Halo Effect

losingit2k

The words are reflective yet beautiful. It has a very accessible melody. The song is like "Half the world" meets "Working them Angels". I feel its a great little song and could very easily be another RUSH single along the lines of the two mentioned above or Closer to the Heart!

Any Thoughts!

2.gif wub.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I like the verses a lot but like I do with so many songs the chorus doesnt do much for me. I guess I was hoping for it to be more epic and melodic, like Second Nature I guess, but it's just kind of a straight forward rock chorus.

I feel that way about a lot of the songs. Anarchist verses cool, chorus not too exciting. Carnies starts off funky, chorus doesnt deliver for me. 7 cities, wicked verses, standard issue rock pre-chorus, but kind of gets back on track with the chorus.

Geddy for so long has been so hung up on these normal sounding choruses, I wish he would just go nuts with some of them. I guess a quick example would be this chorus. Wish they went off the wall a bit more with some of the choruses but they just dont want to do it.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 09:06 PM)
I like the verses a lot but like I do with so many songs the chorus doesnt do much for me. I guess I was hoping for it to be more epic and melodic, like Second Nature I guess, but it's just kind of a straight forward rock chorus.

I feel that way about a lot of the songs. Anarchist verses cool, chorus not too exciting. Carnies starts off funky, chorus doesnt deliver for me. 7 cities, wicked verses, standard issue rock pre-chorus, but kind of gets back on track with the chorus.

Geddy for so long has been so hung up on these normal sounding choruses, I wish he would just go nuts with some of them. I guess a quick example would be this chorus. Wish they went off the wall a bit more with some of the choruses but they just dont want to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AnCuTVUqxM&t=1m15s

How did I know that the link would be a Mars Volta song? tongue.gif

Great band, by the way.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 8 2012, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 09:06 PM)

How did I know that the link would be a Mars Volta song? tongue.gif

Haha. I actually only do it because Neil is a fan of theirs, so I have a real reason for posting them. Neil has this album!

Crazy to me though that they hear creative stuff like this, then bang out a lot of safe choruses. He needs to lend some of this stuff to Geddy and tell him to losen up with the choruses a bit.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 08:06 PM)

Mars Volta rocks but come on, they are world aparts right now! Maybe back during A Farewell to Kings! But not now Geddy vocals & writing has become way too refined.

But I see what you mean!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Interesting that you complain about the choruses so much, but Alex in that recent interview said the choruses were one of the things they were most proud of on CA. Funny how opinions can differ so widely. Haha....read my sig..... biggrin.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 8 2012, 08:12 PM)

Mars Volta rocks but come on, they are world aparts right now! Maybe back during A Farewell to Kings! But not now Geddy vocals & writing has become way too refined.

But I see what you mean!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I dont know if I agree with that. I just personally think he's just stuck in this rut of 1 way to write songs, and gets creative here and there, he's done on it this album with some of those verses. The 7 cities verses are a bit out there for them and I love it, but then right back to what he's comfortable with.

I dont mean for him to sing has high as Cedric does, Cedric sings like old Geddy and is much younger than Geddy, but they can still break the rules with some of these choruses if they wanted, he just wont do it.

I dont want to nitpick everything they do but I do notice these things and they bug me. I see the potential there still but they just wont completely break through that wall for whatever reason.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 08:15 PM)

Interesting that you complain about the choruses so much, but Alex in that recent interview said the choruses were one of the things they were most proud of on CA. Funny how opinions can differ so widely. Haha....read my sig..... biggrin.gif

Well they slaved over these songs so I would imagine you get tunnel vision. I do when I work on my own stuff then cant even tell anymore if its actually good. If I get hung up on a part for a while, eventually I convince myself its good because maybe Im too lazy to trash it after so much work.

Its just my opinion. He can disagree of course as can others. Just sharing what I think. I love a lot about this album trust me, even with some of these choruses I consider safe, its STILL better than their previous 3 or 4 albums for me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 08:19 PM)

Well they slaved over these songs so I would imagine you get tunnel vision. I do when I work on my own stuff then cant even tell anymore if its actually good. If I get hung up on a part for a while, eventually I convince myself its good because maybe Im too lazy to trash it after so much work.

Its just my opinion. He can disagree of course as can others. Just sharing what I think. I love a lot about this album trust me, even with some of these choruses I consider safe, its STILL better than their previous 3 or 4 albums for me.

Well they have been moving in the right direction since S & A, maybe next time around you'll get you diverse choruses!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 8 2012, 08:37 PM)

Well they have been moving in the right direction since S & A, maybe next time around you'll get you diverse choruses!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Oh trust me I totally agree. This album is a huge step up for me from the kind of 60s flavor of S&A which just wasnt my thing, although I liked some stuff on it like A&S, and Spindrift since it was kind of an oddball song, in the same way I guess Time and Motion is. Monkey Biz is great too of course.

I appreciate anything I can get from them at this point and dont expect them to be willing to just break every wall down and blow me away with some crazy creative choruses, they just arent that kind of band anymore which Im fine with.

It just bugs me to hear songs start off really strong, like Carnies, then fall into the same old normal choruses.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 08:44 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Oh trust me I totally agree. This album is a huge step up for me from the kind of 60s flavor of S&A which just wasnt my thing, although I liked some stuff on it like A&S, and Spindrift since it was kind of an oddball song, in the same way I guess Time and Motion is. Monkey Biz is great too of course.

I appreciate anything I can get from them at this point and dont expect them to be willing to just break every wall down and blow me away with some crazy creative choruses, they just arent that kind of band anymore which Im fine with.

It just bugs me to hear songs start off really strong, like Carnies, then fall into the same old normal choruses.

Well just think they are doing something right since they've hung around for 38 sum years!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 8 2012, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 08:44 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Well just think they are doing something right since they've hung around for 38 sum years!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Well that's the whole thing. It's easy for me to be picky about some things since I'm much younger than them, and Im well aware at their age for them to put out an album like this, its a great accomplishment and I really appreciate that deeply.

But then there's that song writer side of me that listens to it and hear things that could be better. Obviously I havent accomplished what they have of course, but that doesnt mean I still dont know what could be better.

When I hear a song like Halo Effect, I like the beginning and the melodies, then it just dies with the chorus. It just sounds so typical to me. Nothing really epic or special about it. It's just there. I guess considering all theyve done and how late they are in their careers I should see it as good enough, but I cant help but think about how much better it could be if this was all they cared about, like it was when they were younger and willing to put endless effort into making it better. Im sure when Im there age Ill do the same thing they are now.

This song is fantastic - another song with hit potential (my only fear is that this and The Wreckers, while clearly stronger than any material that has been on the radio for years, will not make a dent because of Geddy's voice. His voice is fading fast. This might be the last tour ;_;)

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2012, 07:06 PM)

I didn't see your post before I replied.....but totally agree.