About Caravan...

Drummerrobin

Which mix of Caravan do you prefer?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which mix of Caravan do you prefer?

• Single mix
    • Album mix

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 25 2012, 08:59 PM)
single mix... they should have kept the same mix on the album. It's like they said "ok, let's remix these two songs for the album... let's just lower the drums, turn up the keys/effects and add some weird effects to the bass. That should do it..."

You're not allowed to say that here. The fanboys throw a shit fit.

Anyone with decent ears and not listening on an ipod can clearly hear the mix in the single versions is better than all songs on the album.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 25 2012, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 07:52 PM)
Single by a mile. The single has much more punch to it. Just listen to the drums. They were killed on the album.

The single versions of Caravan and BU2B both sound better than the entire album. They had a lot more balls and were changed to match the rest of the songs, and now none of them have as much power as those 2 singles had.

Drums are not "killed" and no, the single versions are not better than the whole album. Give me a freakin break dude. I notice that at every opportunity almost in every thread, you say things to minimize and put down this album to no end. Fine, you dont like the record, but you keep saying that in various forms almost all the time. You also said you didnt like us Rush fans, this forum, or the mods very vehemently. I dont get you dude. Why such spite? Why do you post on the CA forum if you hate CA so much? Your negativity is completely off the charts......way beyond just expressing opinion.

He must be listening to the album, with his "STUDIO' haedphones. rofl3.gif A very unhappy little man.

It's freakin ridiculous. I should ignore him, but it's hard to when in almost every thread he's saying something or another to spite this record.....and many times he does it in not so obvious ways as try and appear innocent.....I don't know how many times I've heard him say it's only better than TFE, VT, and S and A.......and doesn't even come CLOSE to anything pre Presto...I've heard him say that in various threads over and over and over..........JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Really wish there was a blocking function on this thing so I don't have to read another F### anti CA post of his again. F###!!!!

Go ahead and ignore me. I dont even know who you are. Listen to the drums in the single versions, then listen to them on the albums version and try to tell me you think they sound better. Listen to that kick drum in the single version. Blast it on a good stereo, or through studio headphones, or in a decent car system. It kicks ass. Then put the album version on. If you cant hear the difference then there's no helping you.

Only way Ill ever believe anyone thinks the album version sounds better you're listening on an ipod with earbuds where you cant tell the difference anyway.

You fanboys are ridiculous. I cant mention that the drums sound worse now? Go post both versions on any recording forum, like say the Logic forums on apple.com, let me know which version they tell you sounds better. I already know every single person there will tell you the singles sound better. Go ahead and try and argue with those guys. You'll look like a total idiot.

I'm a fan boi? I actually agree that the single mix is better. But, of course, what you think is always "the truth" and everyone else's opinions are shit, right? You know better than everyone else right? We're just a bunch of dumb asses who know nothing, while you, the music expert, are high and mighty above us right? Such a narcissist.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

Dude, it's not what you say it's how you say it. Even the mods agree. Your negativity is rampant and it poisons the whole forum. You said you don't like Rush fans, this forum, or the mods. Again, I will ask, why do you post here? Post all you want in the classic Rush forums. But, if you hate CA that much, why keep ranting the same crap in every thread that you can pull?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 25 2012, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 25 2012, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 25 2012, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 07:52 PM)
Single by a mile. The single has much more punch to it. Just listen to the drums. They were killed on the album.

The single versions of Caravan and BU2B both sound better than the entire album. They had a lot more balls and were changed to match the rest of the songs, and now none of them have as much power as those 2 singles had.

Drums are not "killed" and no, the single versions are not better than the whole album. Give me a freakin break dude. I notice that at every opportunity almost in every thread, you say things to minimize and put down this album to no end. Fine, you dont like the record, but you keep saying that in various forms almost all the time. You also said you didnt like us Rush fans, this forum, or the mods very vehemently. I dont get you dude. Why such spite? Why do you post on the CA forum if you hate CA so much? Your negativity is completely off the charts......way beyond just expressing opinion.

