Guitarists- what do you think of Alex's playing

jacob's ladder

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 29 2012, 03:38 PM)
And lol....did I just see someone arguing that Ghost of a chance is better than Carnies? That's funny, good joke! =p

Carnies = Masterpiece.

Ghost of a Chance is also an amazing song with one of Alex's most memorable riffs.

I love Carnies! Alex throws his entire effect tool box into that one.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jun 29 2012, 02:04 PM)

And I agree with Todem about the solo in The Garden. It is a good solo, but considering the build-up to it, and how it started off with those first few notes, it should have been a monster, but it ended up being merely a nice solo. The younger Alex Lifeson would have destroyed us with that solo.

this goodpost.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 29 2012, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2012, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 28 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 28 2012, 07:04 PM)
Maturity or out of ideas?

Troll or d**chebag?

I'd guess you are out of intelligent responses

No, you're just not worth it.

Hmmm. A troll-labeller admitting to making less than intelligent responses..I know there is a correlation somewhere here.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2012, 05:43 AM)
On this album they sound like regular stock rock riffs. Nothing really iconic sounding or anything like that. Most of it just sounds jammed out to me and not really slaved over to write amazing riffs.

There is not a single part on this album that sounds cool and iconic like 1:35 of Jacobs Ladder. He just doesnt write like that anymore, and it makes me look at this album like it's almost not even Rush, at least not the Rush I loved. They used to sound very unique, Alex played a big role in that, and now they sound kind of like any other rock band out there.

The playing itself is fine. I dont need him to be John Petrucci, Alex never was that technical, but I would like some more parts that sound like he didnt just jam them out for 5 minutes then go take a nap.

I agree with a lot of this. His guitar playing is average on this album.....definitely nothing iconic about any of it.....

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2012, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 29 2012, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 29 2012, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 28 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 28 2012, 07:04 PM)
Maturity or out of ideas?

Troll or d**chebag?

I'd guess you are out of intelligent responses

No, you're just not worth it.

Hmmm. A troll-labeller admitting to making less than intelligent responses..I know there is a correlation somewhere here.

At least your old posts were entertaining. wacko.gif

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=35919&hl=

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 29 2012, 08:19 PM)
On this album they sound like regular stock rock riffs. Nothing really iconic sounding or anything like that. Most of it just sounds jammed out to me and not really slaved over to write amazing riffs.

There is not a single part on this album that sounds cool and iconic like 1:35 of Jacobs Ladder. He just doesnt write like that anymore, and it makes me look at this album like it's almost not even Rush, at least not the Rush I loved. They used to sound very unique, Alex played a big role in that, and now they sound kind of like any other rock band out there.

The playing itself is fine. I dont need him to be John Petrucci, Alex never was that technical, but I would like some more parts that sound like he didnt just jam them out for 5 minutes then go take a nap.

I agree with a lot of this. His guitar playing is average on this album.....definitely nothing iconic about any of it.....

WC, you're so negative man. It's borderline funny. Every time I see one of your posts it's negative towards the band, no matter the subject. Even for your signature you choose a quote that blasts the band and how much S&A sucks.

Come on man, dig deep! Think about the positive things you like about Rush! What's your favorite song off Clockwork? What is it about that song that you love so much? What do you like about their live performances?

You can do it!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 29 2012, 10:20 PM)

WC, you're so negative man. It's borderline funny. Every time I see one of your posts it's negative towards the band, no matter the subject. Even for your signature you choose a quote that blasts the band and how much S&A sucks.

Come on man, dig deep! Think about the positive things you like about Rush! What's your favorite song off Clockwork? What is it about that song that you love so much? What do you like about their live performances?

You can do it!

Gonna disagree. I agree with WC on his take on Alex's guitar work on CA. There are bright spots but not my cup of tea either. I think he presents a good answer to the OP and is not trying to get a rise out of anyone.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 29 2012, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 29 2012, 10:20 PM)

You can do it!

Gonna disagree. I agree with WC on his take on Alex's guitar work on CA. There are bright spots but not my cup of tea either. I think he presents a good answer to the OP and is not trying to get a rise out of anyone.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 29 2012, 09:20 PM)

You can do it!

