The Shield

Snowdog

I had heard several people talk about what a great show this was and so last weekend, I rented the first volume of season 1 and popped it in the dvd player. I was riveted from the first episode and immediately watched the other 3 episodes on this disc. When I got done with that, I went back and rented the other 3 discs from Season 1. What a great show! Detective Mackie is such an interesting character and the dynamics of the precinct are really compelling. I rented season 2 last night and watched 2 episodes. I can't wait to watch the rest.

Any other fans of "The Shield" out there? What are your favorite characters and what do you like about this show?

This thread got no love last time, but with Season 5 premiering tonight, I'm bumping it.

Folks, if you're not watching this show, you are missing one of the best shows on television, if not the best. The show is a serial, so episodes are not independent of one another, story lines run throughout the season and knowing the past story lines makes it more enjoyable, but jump in and give it a shot. It's on FX, Tuesday at 10 p.m.

I'm telling you, this show is intense, entertaining and always leaves you wanting more.

I'm especially looking forward to the addition of Forrest Whitaker as an internal investigator looking into possible corruption of Detective Mackie and his crew. Could this be the end for Vic? Since this will be the last season, anything is possible.

It looks pretty good. If I could see it. tongue.gif Kind of mature for me. unsure.gif When I'm in my room and your watching that I hear stuff along the lines of "HE'S CHINESE CMON! HE WOULDN'T (eff) AROUND A LITTLE GIRL!" wacko.gif I think it can be fing.gif sometimes but it does look interesting. The Sheild and a couple of other shows is what ties your computer up. laugh.gif tongue.gif

I've been a Shield fan since season 1. Mackie is one of the most interesting characters ever created in my opinion. The paradox of how such a decent human being can do such horrible things is what makes him so interesting.

I was a little disappointed by the season premiere. The show seems to be less intense than it used to be. I'll keep watching though.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 15 2006, 02:29 PM)
I've been a Shield fan since season 1. Mackie is one of the most interesting characters ever created in my opinion. The paradox of how such a decent human being can do such horrible things is what makes him so interesting.

I was a little disappointed by the season premiere. The show seems to be less intense than it used to be. I'll keep watching though.

trink39.gif

Give it time. If I remember right, last season started a touch slow and by episode 4 it was going full throttle. And if you've seen the previews, I think this season will be even better.

Don't know if you've heard, but this season will be split into two portions. The first portion will be 11 episodes airing now, and the second portion will be 10 episodes to be aired NEXT YEAR!!! Yup, they're going to make us wait until next year to see the conclusion. So, if 12-13 episodes is a full season for them, we essentially have two abbreviated seasons. That kinda stinks.

i hate it when they break up the season like that...

i have become a new fan of this show!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 18 2006, 08:02 PM)

Ladi, pick up Season 1 on DVD. I guarantee you'll be hooked after one episode. I was. But please do start with season 1, as story lines continue from one season to the next. It's worth it, and you'll have a blast!

I decided to pick up Season 1 off Snowdog's recommendation (having exhausted the 24 series).

My hat's off to you Snowdog. I'm not normally into cop shows, but I'm enjoying this immensely. Just completed disc 3, and looking forward to the conclusion.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 5 2006, 06:53 PM)
I decided to pick up Season 1 off Snowdog's recommendation (having exhausted the 24 series).

My hat's off to you Snowdog. I'm not normally into cop shows, but I'm enjoying this immensely. Just completed disc 3, and looking forward to the conclusion.

cool.gif

Schro

Very Cool Schro! This season is going to conclude next week and what a season it has been!

As big a fan as I am of 24, it can't hold a candle to The Shield. This is, far and away the best show on television. Each episode leaves you screaming, 'NOOOOOO! You can't end it here! You have to tell me what happens next!" And that's what great TV does!

I keep telling you guys, if you're not watching this show, you're missing out. But don't just jump in. Start with Season 1 on DVD. It is well worth it.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 18 2006, 08:11 PM)

Ladi, pick up Season 1 on DVD. I guarantee you'll be hooked after one episode. I was. But please do start with season 1, as story lines continue from one season to the next. It's worth it, and you'll have a blast!

i am soooo hooked on this now that i rented season 1

thanks!!!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Mar 15 2006, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 18 2006, 08:11 PM)

i am soooo hooked on this now that i rented season 1

thanks!!!!

trink39.gif glad I could provide you with some good entertainment choices! Season 5 is just blowing me away right now!

Time for my annual bump to the Shield thread that gets no love sad.gif

The new season has just started, and the storylines that have been set up from last season promise a huge explosion (figuratively, and possibly literally).

Guys, I know I sound like a broken record, but this is the best show on television. New episodes are airing Tuesday at 10 on FX.

But if you have not watched the show before, I highly recommend starting with Season 1 on dvd. Knowing the characters involved makes the story lines even more compelling than they already are.

Vic Mackey (the star, Michael Chiklis, plays The Thing in the Fantastic 4 movie) is the best antihero I've ever seen on television. He is a complex and conflicted character that you love and hate at the same time. The supporting cast is superb, particularly the other members of Mackey's "Strike Team."

Give this show a try, and you'll be hooked like I was. But like I said, please start with the Season 1 DVD's.

i happen to watch an episode of this...

i think it was this season's premiere...

not bad!

shit... i've totally forgot forest whitackers characters' name...

but he is turning out to be a bad seed....

should be interesting to see how this season pans out!