He must be listening to the album, with his "STUDIO' haedphones. rofl3.gif A very unhappy little man.

It's freakin ridiculous. I should ignore him, but it's hard to when in almost every thread he's saying something or another to spite this record.....and many times he does it in not so obvious ways as try and appear innocent.....I don't know how many times I've heard him say it's only better than TFE, VT, and S and A.......and doesn't even come CLOSE to anything pre Presto...I've heard him say that in various threads over and over and over..........JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Really wish there was a blocking function on this thing so I don't have to read another F### anti CA post of his again. F###!!!!

Maybe he will warm up to it? confused13.gif

LOL...I like your sense of humor.....

As for you, you are cool with me. See, you don't like the album much, but you don't go about putting it down every chance you get and sticking it in people's faces and repeating the same criticism a thousand times in different threads. It's not at all about liking or not liking the album.......it's the way you talk, your tone, your attitude, etc.

BTW, I know you don't like CA much, but which song do you gravitate towards?

For me, CA is not perfect, but I'm enjoying it a lot...enjoying it more than any recent Rush record. That's all I can say. WAY too early to compare it to any of their decades old albums.

I like about half of it.....CA, The Anarchist, and The Garden would be my favs...

Well, if you only like half, you made some damn good choices for favorites IMO.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 25 2012, 09:16 PM)
Dude, it's not what you say it's how you say it. Even the mods agree. Your negativity is rampant and it poisons the whole forum. You said you don't like Rush fans, this forum, or the mods. Again, I will ask, why do you post here? Post all you want in the classic Rush forums. But, if you hate CA that much, why keep ranting the same crap in every thread that you can pull?

You've been asked this question before by me and others, but you never answer it. Because you know it's true...you're just here to try and piss people off...otherwise, why would anyone who doesn't like new Rush, doesn't like CA, doesn't like this forum, doesn't like the mods, doesn't even like a lot of Rush fans, come here and post constant negativity?

I've had no problem with a lot of people who criticize CA. It's not about that at all and I'm certainly no fan boi by your warped definition.

F*** this. Wasting my time ranting about a narcissist. You say you don't know me? Good, I'm glad.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jun 25 2012, 08:16 PM)
I prefer the album mixes by a mile.

I didn't even like Caravan or BU2B all that much when they released them as singles, but now I think they are both really good songs.

I was actually pretty shocked by how much better a re-mixing could make them.

I don't care to ever listen to the singles versions again.

+1

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 25 2012, 08:03 PM)
I love the echo of "...in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinkin big" at the end of the album version.

YES!!! I love that extra little something.

I prefer the album version. It just seems more clean, more sprightly.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 25 2012, 04:55 PM)
The only thing I do not like about the album mix is the drums. I love everything else.

Wish they would have left the drums alone.

This is a two pronged problem. The drums have compression applied either during tracking or mixing (or worse both) then that's compounded by compressing the entire mix. From what I have learned from guys who make records is that drums using compression as an "effect" (meaning altering the tone for creative purposes) then running the entire mix through compression may/will adversely affect anything that had been compressed in a mix. So if Nick puts a compressor on individual channels then compresses the entire mix things start getting limited well before the mastering stage.

Ideally mix engineers such as Alan Parsons have also mentioned he detests compressing drums at all, but during the 90s especially the fashion has been to smash drums to get extra tone out of them. Nice idea in theory, but not in practice. I won't bog down with too many technical terms but there are ways to mix so that the original tracks are uncompressed but you can "tap" a given signal (in a sense a copy) and send that to another channel and compress it then mix it with the original. What this does is allows the dynamic range to remain then add some of the compressed signal to it for flavor. That's not happening here. This is referred to as parallel processing.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I really like the album mix of Caravan. The synths and guitar parts are more clearly defined. I also enjoy the cool phaser effect on the bass and Geddy's vocal delay at the end.

However I think the new mix of BU2B has brought the partial loss of some of the fluttery keyboards. I just can't seem to hear them well on the album. sad.gif