Clockwork Angels now available at HDTracks.com

MUSICinTheABsTrAcT

I saw someone on what.cd comment about this...

HDTracks released this with 05 Carnies and 06 Halo Effect's titles swapped, and wait until you see how loud they made it. You'll be able to hang your Rush posters on that brick wall.

And you would think they'd know the importance of leading zeros in track numbers, seeing that their sole business is the distribution of numbered audio files.

Botched.

But that sounds more like a complaint of the ID tags. The loudness of the album is going to be the case regardless. So this really tells us nothing. Kind of curious about this as well.

Hopefully some people on TRF post impressions.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 03:14 PM)
So apparently the 24/96 doesn't sound any less compressed than the regular cd. Still has a DR rating of 6. That's pretty compressed folks. Some might not hear it, but it is.

So I'm not the only one who finds the sound quality to be not very good?

I posted that question on a couple threads. Nobody responded. Figured they must have thought I was trolling.

I asked if it was possible I had a defective cd. It is muddy, fuzzy, no high end. I can't hear Neil's cymbals most of the time, sometimes at all. It sounds like my ears need to be popped. But they don't. It sounds VT'd but not as loud.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:48 PM)
What I'm hearing is that HD tracks has merely upsampled the 16/44.1 tapes to 24/96...waste of time if this is truly the case. They wouldnt be high rez if this is fact.

Where did you hear that? I heard the exact opposite over on the Stevehoffman forums.

Actually that's where I got mu info as well. As a matter of fact, someone just posted the DR values from the HD tracks version and the CD version. They're almost identical. That means its been upsampled. Is is not high rez...its a rip-off!

If the album was mixed at 96kHz@24bit and then down sampled to redbook (44.1kHz@16bit), wouldn't the DR value be the same? I don't have foobar on this machine so I can't check this value.

However, I did the following Frequency Analysis tests on several different files/resolution...

The Garden - 192 mp3

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/graphics/rush_192mp3.jpg

The Garden - 44.1kHz@16bit (CD/redbook)

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/graphics/rush_redbook.jpg

The Garden - 96kHz@24bit (High Resolution)

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/graphics/rush_96khz.jpg

The Garden - 44.1kHz@16bit upsampled to 96kHz@24bit

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/graphics/rush_upsampled.jpg

-Rob

Edited by Robinator

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 12 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 03:14 PM)
So apparently the 24/96 doesn't sound any less compressed than the regular cd.  Still has a DR rating of 6.  That's pretty compressed folks.  Some might not hear it, but it is.

So I'm not the only one who finds the sound quality to be not very good?

I posted that question on a couple threads. Nobody responded. Figured they must have thought I was trolling.

I asked if it was possible I had a defective cd. It is muddy, fuzzy, no high end. I can't hear Neil's cymbals most of the time, sometimes at all. It sounds like my ears need to be popped. But they don't. It sounds VT'd but not as loud.

I've been trying to refrain from complaining about the mix/mastering because this is some of the most kick ass music Rush has produced in years, but it does bum me out. It's too loud and overly compressed, which is dumbfounding after what happened with VT. You did not get a bad copy. Check out some of the hi-res versions on you tube and see if they sound similar to you.

Maybe they can get Steven Wilson to do a 5.1 mix. That would make me giddy smile.gif

Just because the redbook and hd versions have the same DR doesn't mean that the hd is simply upsampled. It just means both were mastered similarly. If you want the clearest sound get the vinyl. That has an average DR11 rating versus the cd/hd having a DR6 rating.

I haven't used vinyl in 25 years, but I do have a cool linear turntable. I may try hooking it up, buying the album, and giving it a listen there. Perhaps I'll get even more out of the album than I am now, which would really be something !