It's not really being negative, it's just stepping outside of Rush fandom and seeing things as they are.

Some Rush fans can love everything they do, which is fine, that's their opinion, and others like him and myself can think about what was great about them, and what's missing now. That's just our opinion on it.

Great riffs like Limelight, or that part in Jacobs really take effort to write. They dont just come out in jam sessions. They have to be crafted and slaved over until their perfect.

Well these guys are older now. Writing Rush songs isnt the only thing on their mind like it was when they were 26. When you're young nothing else matters. If it takes 2 weeks to come up with 1 great riff then fine, it's worth it, but when you're older you just jam shit out and glue it together to form songs. That's really what I'm hearing on CA. A bunch of average jams with tons of stock riffs just pieced together.

If someone else loves it thats fine, that obviously doesnt bother me, but we're just saying what we hear, which is a lot of very average writing and nothing even close to some of the riffs they came up with in the past.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2012, 11:55 PM)

You can do it!

It's not really being negative, it's just stepping outside of Rush fandom and seeing things as they are.

Some Rush fans can love everything they do, which is fine, that's their opinion, and others like him and myself can think about what was great about them, and what's missing now. That's just our opinion on it.

Great riffs like Limelight, or that part in Jacobs really take effort to write. They dont just come out in jam sessions. They have to be crafted and slaved over until their perfect.

Well these guys are older now. Writing Rush songs isnt the only thing on their mind like it was when they were 26. When you're young nothing else matters. If it takes 2 weeks to come up with 1 great riff then fine, it's worth it, but when you're older you just jam shit out and glue it together to form songs. That's really what I'm hearing on CA. A bunch of average jams with tons of stock riffs just pieced together.

If someone else loves it thats fine, that obviously doesnt bother me, but we're just saying what we hear, which is a lot of very average writing and nothing even close to some of the riffs they came up with in the past.

Another fine example of your lack of knowledge of RUSH, keep talking, keep putting your foot in your mouth. I will be here all night, bring it on .

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 30 2012, 12:00 AM)

You can do it!

Another fine example of your lack of knowledge of RUSH, keep talking, keep putting your foot in your mouth. I will be here all night, bring it on .

This guy doesnt know the difference between iconic and stock riffs. Nothing to see here people.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2012, 12:02 AM)

You can do it!

This guy doesnt know the difference between iconic and stock riffs. Nothing to see here people.

Getting under your thin little skin?

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 30 2012, 12:03 AM)

You can do it!

Lol thin. I know it pisses you off to no end that I know what the f**k Im talking about.

Go ahead and keep defending stock riffs and notes Geddy cant hit. All it makes you look like is an aging Rush fan that cant see the forest from the trees.

Yep Caravan is a great as Spirit of Radio right? If you think that then good for you. You can think that if you want and talk about it here. But if I dont think that then I have just as much right to say that if I want.

You sound like a grumpy bitch to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2012, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 30 2012, 12:03 AM)

You can do it!

Lol thin. I know it pisses you off to no end that I know what the f**k Im talking about.

Go ahead and keep defending stock riffs and notes Geddy cant hit. All it makes you look like is an aging Rush fan that cant see the forest from the trees.

Yep Caravan is a great as Spirit of Radio right? If you think that then good for you. You can think that if you want and talk about it here. But if I dont think that then I have just as much right to say that if I want.

You sound like a grumpy bitch to me.

The thing is, You din't know what the f**k you are talking about!. Are you honestlty trying to tell people that you knoe what if anything is wrong with Geddy's vocals, or what if anything is wrong with Neil's writing. Please i beg of you---Email thje band, and let me know of there response.

Man oh man, kissing the boys' feet is apparently the only way to avoid getting blasted around here. Well blast me too, because I absolutely agree with those who say Alex's playing doesn't have the fineness it used to.

Edit: Oh, and Geddy doesn't enunciate the way he used to, either. All that being said, they're still a ridiculously awesome band, and that's enough for me. Still, I feel like those two gripes are pretty clear to anyone not wearing the rose-colored glasses.

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 30 2012, 12:15 AM)
Man oh man, kissing the boys' feet is apparently the only way to avoid getting blasted around here. Well blast me too, because I absolutely agree with those who say Alex's playing doesn't have the fineness it used to.

