Some insight on the NEW Kiss album, Monster

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 13 2012, 02:11 PM)
I'm pretty shocked by how little I like what I've heard of the new Kiss album and that's after really enjoying Sonic Boom. Disappointed. And I'm a Kiss apologist, that's how bleak it is.

Was interested in what your opinion would be. I went though all the clips and found it to be truly dreadful. Big disappointment as I assumed it would be better overall than Sonic Boom. The days of Revenge-era quality are clearly long gone.

Edited by greg2112

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 14 2012, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 13 2012, 02:11 PM)
I'm pretty shocked by how little I like what I've heard of the new Kiss album and that's after really enjoying Sonic Boom. Disappointed. And I'm a Kiss apologist, that's how bleak it is.

Was interested in what your opinion would be. I went though all the clips and found it to be truly dreadful. Big disappointment as I assumed it would be better overall than Sonic Boom. The days of Revenge-era quality are clearly long gone.

Still haven't given the samples a listen...

...your post(s) have not filled me with much hope. smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 13 2012, 10:28 PM)
I've taken a second listen and like it a bit more. At this point I need to hear the whole thing. Bumped up some: Eat Your Heart Out, Long Way Down (maybe the only potentially really good Paul cut), and The Devil Is Me (if I can get past hearing the GJFJ intro when he says "ME...!" goddammit). A new worst has emerged from the comet dust of spaceace Big Head...and that's Paul's Take Me Down Below, which is as bad as the title suggests. Color me stupid, but I don't mind the Singer song, a marked improvement over All For The Glory (Hole). Most of it still splashes around in a shallow, tepid, mosquito-infested kiddie pool of eye-rolling lyrics and melodic boredom. But some movement I guess. Give it another spin.

I've got to admit I don't like the clips or the full Hell or Hallelujah, it all sounds so pedestrian and boring, dull and uninspired. I really enjoyed (and still enjoy) Sonic Boom too, but it's a big regression from that. Maybe Sonic Boom was so good because they had stored up a wealth of creativity after the long recording hiatus and now they're stuck with whatever half-baked tripe they can come up with in a (relative) hurry? The production sounds horrendous too. The amazing thing is there's not really one song I can say I like, it sounds like a collection of badly recorded demo outtakes by a weak KISS soundalike band.

wacko.gif

I just listened to my first iTunes clip, for "Wall Of Sound". Does anyone else hear "Murder In High Heels"?

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 26 2012, 11:46 AM)
This Monster stuff is just depressing, hoped for so much more.

They shouldve went right back to THIS after the 96 reunion tour, best lineup ever outside of 74-77...its all about GENE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiSB7G732Eg&feature=g-vrec

I agree but it was just too hard to say no to 20,000 fan shows instead of 10,000.

And then there is the whole marketing thing.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Sep 26 2012, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 26 2012, 11:46 AM)
This Monster stuff is just depressing, hoped for so much more. 

They shouldve went right back to THIS after the 96 reunion tour, best lineup ever outside of 74-77...its all about GENE! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiSB7G732Eg&feature=g-vrec

I agree but it was just too hard to say no to 20,000 fan shows instead of 10,000.

And then there is the whole marketing thing.

Yeah I hear you, all about the $$$ with this band. Once they saw the profits, there was no turning back. Too bad.

It's also about setting up Kiss after they're gone, as misguided as I believe that plan to be.

Honestly the "people" out there bear part of the blame; those same people who wouldn't go see them if they were playing in t-shirts and jeans versus who do go to see the bombs and makeup and smoking guitars, etc. Because it's true, if this was the Revenge lineup they'd be playing county fairs and theaters right now instead of dressing up two members as TWO OTHER MEMBERS and still doing arenas and larger sheds.

The fact that it's actually working to the tune of 8-to-10K per night versus half that says as much about Joe Attendee's complicitness in this "scheme" as it does Gene and Paul's greed, truth be told.

Stop. Going. And while I'm not referring to anyone here specifically, you can't possibly say "those greedy bitches!!!" and then take the wife and kids to go see them anyhow (because they're fun!) without being part of the problem. biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 28 2012, 09:10 AM)
It's also about setting up Kiss after they're gone, as misguided as I believe that plan to be.

Honestly the "people" out there bear part of the blame; those same people who wouldn't go see them if they were playing in t-shirts and jeans versus who do go to see the bombs and makeup and smoking guitars, etc. Because it's true, if this was the Revenge lineup they'd be playing county fairs and theaters right now instead of dressing up two members as TWO OTHER MEMBERS and still doing arenas and larger sheds.

The fact that it's actually working to the tune of 8-to-10K per night versus half that says as much about Joe Attendee's complicitness in this "scheme" as it does Gene and Paul's greed, truth be told.

Stop. Going. And while I'm not referring to anyone here specifically, you can't possibly say "those greedy bitches!!!" and then take the wife and kids to go see them anyhow (because they're fun!) without being part of the problem. biggrin.gif

You are 100% right. And because of these people, we will likely never see them again in Revenge-era "mode" so to speak. Which is really unfortunate for true KISS fans. What I wouldnt do to have seen those LAmour shows in 92...

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 28 2012, 01:04 PM)

Honestly the "people" out there bear part of the blame; those same people who wouldn't go see them if they were playing in t-shirts and jeans versus who do go to see the bombs and makeup and smoking guitars, etc.  Because it's true, if this was the Revenge lineup they'd be playing county fairs and theaters right now instead of dressing up two members as TWO OTHER MEMBERS and still doing arenas and larger sheds. 

Stop.  Going.  And while I'm not referring to anyone here specifically, you can't possibly say "those greedy bitches!!!" and then take the wife and kids to go see them anyhow (because they're fun!) without being part of the problem.  biggrin.gif

You are 100% right. And because of these people, we will likely never see them again in Revenge-era "mode" so to speak. Which is really unfortunate for true KISS fans. What I wouldnt do to have seen those LAmour shows in 92...

Indeed. I'd WELCOME a return to that period.

So, I decided to give another listen to the Monster clips on itunes. Have to admit, some sound pretty decent. The songs that jumped out are below. Three of the four are GENE tunes. Check em out -

1)Shout Mercy (Paul - different, good groove, easily my favorite so far)

2)Eat Your Heart Out

3)The Devil Is Me

4)Wall of Sound

Yeah, from the interviews you read or hear with Paul, you get the feeling that the end is near for this line-up.

I think "Monster" will be the last studio album we get.

I'm believing the rumours of the "Monster" 2013 US Tour and I really think Paul will bow out and focus on his paintinga nd write his autobiography.

They were simply amazing last week in NJ.

I had row D seats...and it turned out that there was no row, A, B or C....making my seats at PNC, that's right baby, front row!

It was amazing and I can't wait for the new record and to ehar some of the new songs played live.

--------------------------------------------

In other, sadder, KISS news, Paul's Mom, Eva passed away last week at the age of 88...RIP Eva, my thoughts are with Paul with his loss.