What the heck, here is an original tune

Looks like there are a lot of people interested here in recording, mixing and writing. I recently got interested in taking some of the studio recordings I've done, making backing tracks and shoot video performing the main guitar part (for no reason in particular other than have a little fun). Here is the first original. Kind of slow and laid back, I have some more prog kind of stuff I'll do in the future.

(While I'm doing this, I'm also trying to get more competent in miking my guitar for recording .. I've been recording direct for so long. Now I sort of wish I had focused on miking all this time. Nothing against direct recording, it served me very well. But it is not the same as the sound I get from my live rig.)

Well, i'm no musician, but you seem to be "dry strumming" in the 1st 20 seconds - i.e. strumming when there is no music to be heard.

Don't detract from the actual music, but makes the start of the video look a bit silly.

Musically -i like it.

QUOTE (metallithrax @ Aug 29 2012, 04:30 PM)
Well, i'm no musician, but you seem to be "dry strumming" in the 1st 20 seconds - i.e. strumming when there is no music to be heard.

Don't detract from the actual music, but makes the start of the video look a bit silly.

Musically -i like it.

Thanks for the compliment and the critique. I do see what you mean. The predominant guitar that you hear is from the filmed performance, though there is a quieter acoustic guitar there as well from the prerecorded track. The extra "strum" that you see when you don't hear anything is actually my way of keeping time in that passage which I'm not even thinking about (obviously, I'm not touching any strings on that "strum"). Oh well, at 41, if I tried to change that habit now, it'd probably be like trying to change my natural golf swing and I'd get all f*cked up.

QUOTE (RockDebris @ Sep 15 2012, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (JARG @ Sep 10 2012, 02:52 PM)
I admire the maturity of your lead work. Very tastey.

Thanks man. I wanted the lead to by very vocal like in this one.

Cool. I posted a song of mine, just a few threads down...go give it a listen! smile.gif