My harddrive crashed!

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 25 2012, 11:40 AM)
Get a new one. Rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

you bet. Interestingly, I just copied all of my stuff off the other day because it was running slow. I thought maybe the drive was all fragged, so I did a defrag, and then the damn thing wouldn't even load afterwards.

I think I am going to replace the HD and give it to my daughter.... and get my son a new one for college and take his old one (or the new one if he rather keep the one he has now)

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Mine did too. My whole computer just died about a week ago. sad.gif

Ironically enough, I'd been paying a visit to TRF when my internet screen started getting all blinky, then blinked off, landing me back to my desktop. This happened twice more before a huge cascade of error messages telling me a 'read-write' failed, then a message telling me about a problem with my hard drive. I shrugged and figured I'd just re-start the computer.... but it wouldn't move past the first loading screen, because it said it was "missing operating system"!

I broke into a cold sweat ("What do I do now?!"), and there was nothing I could do. Coincidently, my boyfriend and I had just ordered a new computer, and it would be ready in just a few days, so I'd been waiting until then to transfer the old computer onto the new one. If only I'd had a few more days, because...

I lost everything. All that I'd worked on for the past year or two, all my photos (including the last ones I took of my grandpa before he died), all my music (my music collection and the music that I've made), all my documents, all my projects, my journals from the past two years. Every single interesting thing I'd found on my computer travels and amassed in an folder of interest (and not just cute pictures of kitties!). All gone.

Oh yes, I know all about backing stuff up, and had a 3TB external hard drive, which crapped out a few months ago and I lost all of my Rush on it. I've been saving up for a new computer for a while and just waiting for it so I could store everything I had left on it. I never expected my computer to die 3 days before being able to preserve everything! comp26.gif

So from now on, I'm going to triple back-up everything. I'll spend the extra $300 or so on extra external hard drives if it means I don't have to go through this loss again.

It's amazing how dependent we are on technology, and how terrible it can be when it fails. sad.gif

Oh, and I did get my computer checked out by the guy that put together the new computer - he couldn't do anything to salvage my hard drive. He said I could send it away to some lab and they could hand-scan the drive and hopefully recover stuff that way, but it could cost thousands of dollars.... Aw.

This is the first post I've made on this computer since Friday morning.

I thought mine crashed as well....I've been working on it since then...taken it apart, tested drives, cards, PSU's...bought a new hard drive but I'mot using it...and now it works....as if nothing happened....I can't explain shit...It's working now...don't know why.

QUOTE (Khan @ Jul 3 2012, 02:27 PM)
Back it up people....can't be any simpler.

No kidding.

You never know what's going to happen around the corner, and sometimes "I'll get to it tomorrow" becomes too late.

If only... my external hard drive hadn't crapped out.

If only... my computer had hung on for just four more days. Really, with being 9 years old, just four more days doesn't seem that far-fetched.

If only... I could salvage all my stuff on it.

sad.gif