Live Instrumentals

GUPower Windows

The proof is in the...uh...pudding I guess.

I've scoured the interwebs for a long time to find Limbo performed live soundboard style or something, but nothing has turned up :s Still found a decent one though where there's some extra bass stuff not on the original track. Idk if this even the right place to post this, I just wanted to share the best live instrumental vidjas I could find.

La Villa Strangiato This. This is just insane.

YYZ - ASoH This video actually turned me on to Rush in High School and I haven't been able to stop listening ever since.

Bootleg style. Fantastic quality. What sets this version apart from the album version in the awesome intro and the Alex's solo that just tears the album version a new one.

Ahh, The Palace at Auburn Hills (aka the dvd that never was). There are so many great performances of this song, and they're all great in their own respective way, but this version just captures the song as it was meant to sound... I mean it's the Counterparts tour wink.gif

Apparently this performance was supposed to be on the Different Stages DVD and got cancelled or something to that degree. It could be better, but it's the best available to my knowledge.

Surprisingly enough, a fan made video. Idk where the audio is from, but it's definitely soundboard quality to these ears. I prefer this version to the album version, especially for Alex's solo, which isn't really a solo as much as it is atmospheric noise, but the sound he makes coming out of it just blows my mind.

The Main Monkey Business - Live in Holland I used to not be a big fan of this song, but seeing this performance changed everything. Rush is just absolutely top notch with their instrumentals, and this song isn't an exception.

Anyway, hope somebody finds this at least slightly amusing or something.

2.gif

Mirrors Soundboard. Where's My Thing?

There are 3 LIVE limbo soundboards, Technically 6 if you could scanners.

Echoes on the Stage (Rehersal Soundboard) Bigger, and Better in Texas (Soundboard) Black Ice (Scanner, Tampa) Great Woods, and Summer Skies (Soundboard, Not great, like some people think. I find it to be much too distant.) and Toronto 1997 (Scanner)

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 28 2012, 04:15 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLyHMhQetoU Mirrors Soundboard. Where's My Thing?

There are 3 LIVE limbo soundboards, Technically 6 if you could scanners.

Echoes on the Stage (Rehersal Soundboard) Bigger, and Better in Texas (Soundboard) Black Ice (Scanner, Tampa) Great Woods, and Summer Skies (Soundboard, Not great, like some people think. I find it to be much too distant.) and Toronto 1997 (Scanner)

Mirrors is such a good SB. I have my old computer in the garage, but I was able to get a lot of the boots from the different stages part of TRF as well as other places. I need to get them off of there and maybe upload them to mediafire or something and hit up that area of the site to help restore it to it's former glory. MU shutting down pretty much decimated it.

Limbo just always gets overlooked sad.gif it's very tragic. I actually have A REALLY hard time ranking the instrumentals, but my gut always puts La Villa at #1 even though it isn't my favourite. Honestly, Part IV of the Gangster of Boats Trilogy has to be it for me wink.gif especially a live version of it. Has anyone tried listening to the instrumentals backwards minus MalNar? They kinda flow...minus the fact that they're all produced differently and what not.

1. Main Monkey Business

2. Limbo

3. Leave That Thing Alone

4. Where's My Thing

I really, really want to see Where's My Thing back in the set. It's such a great track. Very upbeat for them, and Neil's snare work is on fire in that track.

Please make this happen!

Edited by xx2112xx

Great thread, I love this stuff. I definitely have a sweet spot for the instrumentals, and watching them being played live is even better.

The video you posted of La Villa is my favorite as well. For Leave That Thing Alone, the Time Machine DVD performance is the best one I've ever seen.

Back when I was just starting to get into Rush, and YYZ was already my favorite song, I went looking for videos of it on Youtube, and came across the Rush in Rio DVD performance. That was probably the first live Rush video I'd seen. It completely blew me away. That one will always be special as sort of a landmark to me. I'm not a big fan of mid and late 80's Rush, so I don't tend to favor those performances. The S&A DVD version deserves recognition because Geddy's playing on it is excellent.

Though it's far from the best, I've also always enjoyed this performance of YYZ:

Geddy's solos are especially fierce in this one, and I also love the little flourishes he throws in at about 4:03 and 4:17, which I've never heard him do any other time.

... just so happens I have a half hour to kill here. thanks for the vid link!

trink39.gif 1022.gif