PTSD experiences?

Mr. Not

Alright, I'll go into a bit more detail about mine...

Said 12 year old (12) is a student at this school I work at... The program typically helps autistic children / teens / adults with social, living, and academic skills. The approach is to ignore bad behavior almost completely while rewarding and encouraging good behavior... 12 year old gets away with abusing any and everyone because of this during his "meltdowns" which occur at least once a day.

To give you an idea of what he does, basically:

-Threaten violence. "Stop doing that or I'll hit you." "Don't mess with me I know karate." "I will be your death." over something as simple as not being able to

-Acts of violence. He'll do follow through, but nothing to serious... Yesterday he hit another student (and this is the first time I've heard him do this) twice, the stomach and the head. I didn't get the full story. I've witnessed him poke an aide with a plastic fork repeatedly while the aide was driving (I was about to restrain him if he were to stab), etc...

-Names, degradtion. "Hi 12." "Shut up, bitch!"

Yeah, he makes an otherwise great experience hell for everyone.

This is about as much as I'll say, but I have a few feelings that this program isn't right for him and we are indirectly rewarding him for bad behavior. I may talk to the director about this... But it's a question or weak theory, not a conviction by any means.

However, I am completely new to PTSD... From what I've heard so far, most with PTSD don't go into a crazy rage but "shut down."

I'm a bit too lazy to study it at the moment with all the other reading I do on the daily...

Edited by Mr. IsNot

He was diagnosed with PTSD at your school or somewhere else?

Not sure, relatively new and I don't have access to this information / his IEP etc. unless I request it. I do know that for the first two years of his life, he was neglected, and he is now in a foster family.

PTSD is post traumatic stress disorder, bathory. I guess the typical PTSD subject would be an adult and have it due to war experiences, kind of like those paranoid veterans you see in comedies sometimes.