Fundraising at the office

Lost In Xanadu

Do you do it?

I hate it. I tell my kids that I will only bring in one to the office - ever. I don't want to be one of those people that brings something in 5 times a year. They get 1 office visit, that's it.... the rest is up to them to go door to door and earn themselves, or if it's a good enough cause, we just divert some funds we hold for charity to that event.

So, this morning my daughter asks me to take this thing for her into the office to raise some money for a program their school is doing to help special needs children in SE Wisconsin. I bring it in, a few coworkers sign up, nice. I ask one guy, who not only brings stuff in all the time, but actually got on me to buy into the raffle at his kids school. His fundraisers were not to help others, they were to reduce the private tuition cost of his kid's parochial schooling. I bought a couple tickets, twice - for each of his kids.

After I sent him a message, this is what I got back:

"Without getting into a debate about this, there are fundraisers I find acceptable and those I do not. I choose which limited fundraisers I participate in very carefully"

Basically said "it doesn't benefit me, so go f**k yourself" Real nice....

I'll only bring in girl scout cookies and cub scout popcorn. I sold a ton of girl scout cookies last month at the office. We go so many from school and from the after school program the kids are in. We don't even bother with some of them. It gets to be too much.

I had people coming to me to place orders for cookies this last time. Damn things sell themselves. :)

Well, now you know how to respond next time DC (Douchebag Coworker) wants you to support something for his kids.

I commend your decision to limit your kids to one each. We don't have a problem with it where I work - anyone who brings in fundraising signups just leaves the sheet on the breakroom table - but I've been in places where everyone was after us to buy something all the time, it seemed. The worst is when it's a supervisor; there's some unspoken pressure there.

I hate it when the local grocery chain lets scout groups set up to sell at every available entrance, every weekend during the school year. Some of those kids can get rather aggressive in their enthusiasm, never mind the parents. Give them one entrance and leave the pharmacy doorway for those of us who want to grocery shop in peace.

As for cookies and popcorn? I'd rather just hand the troop a check and forego the overpriced cookies and popcorn. Girl Scout cookies ARE good, but the troop gets only a percentage of the money. I'd rather they have something all to themselves. (I did do this very thing for a co-worker's Boy Scout sons. He never asked - I volunteered when it was popcorn time. I'd met his kids several times and they impressed me with their manners and maturity).

Edited by Mara

Before I was a SAHM I worked full-time doing the corporate thing. I never thought it inappropriate that co-workers would bring in their kids school/girl scout/boy scout fundraising eventsm. I always bought an equal amount from people for whatever event (just to be fair - plus, it's for kids and I'll support many school-related fundraising events). I like to do this. But I like to support schools and charities and always give at least something. Even when it's something I'm not gung-ho about. It's for the kids so I'll support it.

However, your co-worker there, is a top-notch jerk. Keep this email and throw it back at him when he tries to fundraise for his kids school.

• Like 1

Before I was a SAHM I worked full-time doing the corporate thing. I never thought it inappropriate that co-workers would bring in their kids school/girl scout/boy scout fundraising eventsm. I always bought an equal amount from people for whatever event (just to be fair - plus, it's for kids and I'll support many school-related fundraising events). I like to do this. But I like to support schools and charities and always give at least something. Even when it's something I'm not gung-ho about. It's for the kids so I'll support it.

However, your co-worker there, is a top-notch jerk. Keep this email and throw it back at him when he tries to fundraise for his kids school.

:yes: He's got 1 left in school and 1 in college.... not much time to stick it to him :LOL:

What pisses me off more is when other people ask you, "Are you going to contribute to John's fundraiser?" I've been asked this in front of other co-workers. How rude can one get?! The fundraisers to which I donate are MY business and no one elses.

When, oh WHEN will all employers require employees to partake in traiing courses in PROFESSIONALISM, MANNERS AND ETIQUETTE??!!

• Like 1

I know the Coca-Cola Company does not allow it at all; I guess things got way out of hand at one point.

I know the Coca-Cola Company does not allow it at all; I guess things got way out of hand at one point.

I know of a lot of places don't. I don't know if it's actually outlawed, but they recommend not doing it here. People still do, to people they know well. I just sent it to friends and people who I have contributed to in the past.