Geddy is sounding just GREAT on this tour.

eshine

After seeing the TMT DVD and various YouTube clips from the last tour, I admit I was a bit worried about his vocals on this tour.

I know it's early, but man - he is kicking major ass so far. His voice is powerful, the inflection is there, he's ENUNCIATING (lol) and he's nailing some impressive high notes (Headlong Flight anyone?)

In fact, I think he sounds better on the new stuff live then he does on the recorded versions. The Garden is spectacular, as is Carnies. And he's nailing the 80's stuff - particularly Grand Designs.

With this smarter choice of songs that are in his range, his voice should hold up much better on this tour.

Either way - he is sounding so good right now - they should seriously consider recording earlier this time.

Check out The Anarchist from Chicago (all this guys videos are excellent, btw)

Rock on, Geddy

1022.gif

Yeah I know people are complaining about the lack of old stuff on this tour, but what would they rather have, him tear his voice apart trying to hit stuff way outside of his comfortable range then his voice be completely shot on songs that are in his range?

Some of these recent DVDs are so painful to watch because his voice is so tired that even singing the low stuff he sounded so bad on. Eliminating anything difficult to sing will make him sound better for longer. It was a smart move.

There's still some highs in the 80s stuff that he is bailing on and singing lower but Id rather him do that then end up sounding like crap once they get here in NJ. No shame in that at all for the sake of a long tour at their age.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 06:56 PM)
Yeah I know people are complaining about the lack of old stuff on this tour, but what would they rather have, him tear his voice apart trying to hit stuff way outside of his comfortable range then his voice be completely shot on songs that are in his range?

Some of these recent DVDs are so painful to watch because his voice is so tired that even singing the low stuff he sounded so bad on. Eliminating anything difficult to sing will make him sound better for longer. It was a smart move.

There's still some highs in the 80s stuff that he is bailing on and singing lower but Id rather him do that then end up sounding like crap once they get here in NJ. No shame in that at all for the sake of a long tour at their age.

Uhm.... I completely...agree???

LOL - seriously - sure there are things from the eighties he's isn't "going for, but I too am totally fine with that. Whats the point?

And I imagine he watched the DVD and a few youtube clips himself and was like "f*ck this" lol

He really taxed his voice on the last tour. Devising this setlist was probably the smartest move he's made in a long time.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 06:56 PM)

He is killing it, and can still blow smoke rings around you.

goodpost.gif

My 12 year old dd and I saw the show in Chicago. I told her that Rush tries to reproduce the studio sound in concert, but warned her that the guys are getting older and it might sound a little different. I was completely blown away. Geddy sounded GREAT in my opinion and we were both exhausted by the end of the evening. It was a true highlight for us both!

I totally agree. I thought the entire Indy show was the best I've heard him sound in years. Of course, it was only a week into the tour, but I thought he killed it all. The line from Carnies "A wheel of fate a game of chance" was where I thought he would fall apart, but he nailed it every time.

I only caught two instances where his voice faltered at all, and one of those was him shooting for a real high note in Working Man, something be originally did when he was what, 20!?!

Not too shabby for a guy pushing 60

I also took note of how good Geddy sounded.

I think it was a mistake to record so late in the TMT. I know what Cleveland means for them, but by then Geddy's voice was nearly shot.

I was happy the stop in Pittsburgh was early in this tour.

QUOTE (BriGuy @ Sep 20 2012, 09:21 PM)
I also took note of how good Geddy sounded.

I think it was a mistake to record so late in the TMT. I know what Cleveland means for them, but by then Geddy's voice was nearly shot.

I was happy the stop in Pittsburgh was early in this tour.

Geddy sounded great in Indy and Chicago. Early shows, but wow..can he still crank it out!!!!! I was blown away!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Having learned that he wasn't feeling well during the Cleveland Time Machine DVD show, I give him tons of credit for going on in that condition. I have no idea how refunding or rebooking works, but he had the B*lls and determination to go on anyway!!!

yes.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Bumped because it deserves to be noted

Geddy is sounding great on this tour.

Naysayers are simply wrong.

Not a great quality video, but who can rightfully tell me that this man cannot bring it vocally anymore - live or otherwise.