Edit: Oh, and Geddy doesn't enunciate the way he used to, either. All that being said, they're still a ridiculously awesome band, and that's enough for me. Still, I feel like those two gripes are pretty clear to anyone not wearing the rose-colored glasses.

Good for you, open your friggin ears

I know I'm probably one of those *other* fly by night posters that no one knows about too much, but I'm gonna post a string of replies here. Alex's playing is one of the strongest reasons I love Rush.

I have to reply to each thread in order -- it's just too much to pass up so many valid points and rebuttals in a single thread.

Bottomline: Alex is my biggest guitar influence.

QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Jun 28 2012, 10:55 AM)
I am really digging this album, I consider it a masterpiece. That being said I would really like to hear some longer jams & longer guitar solos. I'm not a guitarist, but to me it seems like Alex hardly even solos in this album (with the exception of caravan & headlong flight), but it is just holding out notes & feedback etc.

Can someone who plays guitar tell me what you think of his playing on this album? Is it tougher to play than it sounds?

Thanks! 1022.gif

I also think this is a strong album for Rush as a whole. As a somewhat accomplished musician, "masterpiece" is a word I hesitate to hand out too easily.

Alex is a very talented and versatile guitarist, no doubt. But I agree with you for the most part -- the best solos are very good, but not legendary, and there is a lot more old school jamming than there are stellar moments compared to most everything else before and including Counterparts.

Still, Alex is a very mature player, very aware of what other guitarists think of his playing. Even the seemingly simpler parts are deceptively tricky to play.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 28 2012, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (jacob's ladder @ Jun 28 2012, 10:55 AM)
I am really digging this album, I consider it a masterpiece.  That being said I would really like to hear some longer jams & longer guitar solos.  I'm not a guitarist, but to me it seems like Alex hardly even solos in this album (with the exception of caravan & headlong flight), but it is just holding out notes & feedback etc.

Can someone who plays guitar tell me what you think of his playing on this album?  Is it tougher to play than it sounds? 

Thanks!  1022.gif

Well it's very short, but he does have a pretty cool solo late in Anarchist. He does some very Kirk Hammett like shredding in Headlong.

As far as chords he just does a lot of normal rock chord progressions and riffs. Lots of power chord stuff. I always wished he used dissonant chords more. He does at the end of Cygnus X-1 I believe, but never got too into it.

Dissonant chords can take a section from sounding very normal to giving it a bit of an edgier sound. They sound a little messy and off key in a way, and it works well when used right. It's hard to find examples of rock bands using it but since I listen to Mars Volta a lot (thanks to Neil), they use dissonant chords a LOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2itoyvCJdQ

Around 3:00 he uses them in the background. Can hear them maybe a little better at 3:30 when the vocals go up higher.

Trenken, I don't find your analytic opinions as distasteful as many here seem to... I actually give you the benefit of the doubt from a musician's point of view and understand where you're coming from.

The way I see it, for an artist/musician, we can attempt to create what we see/hear in our imagination, and aspire to higher standards, but rarely do we achieve. Rush has done so so very often, we can agree on that, yes?

Still, that Mars Volta "dissonance" excerpt is but a drop in the ocean compared to Alex's creations. There is a healthy heaping of dissonance and polytonality on CA. But, but, but plenty more in the past, after Cygnus X1, from PeW to GUP to Presto to VT... (ask me for proof, if you need to)...

And yet I agree with your intent -- CA is stock rock.

The dissonance comes mostly from the production.... wacko.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 28 2012, 11:40 AM)
I have seen various threads that kind of criticize Alex's playing, or at least insinuate that it isn't anything special. I'm not guitar player but I don't get it. He solos more than he has in 20 years, number one. He has some classic Big Al Riffs, like Clockwork Angels, Caravan, Seven Cities, and Carnies. And he has his best solo since Cut to the Chase with The Garden.

I can't speak to how technical or "hard" it is to play what he plays, but he has always been more about emotion and riffing than technically challenging stuff, and this album I think he shines

I think Lerxst12 is someone no modern guitarist could rightfully dismiss offhand.

