Now this is a review...

eshine

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 2 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 02:50 AM)
It is succinct.

The guy sounds like a Rush fan but not a fanboy.

His comments are right on the mark.

Geddy Lee's bass is mixed further up-front than it has been in some time -- which makes his mind-blowing chops resound: there are amazing pizzicatos interspersed in driving hard rock fills and edgy, off-kilter funk riffs. His voice is more nuanced and more emotionally expressive.

Alex Lifeson's acoustic guitars have an established place here, but his electric axes roar over them throughout.

Peart's drumming is the catalyst: his technical mastery makes his playing sound purely instinctive. CA is full of dynamic surprises

I've read all the reviews of this album, but this one seemed so immediate to me - and unbiased.

It hit all the right buttons for me.

Yeah you're very wrong. Mind blowing chops? Come on now. Any very skilled bassist will tell you right now that he's doing ANYTHING difficult on this album. He just does some scale runs here and there. He's not doing the kinds of complex runs he used to do.

John Myung has MIND BLOWING chops. Geddy has never even been remotely close to that complex of a bassist.

So yeah, this reviewer IS a fanboy, like you.

And yet, instead of a "very skilled bassist" telling us this, you are.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 2 2012, 06:37 AM)
It is succinct.

Geddy Lee's bass is mixed further up-front than it has been in some time -- which makes his mind-blowing chops resound: there are amazing pizzicatos interspersed in driving hard rock fills and edgy, off-kilter funk riffs. His voice is more nuanced and more emotionally expressive.

Alex Lifeson's acoustic guitars have an established place here, but his electric axes roar over them throughout.

Peart's drumming is the catalyst: his technical mastery makes his playing sound purely instinctive. CA is full of dynamic surprises

I've read all the reviews of this album, but this one seemed so immediate to me - and unbiased.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 3 2012, 01:05 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 2 2012, 06:37 AM)
It is succinct.

laugh.gif

uhm - yeah, that was a real zinger

sarcasm.gif

It is succinct.

John Myung has MIND BLOWING chops. Geddy has never even been remotely close to that complex of a bassist.

i realize you're trying to make a point about the mind blowing chops etc...but what it comes down to is everyone has a different set of ears. john myung is like the eddie van halen of guitar with the blazing speed and all the tapping but everyone has a different style. john myung might be a great bass player, and dt might be great to many fans, but to me i can't listen to it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 3 2012, 11:43 AM)
i realize you're trying to make a point about the mind blowing chops etc...but what it comes down to is everyone has a different set of ears.  john myung is like the eddie van halen of guitar with the blazing speed and all the tapping but everyone has a different style.  john myung might be a great bass player, and dt might be great to many fans, but to me i can't listen to it.

goodpost.gif

I agree. Myung is extremely talented, but I'm just not that into Dream Theater. It doesn't detract from either player.

smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 3 2012, 10:43 AM)
It is succinct.

i realize you're trying to make a point about the mind blowing chops etc...but what it comes down to is everyone has a different set of ears. john myung is like the eddie van halen of guitar with the blazing speed and all the tapping but everyone has a different style. john myung might be a great bass player, and dt might be great to many fans, but to me i can't listen to it.

I cant listen to it as well. Sonic waste put me to sleep schla03.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 11:10 AM)

And Geddy can write circles around the pretentious and showy John Myung. His style is silly and often unlistenable, kind of like your posts.

Actually, none of those terms apply to Myung. He is very humble, and seems content to let all of the other DT musicians have center stage.

Edited by Priest of Syrinx

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Aug 3 2012, 12:19 PM)

And Geddy can write circles around the pretentious and showy John Myung. His style is silly and often unlistenable, kind of like your posts.

Actually, none of those terms apply to Myung. He is very humble, and seems content to let all of the other DT musicians have center stage.

I thought his name was Dung confused13.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 3 2012, 10:57 AM)
It is succinct.

not sonic waste but just a different kind of listen. myung is a monster on the bass but a little too much for me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 3 2012, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 3 2012, 10:57 AM)
It is succinct.

not sonic waste but just a different kind of listen. myung is a monster on the bass but a little too much for me.

pass, I will listen to Selling England by the pound, if i want true genuine prog. Not this fake shit, these clowns can't hold a candle to Early Genesis and Yes cool10.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 3 2012, 12:55 PM)

Somehow I doubt that, considering you already referenced his proper name.

Mocking someone's ethnicity is not cool.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Aug 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

I am not mocking his anything---Dummy up confused13.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 3 2012, 05:34 PM)

I think you need to put your pacifier back in your mouth... z7shysterical.gif

And, since it seems to be your favorite emoticon: confused13.gif

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Aug 3 2012, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 3 2012, 05:34 PM)

I think you need to put your pacifier back in your mouth... z7shysterical.gif

And, since it seems to be your favorite emoticon: confused13.gif

how about this one schla03.gif

There is no denying John Myung's talent. It's pure style that he lacks. He has the unfortunate fate of becoming a talented bore. It happens.

Less Claypool is a true innovator. He took his influences and ran with it. He took it to another and developed a unique sound.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 4 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 4 2012, 02:36 PM)

Less Claypool is a true innovator.

less claypool? i hope you weren't taking a shot at les. cool.gif

Not at all - he's brilliant!

Edited by eshine

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 2 2012, 04:02 AM)
"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads with a dramatic middle and end.

I missed something here quoting this, halo effect is more a mediocre ballad. confused13.gif

I completely disagree. I think It's up there with Tears, Madrigal and Different Strings.

Madrigal? Madrigal????

Dude. (just busting your balls no worries).

Anyway Halo Effect is a nice song. I like it a lot. I do not hold it in the same stratosphere as the brilliant and classic Different Strings.

I like it better than Tears for sure.

A very well written song and dare I say slightly too short?

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Aug 7 2012, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 2 2012, 04:02 AM)
"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads with a dramatic middle and end.

I missed something here quoting this, halo effect is more a mediocre ballad. confused13.gif

I completely disagree. I think It's up there with Tears, Madrigal and Different Strings.

Madrigal? Madrigal????

Dude. (just busting your balls no worries).

Anyway Halo Effect is a nice song. I like it a lot. I do not hold it in the same stratosphere as the brilliant and classic Different Strings.

I like it better than Tears for sure.

A very well written song and dare I say slightly too short?

Again, don't mean to be arumentative, but I think Halo is a perfect length. Doesn't leave you waiting for it to end- at all (like Good News First). It comes on and bloop, it's over. Doesn't overstay its welcome in the slightest. To paraphrase Pumbaa: short yet satisfying. biggrin.gif

All subjective. I find Entre Nous and Mission to be syrup in the catalog of Rush. Yeah mid tempo...but for Rush up-lifitng, ballad like songs.

As far as Halo Effect....I said slightly short wink.gif