Stuffed Cherry Peppers!

Tick

Just spent the morning stuffing fresh garden grown cherry peppers with high quality Prosciutto parma, and stinky sharp provolone! They will now cure for up to 2 weeks before consumption.

Recipe...

Core and seed cherry peppers. Be careful with the seeds on your skin. Don't touch your nose, eyes, private parts, etc.

Soak cherry peppers in a brine of 3/4 vinegar, one part water. Add garlic cloves, sugar, and pickling salt to brine and soak at least 3 days

Buy the best prosciutto and provolone you can buy. Good ingredients make good food. Its that simple.

Roll small chunks of provolone in prosciutto and stuff into peppers. Careful not to rip peppers.

Place peppers in mason jars. Fill jars with extra virgin olive oil and garlic cloves. Seal and let cure unrefrigerated about 2 weeks.

Enjoy! Best to refrigerate after opening. To consume, let stand a bit when taking out of fridge to let the oil un congeal.

I should also add you boil the brine solution with the ingredients and pour the hot liquid over the peppers to blanch them. Then when cool refrigerate about 3 days before stuffing.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 22 2012, 10:31 AM)
scared.gif I can only assume that the seeds burn like something chronic......... scared.gif

That's why they are eliminated completely. The peppers are actually not really hot at all when you eat them. My 12 year old daughter loves them. If they were spicy, she would not. After soaking in vinegar a few days and going into olive oil after that they become quite mild and quite delicious.

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 22 2012, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 22 2012, 10:31 AM)
scared.gif  I can only assume that the seeds burn like something chronic.........  scared.gif

That's why they are eliminated completely. The peppers are actually not really hot at all when you eat them. My 12 year old daughter loves them. If they were spicy, she would not. After soaking in vinegar a few days and going into olive oil after that they become quite mild and quite delicious.

These things are sooooo gooood! yes.gif

Best I ever had were from DiBruno Brothers in Phili.

From what I understand, they travel well when shipped to places like Texas. wink.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 22 2012, 03:32 PM)
They sound great. I would pay for it for days though.

They are really very mellow. Trust me. I have acid reflux and I can eat them.

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 22 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 22 2012, 03:32 PM)
They sound great.  I would pay for it for days though.

They are really very mellow. Trust me. I have acid reflux and I can eat them.

I get it terrible. Even some not so spicy stuff gives it to me. Pretty much any pepper or onion does.

I would eat the hell out of them and then feel like shit for 2 days.

I might have to make some anyway.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 22 2012, 04:53 PM)
I have made ice cream topping with pineapple and habaneros. It's very good. Once the pepper cooks (definitely take out the seeds and the white membrane) they are not terribly hot. They are spicy but have a nice sweetness at the same time.

Do share!!

Doh there I go again............

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 22 2012, 04:27 PM)
I have made ice cream topping with pineapple and habaneros. It's very good. Once the pepper cooks (definitely take out the seeds and the white membrane) they are not terribly hot. They are spicy but have a nice sweetness at the same time.

Do share!!

laugh.gif

There was really little to it. I used fresh pineapple and a little pineapple juice, but you can use canned... that already comes with the juice smile.gif

Just simmer on low with a little sugar and a finely diced up habanero. Let it cook like a half hour, until the pineapple looks like apple sauce and the habanero is very soft. Let ti cool and it thickens up. Great on vanilla or peach ice cream.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 23 2012, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 22 2012, 04:27 PM)

Do share!!

laugh.gif

There was really little to it. I used fresh pineapple and a little pineapple juice, but you can use canned... that already comes with the juice smile.gif

Just simmer on low with a little sugar and a finely diced up habanero. Let it cook like a half hour, until the pineapple looks like apple sauce and the habanero is very soft. Let ti cool and it thickens up. Great on vanilla or peach ice cream.

drool1.gif

Never had the cherry peppers but my family used to have "pepper parties" where they would pick fresh banana peppers from their garden, hollow them all out and fill them with various stuffings like ground beef, cheese, etc. Then they would batter and deep-fry them by the 100's for about 40 people.

They were absolutely delicious! Only hot if they missed a seed or two.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 30 2012, 05:11 PM)
Never had the cherry peppers but my family used to have "pepper parties" where they would pick fresh banana peppers from their garden, hollow them all out and fill them with various stuffings like ground beef, cheese, etc. Then they would batter and deep-fry them by the 100's for about 40 people.

They were absolutely delicious! Only hot if they missed a seed or two.

Nice.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 30 2012, 11:35 AM)
What do you do with the leftover oil? Do you reuse it for cooking? Reuse it for the next batch of peppers? hopefully not discard it...

I guess I would discard it? I know know.

I will say I tapped into the peppers for the first time Tuesday night with a friend of mine who makes them. He said they were as good as he's ever eaten.

They did come out tasty for sure.