NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

Nothing from 73 today? He must be at the game.

Just got home, I had to work. I DVR'd the game, but I just saw the highlights. I don't know if I like that penalty call in OT, simply because it seemed too light an infraction to call in OT in the playoffs. But Sid will always get those calls. The Isles PK has been terrible this series, so ultimately it's on them.

It was a terrible call. They let so much worse go all game to make that call at that time.

It was, technically, a holding penalty. Strait had his arms around Sid while Sid was going for the net. But we all know Sid is strong on his skates -- you would think it would take more than that to knock him on his ass. So while it was technically a hold, it was a weak call for OT in the playoffs. Other worse infractions happened earlier in the game that weren't called -- and that's fine because because it's the playoffs and the refs let the guys play. So why call a borderline hold in OT?

Hey I agree with you.

You're right...I must've misinterpreted that you were referring to the "tough game". To be honest, I'd prefer they stay away from it. That is NOT the Habs' game (which everyone seems to know based on the common criticisms of them being "too small"). They need to stick to what works for them. The same thing happened in the two games where they were dominated by the Leafs. They tried to play the others' game, and got caught. Today's game was eerily similar to those.

I agree that those guys may talk a big game...but they more than back it up where it counts, which is in big plays and the back of the net. That works for me. I'll tell you, remember Max Lapierre? Plays on the Nucks now, but the kid drove me crazy when he was a Hab. HE was a guy that simply talked tough, but not just talk, he truly tried to instigate fights and penalties, but was a coward at every turn. I couldn't stand it...was embarrassing. Worst of all, did next to nothing in the scoresheet either. These two guys at least do what they need to do to help the team.

I am glad they all stepped up to the plate to fight tonight, even if they got beat up. I hope they take something from this game, and that they can bounce back in Game 4. I'd like for the stupid stuff to subside now, and that we can get back to two skilled teams play some damn good hockey that they are capable of. Honestly, a game like tonight is something I pictured in the Leafs-Bruins series, not Habs-Sens!

Fair point. I can agree with you for sure about that, and about Lapierre. Honestly, if he was still with the Canadiens, I would have no right to whine and complain about any of those other guys. :LOL:

Can't believe how bad the Canucks are.

It's hard to say they won't be swept. :wacko: I was predicting Sharks in 6, but looks like this round could be wrapped up a lot sooner.

Edited by Show Don't Tell

Lots of controversy over the Calder nominees. Saad, Gallagher, and Huberdeau. Somehow, the rookie scoring leader (Yakupov) and the rookie playing top pairing minutes on a playoff team (Brodin) got left out. Weird. Not going to help the accusations of East Coast Bias towards the PHWA. Edited by invisibleairwaves

Lots of controversy over the Calder nominees. Saad, Gallagher, and Huberdeau. Somehow, the rookie scoring leader (Yakupov) and the rookie playing top pairing minutes on a playoff team (Brodin) got left out. Weird. Not going to help the accusations of East Coast Bias towards the PHWA.

I didn't think Saad was going to be picked, especially after these three games against the Wild. He has problems holding on to the puck, which kills shifts for the two superstars he's on the ice with, making them irrelevant in the series. He needs to be demoted to the fourth line if not replaced.

Nothing from 73 today? He must be at the game.

Just got home, I had to work. I DVR'd the game, but I just saw the highlights. I don't know if I like that penalty call in OT, simply because it seemed too light an infraction to call in OT in the playoffs. But Sid will always get those calls. The Isles PK has been terrible this series, so ultimately it's on them.

It was a terrible call. They let so much worse go all game to make that call at that time.

It was, technically, a holding penalty. Strait had his arms around Sid while Sid was going for the net. But we all know Sid is strong on his skates -- you would think it would take more than that to knock him on his ass. So while it was technically a hold, it was a weak call for OT in the playoffs. Other worse infractions happened earlier in the game that weren't called -- and that's fine because because it's the playoffs and the refs let the guys play. So why call a borderline hold in OT?

Hey I agree with you.

I read your post, hit the Quote button, then stepped away for a bit before typing. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized I repeated half the things you said... :doh:

Lots of controversy over the Calder nominees. Saad, Gallagher, and Huberdeau. Somehow, the rookie scoring leader (Yakupov) and the rookie playing top pairing minutes on a playoff team (Brodin) got left out. Weird. Not going to help the accusations of East Coast Bias towards the PHWA.

Meh, there's only one trophy that matters in hockey. AMIRITE :D

Meh, there's only one trophy that matters in hockey. AMIRITE :D

The Lady Byng? :o

In all seriousness, there's potentially millions of dollars in contract bonuses riding on the individual awards, so it's kind of weird that the voting process is so opaque.

The NHL loves creating powerplays for all kinds of dumb stuff...why is there no penalty for sending the wrong players out on an icing?

And of course Julien still gets his way with that time wasted. Ugh, hot happy with the officiating. And I'm not one to complain about the refs. But seriously. Bozak got thrown out of almost every face-off he took in the first two periods. Ridiculous.

We stink man..

It's frustrating not knowing which team is gonna show up for us. At least we finished strong-ish. Carry that into game 4.

http://i.minus.com/iAkSydqABfUlc.gif

Edited by Show Don't Tell