Johnny Football—The Real Deal

He led a Texas A & M team in their first year in the SEC. He beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa. His name is straight out of the archaic past...it's has an old school, mythical feel like "Whizzer White", and the "Kansas Comet". I watched almost all of his games this year, and every week he kept proving that he's not just a talented college player, but a transcendent one. It's hard to fathom a freshman so poised and in control of a game. Last night he dismantled Oklahoma, set a new rushing record for QB's in a bowl game, and once again shown why he got the Heisman. If he has another year like this past year, he would have to get the Heisman again...

Question: Will he repeat as a Heisman winner in his college career?

So it looks like it'll be a choice between Clowney and Johnny Football for the Jaguars when they make the first pick in the draft in 2014...

sadly no...my instincts tell me he'll be looked upon like Doug Flutie....a winner but not for the NFL.

Too many unpredictable factors to say.

After watching Marcus Lattimore sustain not just one, but two, season ending injuries in back to back years, it is fresh in my mind how uncertain the future is for ANY player.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

After watching Marcus Lattimore sustain not just one, but two, season ending injuries in back to back years, it is fresh in my mind how uncertain the future is for ANY player.

I agree...very tough to stay healthy when you're running for your life all the time. I'm excited by the idea that this kid is just a freshman and should only improve if he works on his craft.

I agree...very tough to stay healthy when you're running for your life all the time. I'm excited by the idea that this kid is just a freshman and should only improve if he works on his craft.

Yeah, I know.

IF he can stay healthy, he has a real chance of winning the Heisman more than once.

Trouble is, he plays in what is probably the toughest defensive conference in the country.

It will be a miracle if he can make it through his college career without getting seriously banged up and missing games because of it, the way he plays.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

The thing about Manziel is that he is so freaking quick. He can avoid hard contact, and he's smart enough to make it happen. I have no doubt that he'll have a stellar college career. My only question is on the NFL level. Will his quickness translate, and can he change his game accordingly? I would draft him if he slides with the idea of making him a slot reciever if nothing else.

I'm seeing at least one more Heisman and a championship game withing two years IF some O linesmen stay. It's A&M, of course they'll stay.

• Like 1

The thing about Manziel is that he is so freaking quick. He can avoid hard contact, and he's smart enough to make it happen. I have no doubt that he'll have a stellar college career. My only question is on the NFL level. Will his quickness translate, and can he change his game accordingly? I would draft him if he slides with the idea of making him a slot reciever if nothing else.

I'm seeing at least one more Heisman and a championship game withing two years IF some O linesmen stay. It's A&M, of course they'll stay.

Aggies are loyal like that

That's a nice way to say brainwashed

He's not a member of the corp jackass.

• Like 1

No need to get all pissy, just poking fun at my old school.

• Like 1

Then say whatever you want then. every Aggie alum I've ever hung out with has been cool as all get out.

Then say whatever you want then. every Aggie alum I've ever hung out with has been cool as all get out.

All the money and time I spent there... somewhere in that bundle must have been a "5 free cheapshots" clause

• Like 2

All the money and time I spent there... somewhere in that bundle must have been a "5 free cheapshots" clause

My favorite Aggie all timer---Lyle Lovett...Robert Earl Keen...Ya'll hip?
  • Like 1

Well then, speak as you please! Never even been there myself. LOL! The loyalty was passed down, you know how it is. :)

Well then, speak as you please! Never even been there myself. LOL! The loyalty was passed down, you know how it is. :)

Sure do. My parents were both Aggies, and their saying was "you can go to any college you want, but we won't help if you go to Texas." I think they were only half-kidding. But the Wildlife & Fisheries program at A&M was too good to pass up!

JFF seems, at least from our seats, to have kept his head a lot more in check the past 2 games. Sumlin must have really torn him up after the Rice game. Also, even during an early afternoon game, when Kyle Field is usually much quieter because of the heat, I've never heard Kyle Field as loud as it was during the opening minutes of that game yesterday. Absolutely electric. Not to mention when 87,000 lost their collective shits after the 95-yard TD. Hell of an experience, miss sitting in the student section!

Also, here was the view from our seats about 45 minutes before kickoff (9th row, the Zone):

http://i.imgur.com/BtuHmdNl.jpg?1

And the scene from Rudder Tower well before the game:

http://i.imgur.com/3sRlAnYl.jpg?1

Will Johnny Football get hit so hard his head pops off during the Alabama game? Kinda hopin' so. On the other hand, it's always good to watch 'Bama lose.

Hey watch it! : ) JF played a spectacular game as usual, and took minimal punishment. Given A&M's D liabilities this year, I was happy with the result. A well played loss to Bama does not count them out!

At best whenever he gets drafted he will a fist round pick.drafted #1 overall not in this lifetime. Around the very same selection where Tebow was drafted.

At best whenever he gets drafted he will a fist round pick.drafted #1 overall not in this lifetime. Around the very same selection where Tebow was drafted.

Well I certainly wouldn't wish a fist round pick on the kid. Ouch! He'll go early though, too much upside particularly the way the NFL is trending. He's the same size as Breeze, but with wheels. He'll just have to learn to take less risks.

Edited by Weakly Criminal