Yeah I've watched The Shield it's good, seems like an old show now though...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1116/victl7.jpg

"Hello Rush fans, I'm gonna be checking in here from time to time. I better like what I see..."

The Shield is pretty much my favourite show. It's been amazing from the start. I watched episode 6x01 a few days ago. Wow, is all I can say. The end of the previous season was so heartbreaking, they've really picked up where they left off new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Shane (aka Cletus Van Damme laugh.gif ) has always been my favourite character. Bless him. His heart's in the right place but he never, ever gets it right, does he? sad.gif

I used to like Dutch until the scene with the cat angry.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Apr 10 2007, 09:10 AM)
The Shield is pretty much my favourite show. It's been amazing from the start. I watched episode 6x01 a few days ago. Wow, is all I can say. The end of the previous season was so heartbreaking, they've really picked up where they left off  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Shane (aka Cletus Van Damme  laugh.gif ) has always been my favourite character. Bless him. His heart's in the right place but he never, ever gets it right, does he?  sad.gif

I used to like Dutch until the scene with the cat  angry.gif

The end of last season was unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I was so mad angry.gif I have never had that type of reaction to a TV show before. I was mad for days! laugh.gif Heck, I'm still mad.

And this season started with a bang. Kavanaugh is showing what a desperate man he is and it will wind up and bite him.

Best line in the show: Vic to Kavanaugh:"You say I'm a cop killer? You're a cop right?" new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Runner up, another line from Vic to Kavanaugh:"You've just stepped on to an entirely new playing field and I hope you know the rules." 1287.gif

Episode 2 coming up tonight trink39.gif

edit: Cletus Van Damme? rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif That is genius Willowroolz! applaudit.gif

Edited by Snowdog

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 10 2007, 11:27 PM)
Best line in the show: Vic to Kavanaugh:"You say I'm a cop killer? You're a cop right?"  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Runner up, another line from Vic to Kavanaugh:"You've just stepped on to an entirely new playing field and I hope you know the rules."  1287.gif

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Billings was making me laugh when he got hit on the head, when he went to Claudette:

Billings: "I think I'm going to go home now."

Claudette: "How will we fill the void?"

laugh.gif

Kavanaugh's totally lost the plot now.

One thing that's bothered me, going back a bit, is how they never went back to the Tavon storyline, just leaving him in hospital and never mentioning him again unsure.gif

Will hopefully get to see 6x02 at the weekend new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cletus Van Damme?  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  That is genius Willowroolz!  applaudit.gif

Don't you remember that? It was when Shane and Lem were tailing one of their suspects and the guy had an accident. He got out of the car and came back to ask Shane to be a witness, so he had to give a name, and that was what he came up with laugh.gif laugh.gif

Edited by willowroolz

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Apr 11 2007, 07:07 AM)
Don't you remember that? It was when Shane and Lem were tailing one of their suspects and the guy had an accident. He got out of the car and came back to ask Shane to be a witness, so he had to give a name, and that was what he came up with laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ah yes, now that you've jogged my memory trink39.gif

Just watched episode 2. Another great episode! Never thought I'd see Claudette pull Vic's butt out of the fire. WTG, Claudette.

Vic is seriously torn up emotionally and has Guardo clouding his judgement. That could prove to be a potential problem. I love how Shane is trying to be the voice of reason now, telling Vic to chill out.

The previews of next weeks show tease us with a possible confession by Shane, but that ain't gonna happen no.gif

I'm still in shock from last tuesday's episode. Never thought Kavanaugh would freely admit to doing what he did, at least not this early in the season. Vic's starting to get scary, even for him. If Shane didn't blow up his friend, you'd almost feel a little pity for him when Vic does find out he did it. That should be interesting, how Vic handles it when and if he does find out.

Another great ep! Vic finally got his hands on Guardo and it wasn't pretty no.gif

Shane's guilt is killing him. Will he finally break???

Ronnie showed Dutch and Billings what being a real cop is all about.

But no mention of Kavanaugh at all? C'mon we've been waiting for two seasons for this guy to get his. He finally gets the cuffs slapped on him and then he's forgotten about? Hopefully, they will revisit this in future episodes.

Still, the best show on television. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 18 2007, 11:47 PM)
Another great ep! Vic finally got his hands on Guardo and it wasn't pretty  no.gif

That was one of the most brutal scenes I've seen on tv, with the chain ohmy.gif

Vic is starting to notice that Shane is acting out of character. It can only be a matter of time before the truth comes out (although my guess is that it will be towards the end of the season).

LMAO at Dutch getting psycho-analysed by Billings and then going to Claudette for affirmation laugh.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Apr 19 2007, 04:40 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 18 2007, 11:47 PM)
Another great ep! Vic finally got his hands on Guardo and it wasn't pretty  no.gif

That was one of the most brutal scenes I've seen on tv, with the chain ohmy.gif

Vic is starting to notice that Shane is acting out of character. It can only be a matter of time before the truth comes out (although my guess is that it will be towards the end of the season).

LMAO at Dutch getting psycho-analysed by Billings and then going to Claudette for affirmation laugh.gif

Billings is such a putz. Why would Dutch let anything that idiot says bother him? laugh.gif

My guess is the last minute of the season finale will involve Shane copping to Lem's murder and Vic staring at him in disbelief. The end. And we'll have to wait month's to know the outcome fists crying.gif