"Time Out!" One Of The Greatest Jazz Albums Of All Time! "Blue Rondo A La Turk" YYZ?

RUSHHEAD666

I see the Dave Brubeck RIP Thread but I think it's only proper to write a thread based on his platinum selling masterpiece "Time Out."

I am playing the album at the moment to pay tribute to a Legend. What a great life he had! 91 ain't bad!

I just got off the phone with my mother who loved Dave. My mom is 71. She told me that her favorite song is "Take Five."

As a drummer I must say that the tune is absolutely incredible. However my favorite Brubeck tune is "Blue Rondo A La Turk."

I love the time changes in this song. Very progressive.

I think of YYZ when I play this song.

Dave was way ahead of his time.

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE

The intro of this song also reminds me of the part in "Natural Science." Right before Neil's killer fill.

For sure!

I grew up loving Time Out, and it was a big inspiration in terms of my taking up drums. It's the perfect album for learning to count, as well.

The intro of this song also reminds me of the part in "Natural Science." Right before Neil's killer fill.

For sure!

I grew up loving Time Out, and it was a big inspiration in terms of my taking up drums. It's the perfect album for learning to count, as well.

Hey Goose! Glad I am not alone on this! That pattern has been in my head all day and all I think about is that about is that "Natural Science" bit.

It's a 9/8 Turkish rhythm. Goes something like a 2+2+2+3 followed by a 3+3+3.

"Blue Rondo A La Turkish Science"

LOL!

The whole Time Out album is awesome. The whole point was odd time signatures. I used Blue Rhondo as the main example of my time signature podcast in the MMM section.

Also Brubeck was born in the city where I live: Concord, Ca. There is a Park on Concord Blvd. named for Mr. Brubeck. He also started Concord Jazz Records which is now known as the Concord Music Group which is now owned by Saul Zaentz I believe who owns Fantasy Studios where CCR recorded.

The whole Time Out album is awesome. The whole point was odd time signatures. I used Blue Rhondo as the main example of my time signature podcast in the MMM section.

Also Brubeck was born in the city where I live: Concord, Ca. There is a Park on Concord Blvd. named for Mr. Brubeck. He also started Concord Jazz Records which is now known as the Concord Music Group which is now owned by Saul Zaentz I believe who owns Fantasy Studios where CCR recorded.

You and I surely have a lot in common! I too live in Concord as you know. Did you read that great article in the paper the other day about Dave? They had the picture of the park with some flowers by the Dave Brebeck sign.

I have a ton of Concord Jazz cds but I never knew Dave started the company. Lots of Tito Puente on that label I believe.

Fantasy Studios is awesome. CCR was great!