The kind of person who hates the CA setlist

zappafrank

My reaction to people complaining about the set list: banghead.gif

It might be opening up a can of worms here, but do you think it's possible to find a common link running through the people who are vehemently criticizing the current set list?

I want to say that they're either people who really really like some Rush (but aren't die-hards) or die-hards who haven't had a chance to see Rush very often. Personally speaking, this was my 7th time seeing them since T4E, and all of the '80's stuff was a refreshing change of pace (and of course it helps that I love ALL eras of Rush).

To me, any person who claims to be a die-hard fan but completely disregards almost a decade's worth of material really doesn't like the band as much as he/she claims to. It reminds me of Beyond the Lighted Stage when that one guy (forget who... RAtM bass player?) talks about how he *was* a huge Rush fan till they started the synth era. IIRC, his contributions to the doc pretty much ended at that point. And fittingly so, since he had nothing to add to the discussion at that point.

That's what I think of when I see all these people bashing the set list. Clearly you're not a fan of that era, so quit acting like you're speaking for everybody, and know your role and shut your mouth! smile.gif This is the place for the TRUE fans - those are appreciate RUSH and not just "cool 70's prog rock" - to revel in the set list.

As for die-hards who haven't had a chance to see the band much, I'm much more forgiving and understanding of your reaction. The boys are getting up there in years, and who knows how much they have left. I saw Dream Theater on the Progressive Nation '08 tour, and they played mostly stuff I'd heard before, and it was extremely frustrating. But I didn't boo or b*tch about it b/c there were people around me who had never seen them before and were excited to see that stuff. Same with Symphony X the night after Rush: they played The Odyssey, a 25 min song I've already seen them do. I was like "aw man, not again," since I wanted lesser played stuff. But the guy next to me had never seen them and they are his favorite band, and he really wanted to see that. So again, I got into the groove of the song as to not take away *his* experience.

This tour is the reverse of that in a way. I think the die-hards are happy for a change of pace, but only if they have a bunch of the "left out" stuff stored up from shows past. Those who never have had a chance to take in the more accessible/prominent stuff that are more likely going to feel let down, and like I said, I'm much more sympathetic to their reaction than some old blow hard crying that "This is the 2112th time I've seen them and I want the same set list every time, dammit!!!"

You want the same set list, paint your face and go see Kiss.

(and for what it's worth, a couple in front of me *was* making everyone else share in their disdain, shouting "play 70's Rush!!!" over and over during Alex's intro the Halo Effect... not cool. Go stew in silent agony. smile.gif )

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it.... along with all the setlist haters, I'm sure that is the common link.

This is the place for the TRUE fans

You sir, can stick that statement where the sun doesn't shine. This place is for ALL Rush fans. Of course I may have missed the sign on the door that said "Only TRUE RUSH fans admitted." If I did, please forgive my post. If no sign exists, the sun comment still remains.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

Know what's ten times worse than somebody who doesn't like the setlist on this particular tour? Somebody who says you're not a "true fan" unless you like every little thing Rush does.

More lectures from the high and mighty. Great. This is so much worse than the handful of tour complaints.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Sep 17 2012, 12:18 PM)
This is the place for the TRUE fans

You sir, can stick that statement where the sun doesn't shine. This place is for ALL Rush fans big, small, and anything between.

2.gif

cheer.gif

Hallelujah!

And how dare the OP say I'm not a "true fan" or diehard fan!

Call me high and mighty if you want, but if other people can complain about not liking the set list, why can't I complain about them complaining about it?

Pretentiousness aside, the intent of my post was to try and see if we could see why some people aren't digging the set list. I really think it goes beyond "they didn't play TSoR or Limelight." I think there's something about the kind of Rush music that these detractors like that contributes to their anger.

It's like, why go see them if you only like a portion of their music? B/c chances are you're not gonna get just that portion, more so on this tour than on others. People are acting like it's some big surprise that Rush has decided to dig deep. To me, it's their MO.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2012, 01:18 PM)
Know what's ten times worse than somebody who doesn't like the setlist on this particular tour? Somebody who says you're not a "true fan" unless you like every little thing Rush does.

