that. For example, Hunter S. Thompson was about as irreverant as there has ever been and many of his books are still cutting edge. I think there are various examples of irreverance in literature and film these days but many of those examples aren't very skillfully done. A lot of satirical work today is simply in your face but that doesn't necessarily mean it's intelligent...it's existence is only for shock value.

Oh, I don't know if I totally agree with that. For example, Hunter S. Thompson was about as irreverant as there has ever been and many of his books are still cutting edge. I think there are various examples of irreverance in literature and film these days but many of those examples aren't very skillfully done. A lot of satirical work today is simply in your face but that doesn't necessarily mean it's intelligent...it's existence is only for shock value.

I was thinking specifically of irreverance in the military. You are right that Thompson's material holds up better.