But if you go back 20 years, that goes to 1992. Counterparts came out in 1993, and from a guitar solo point of view, both technically and emotionally, I challenge anyone to demonstrate a stronger string of solos...

Yes, CA has a lot of great riffs throughout the album.... CA, Caravan, 7, Carnies' opening riff.

But the OP asks about solos, and Lerxst solos are collectors' items. Riffs are a different story. CA is solid for a few solos, but nothing legendary IMHO.

As a guitarist (though (classical) trumpet is my first instrument), I'd have to say that Alex's playing has never been the most technically dazzling thing under the sun. Even in his most difficult compositions (Hemispheres/Permanent Waves), it still doesn't take that much time or technical mastery to simply learn the parts. That's just how it is. If you want something that hardly anyone else can muster the coordination to replicate, go listen to some Andres Segovia. Or if classical isn't your thing, listen to Behold... The Arctopus or something. Now that is un-"pedestrian".

Alex doesn't seek to impress by contorting his hands or playing long strings of notes, though. The principal objective in Rush's music-making is to create an atmosphere and an emotional connection to the audience through music. They also seek synergy with the lyrics. As it so happened, their earlier material had esoteric lyrics and esoteric music. Now, as lyrical themes have grown more universal, the music has too. There's something to be said about writing something that is memorable the first time, and fresh the fiftieth. While the parts on Clockwork Angels are not virtuoso, they are successful as an art. And that's what matters. It comes down to whether you view music as an art or a sport. Nothing wrong with treating it as a sport when you are proving your ability and versatility upon your arrival on the scene, but Alex clearly understands its role as art at this point in life.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 28 2012, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 28 2012, 12:40 PM)
I have seen various threads that kind of criticize Alex's playing, or at least insinuate that it isn't anything special. I'm not guitar player but I don't get it. He solos more than he has in 20 years, number one. He has some classic Big Al Riffs, like Clockwork Angels, Caravan, Seven Cities, and Carnies. And he has his best solo since Cut to the Chase with The Garden.

I can't speak to how technical or "hard" it is to play what he plays, but he has always been more about emotion and riffing than technically challenging stuff, and this album I think he shines

I have to disagree about the Garden being his best in 20 years since Cut to the Chase. CTTC is not even a better solo than Animate or Leave That Thing Alone on the same album. But it is purely subjective of course. I like Cut to the Chase a lot. But Animate and LTTA and heck even Cold Fire are far more emotive and signature Lifeson.

And I would say The Way The Wind Blows guitar work and solo section is sizzling. And the solo in the Main Monkey Business is an amazing 2001 space oddessy trip!

The Garden is a solo where I thought the first measure..." here we go another epic Alex solo" but to be honest....it missed the mark overall. It feels rushed. It felt like a take and like Alex settled. He can play much better than that.

Limelight

Ghost of a Chance

Bravado

Those solo's are masterpieces and i would never hold The Garden in those solo's jock.

The Garden is a decent solo, served the song....but that was it. It served what is a fantastic song.

He has much better solo's on CA in Headlong Flight, The title Track and even Caravan than The Garden.

But...it is subject to debate like anything.

I much agree with the direction of what you're saying here, although I don't recall any S&A solo searing a memory in my mind's ear... will have to go back and give TWTWB another listen.

The Garden's solo is something to talk about. First of all, almost all of Alex's guitar solos rely upon the upper register, and end on a searingly emotional high note or riff... literally...

The Garden takes a more wizened approach, what with the gravely serious tone of the song overall. Emotion triumphs technical flash, and Alex's slow and low evocation, to me, is outstanding. It's, thankfully, a solo that extends into 2 sections.

This part is for the guitarists: you ever notice that in a lot of Alex's solos, he pinches and bends harmonics to squeeze that extra bit of colorful emotion out of his solos, esp near the end, always serving the lyrical message of the song? (Ask for a half dozen examples if you want to experience it again).

The Garden's solo is a prime example of that pinch/squeeze/dripping emotion tradition. The last part of that solo he jumps through several planes of heart-stringing (4:48), to that last part that isn't quite pinched a couple of octaves higher (4:52)... you "hear/feel* the implied higher emotion anyway...

It cuts through, despite the production...