More lectures from the high and mighty. Great. This is so much worse than the handful of tour complaints.

yes.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 17 2012, 12:22 PM)
Pretentiousness aside, the intent of my post was to try and see if we could see why some people aren't digging the set list.

No, the intent was to bludgeon anyone who doesn't think that everything Rush has done is Equally Perfect.

And it was pretty transparent, if I might add.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:22 PM)
I think we might need a few more threads complaining about people complaining about the setlist.

Maybe two dozen more, and those with complaints will be shouted down by the "true" fans.

Too rich.

What really ticks me off are the people complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the setlist

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:24 PM)
Pretentiousness aside, the intent of my post was to try and see if we could see why some people aren't digging the set list.

No, the intent was to bludgeon anyone who doesn't think that everything Rush has done is Equally Perfect.

Thank you for speaking for me, when clearly you were in my head.

I honestly am curious as to why people don't like this set list, if you claim to love Rush. You don't have to think everything they do is perfect, but c'mon, people are discounting ALBUMS of material here.

I take responsibility for going overboard with the "True fans" bit, OK? Now thank you all for backing off of that and returning to my original question: are there some common traits among the people who don't liek the set list? B/c this set list has divided people like no other.

Edited by zappafrank

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 17 2012, 12:25 PM)
I think we might need a few more threads complaining about people complaining about the setlist.

Maybe two dozen more, and those with complaints will be shouted down by the "true" fans.

Too rich.

What really ticks me off are the people complaining about the people complaining about the people complaining about the setlist

Or people who complain about people who complain about people who complain about people who complain about the setlist.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 17 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:24 PM)

Thank you for speaking for me, when clearly you were in my head.

I honestly am curious as to why people don't like this set list, if you claim to love Rush. You don't have to think everything they do is perfect, but c'mon, people are discounting ALBUMS of material here.

The why did you post "If you want the same setlist, paint your face and go see Kiss?"

You're not curious, you just want to let everyone know that you're a "true" fan.

We get it.

Well, if you're so curious, why start a new thread lambasting those who aren't "true" fans, rather than read any of the dozens of threads where people state the reasons they don't like the set?

Oh, that's not any fun. Better start telling people the rules of Rush fandom, which is to supplicate your self and believe that they reinvent music with each release.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 17 2012, 12:25 PM)

Too rich.

Or people who complain about people who complain about people who complain about people who complain about the setlist.

Nah - they are cool laugh.gif

I was tired hearing about the UC running out of pretzels on Sat. Jaba the Hut's sister wouldn't stop talking about it during the intermission

Call me high and mighty if you want, but if other people can complain about not liking the set list, why can't I complain about them complaining about it?

Pretentiousness aside, the intent of my post was to try and see if we could see why some people aren't digging the set list.  I really think it goes beyond "they didn't play TSoR or Limelight."  I think there's something about the kind of Rush music that these detractors like that contributes to their anger.

It's like, why go see them if you only like a portion of their music?  B/c chances are you're not gonna get just that portion, more so on this tour than on others.  People are acting like it's some big surprise that Rush has decided to dig deep.  To me, it's their MO.

Let me cut to the chase, then. I'll give you the facts about ME and why I was disappointed with the setlist, okay? Other "complainers" may have different reasons.

1. I love the new album. They played a lot of it, and because it's a concept album, they played the songs in order. No complaints! Great!

2. I'm not a fan of the band's Keyboard Era, but I don't normall dismiss the entire catalog from those years - I take those years on a song-by-song basis.

3. While I'm not a fan of the Keyboard Era, I recognize that SOME songs in their setlist will be from that period. I'm okay with this, because I'm willing to sit through the shit to get to the stuff I like/love.

4. Really look and #3, above, and then really look at the setlist from Manchester. I say again: 70% of the non-CA songs the band played were from the Keyboard Era!! The band's setlist on this tour doesn't give the audience a smattering of Keyboard Era songs, or just "some" Keyboard Era songs... it hits the audience over the head with that shit!

Bottom line, and I'm repeating myself: I'm normally okay with SOME Keyboard Era songs being played, because I know the Rush stuff I like will also be represented. On this tour, that's not the case; fans of the Keyboard Era have a feast and fans of the band's other periods (like me) have a famine. And that's why I don't like the setlist.

