A Different kind of Truth vs. C. A

Xanadoood

Wich do you prefer?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Wich do you prefer?

• 1. A Different Kind of Truth
    • 2. Clockwork Angels

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 26 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Jun 26 2012, 09:07 AM)
I saw Van Halen a couple of nights ago... Honestly Kool & the Gang played a better show and I hate their music. Van Halen was very boring. David Lee Roth just kept talking during songs. Their new material sucked. I would NEVER vote ADKOT over Clockwork Angels dazed025.gif

DLR has been terrible this tour.......

I must have caight them on an inspired night (Pittsburgh - 30 March), as they were fantastic...very tight and sounded great.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Van Halen a couple of nights ago... Honestly Kool & the Gang played a better show and I hate their music. Van Halen was very boring. David Lee Roth just kept talking during songs. Their new material sucked. I would NEVER vote ADKOT over Clockwork Angels dazed025.gif

But he is singing better than he has since 1981 laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 26 2012, 06:29 PM)

I must have caight them on an inspired night (Pittsburgh - 30 March), as they were fantastic...very tight and sounded great.

The 2 shows i saw were Great

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2012, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 10:20 AM)
I've only heard the Van Halen album once or twice.  It was a really good album, and one they should be proud of.  It's REALLY cool that they managed to pull off a solid album with DLR after all these years.

Still, Van Halen in their wildest dreams couldn't make an album with the significance and complexity of Clockwork Angels.

Van Halen are a great, fun, party band.  There's a place for that, but to compare it to a band that makes such deep and meaningful music as Rush, and Clockwork Angels specifically, is kind of silly IMHO.  It's like asking if you'd rather have a hip, fun motor scooter or a Jaguar.  Comparing the two is kind of ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous. Because Rush and VH come from the same era. And back in the day there were discussions about each band.

This poll was For fun. I'm well aware of the musical differences between the bands.

I guess we are all just super f*ckin serious in our old age now. Oh well.

I'm not saying the thread is ridiculous. I'm just saying comparing Van Halen to Rush is like comparing Velveeta to brie. It's not a fair fight. Van Halen are way out of their depth by comparison.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 05:34 PM)

vocally? I know lots of people who have seen them on this tour at different shows, and the comments are always the same.....mumbling between songs, singing vocal melodies totally different etc...Guess you must've been lucky...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 26 2012, 07:24 PM)

vocally? I know lots of people who have seen them on this tour at different shows, and the comments are always the same.....mumbling between songs, singing vocal melodies totally different etc...Guess you must've been lucky...

No, he did all that laugh.gif he just sounds better than he has in Years . I am saying the show as a Whole , Ed is ripping it up and the set is great

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 07:18 PM)

I guess we are all just super f*ckin serious in our old age now. Oh well. [/quote]
I'm not saying the thread is ridiculous. I'm just saying comparing Van Halen to Rush is like comparing Velveeta to brie. It's not a fair fight. Van Halen are way out of their depth by comparison.

Well if VH is Velveeta i guess that makes The Dead Spam ohmy.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 26 2012, 07:24 PM)

No, he did all that laugh.gif he just sounds better than he has in Years . I am saying the show as a Whole , Ed is ripping it up and the set is great

trink39.gif cool..

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 26 2012, 04:22 PM)

He was not terrible at all in San Jose. He sounded very good.

It was a great show. One of my favorite concerts of all time.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2012, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2012, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 25 2012, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 25 2012, 04:02 PM)
Anyone who thinks ADKOT is a good Van Halen album is deluding themselves. It's like clapping when your grandad sings one of his old army songs, you clap because you love him not because he is good.

Yes. Tattoo is embarrassingly bad, and ADKOT can't even compare to CA.

(It's like Van Halen's Superconductor)

When have the two EVER been comparable? They're different arenas of rock. Van Halen does WHAT THEY DO far better than Rush ever could and vice versa. I don't want to hear Prog Halen and I also don't want Rush to do their own Hot For Teacher any time soon either.

Just because Rush floats your boat more doesn't mean you have to put another act down. They push completely different buttons.

They're both excellent albums for their respective catalogues.

Why would I compare the two albums? I don't know, maybe because that's the whole point of this thread?

Sorry for voicing my opinion.

Thanks for missing the point.

Again, let's compare Tori Amos and Rotting Christ while we're at it. Apples and hand grenades...Rush and Van Halen. Not sure how you compare different styles looking for a victor. Oh and go ask this quesiton on a Van Halen forum for predictably opposite results as well. wink.gif

I like Finding Nemo AND The Godfather. biggrin.gif They may be bands from the same era, but stylistically they have almost nothing in common.

What album do you enjoy more? That was really what I was getting at..Rush and VH both come from hard rock roots. Rush is more cerebral obviously, but they both rock out , in different ways.

I wasn't expecting quite the backlash with this poll.

I already answered: I'm not sure just yet. I know Truth a whole lot better than the new Rush album. Regardless though, in whatever order, they'd be my top 2 of the year.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:32 AM)
A better question would be to figure out whether or not Clockwork Angels or The Black Chord by Astra is better. Now there would be two amazing albums to compare, even though they're very, very different.

The only correct answer is The Weirding

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 08:33 PM)

I guess we are all just super f*ckin serious in our old age now. Oh well.

I'm not saying the thread is ridiculous. I'm just saying comparing Van Halen to Rush is like comparing Velveeta to brie. It's not a fair fight. Van Halen are way out of their depth by comparison. [/quote]
Well if VH is Velveeta i guess that makes The Dead Spam ohmy.gif

The Dead? 062802puke_prv.gif

Not even close to the same type of band either.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:18 PM)

I'm just saying comparing Van Halen to Rush is like comparing Velveeta to brie. It's not a fair fight. Van Halen are way out of their depth by comparison.

So to summarize...

Van Halen is like a big bowl of gooey macaroni and cheese topped with that processed melty cheese, while Rush is a sophisticated cracker, dipped in a warm complex cheese with a crust on it baked slightly to perfection in the oven.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 29 2012, 04:35 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:18 PM)

I'm just saying comparing Van Halen to Rush is like comparing Velveeta to brie.  It's not a fair fight.  Van Halen are way out of their depth by comparison.

So to summarize...

Van Halen is like a big bowl of gooey macaroni and cheese topped with that processed melty cheese, while Rush is a sophisticated cracker, dipped in a warm complex cheese with a crust on it baked slightly to perfection in the oven.

Van Halen is like Domino's to Rush's Pepe's on Wooster Street in New Haven. I know you'll get the reference. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 25 2012, 05:02 PM)
Anyone who thinks ADKOT is a good Van Halen album is deluding themselves. It's like clapping when your grandad sings one of his old army songs, you clap because you love him not because he is good.

May be the second time I have ever agreed with you on anything...

laugh.gif

ADKOT is pitiful. Dave has lost it. He can't sing. It's awful singing, God awful, next to decent, tolerable music. Ed is great, but, that's it.

I was terribly disappointed.