EDIT: And about that "Rush digging deep" line of yours. If that were the case, I'd be all for it. I'm a little tired of most the "hits" and I like hearing the "deep cuts." But that's not exactly what the setlist is comprised of, is it? "Deep cuts"? Sure, a couple songs make a surprise re-emergence into the set, but that's been the case on all of the past few tours. This setlist isn't "Rush digging deep" exactly. This is Rush "digging into their Keyboard Era, and playing little else." (Note that most of those Keyboard Era songs they're playing are NOT deep cuts; they're the "hits" from that era!)

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2012, 12:34 PM)

Pretentiousness aside, the intent of my post was to try and see if we could see why some people aren't digging the set list.  I really think it goes beyond "they didn't play TSoR or Limelight."  I think there's something about the kind of Rush music that these detractors like that contributes to their anger.

It's like, why go see them if you only like a portion of their music?  B/c chances are you're not gonna get just that portion, more so on this tour than on others.  People are acting like it's some big surprise that Rush has decided to dig deep.  To me, it's their MO.

Let me cut to the chase, then. I'll give you the facts about ME and why I was disappointed with the setlist, okay? Other "complainers" may have different reasons.

1. I love the new album. They played a lot of it, and because it's a concept album, they played the songs in order. No complaints! Great!

2. I'm not a fan of the band's Keyboard Era, but I don't normall dismiss the entire catalog from those years - I take those years on a song-by-song basis.

3. While I'm not a fan of the Keyboard Era, I recognize that SOME songs in their setlist will be from that period. I'm okay with this, because I'm willing to sit through the shit to get to the stuff I like/love.

4. Really look and #3, above, and then really look at the setlist from Manchester. I say again: 70% of the non-CA songs the band played were from the Keyboard Era!! The band's setlist on this tour doesn't give the audience a smattering of Keyboard Era songs, or just "some" Keyboard Era songs... it hits the audience over the head with that shit!

Bottom line, and I'm repeating myself: I'm normally okay with SOME Keyboard Era songs being played, because I know the Rush stuff I like will also be represented. On this tour, that's not the case; fans of the Keyboard Era have a feast and fans of the band's other periods (like me) have a famine. And that's why I don't like the setlist.

Well, thank for for coming out and simply saying "I am not a true fan" - I bet you feel better now, right?

THANK YOU.

I get so perplexed by people's reactions b/c you've got people saying, "I've listened to them for 30 years and never once have I been so disappointed!"

And I'm thinking, "Wait, for a good 7 to 10 of those years they played stuff like the majority if the 1st set. What in the world did you do for those years? Were you miserable that entire time? Did you refuse to go see them?"

EDIT:  And about that "Rush digging deep" line of yours.  If that were the case, I'd be all for it.  I'm a little tired of most the "hits" and I like hearing the "deep cuts."  But that's not exactly what the setlist is comprised of, is it?  "Deep cuts"?  Sure, a couple songs make a surprise re-emergence into the set, but that's been the case on all of the past few tours.  This setlist isn't "Rush digging deep" exactly.  This is Rush "digging into their Keyboard Era, and playing little else."  (Note that most of those Keyboard Era songs they're playing are NOT deep cuts; they're the "hits" from that era!)

See, I disagree on that part, b/c I was honest to God blown away they'd even consider playing Grand Designs or Middletown Dreams. To me, those seem like songs that were written for the time, the era, the tour, never to be touched again.

I think it's similar for the last few albums: some of that stuff will never get played again b/c it was a snapshot of a time.

Edited by zappafrank

To anyone who took issue with my "true fans" comment(s), I apologize. I just *really* like the current set list, and am still reveling in the fact that so much of the stuff I never thought I'd get a chance to see was represented. Passion, etc.

Again, I apologize.

Edited by zappafrank

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 17 2012, 12:55 PM)
To anyone who took issue with my "true fans" comment(s), I apologize. I just *really* like the current set list, and am still reveling in the fact that so much of the stuff I never thought I'd get a chance to see was represented. Passion, etc.

Again, I apologize.

Thank you.

Glad you liked it. Of the 14 shows I've seen, I think it was the worst setlist, but that's me.