KANSAS...the band

launchpad67a

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jul 27 2006, 07:42 AM)
Listen to Magnum Opus if you're a non-believer. That tune totally kicks butt! I have a guitarist friend that says Kerry Livgren is the man. On their DVD Voice, Device, Drum they utilize animation on "miracles out of nowhere" which has to be seen to be believed. It's like this musical creature that plays all of the parts at once, even drums, in perfect time with the live band. Really creative awesome stuff! Anyone else seen this DVD? It's cool cuz Robbie Steinhardt is back with the band now.

im a huge kansas fan as some of you know. the dvd, "device, voice, drum" is incredible and will make you a fan if your not already. sadly though robby has once again exited the band and has been repaced by david ragsdale who was with the band throughout the 90's and into this century. believe me this guy is no slouch. kansas is currently touring and will play b.b. kings in new york on aug.7th. well worth checking out.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2006, 01:08 AM)
KANSAS...the band, what are your feelings about them?

Complete and utter ambivalence. eh.gif

Sorry goob, had to look it up.

Ambivalence (n)

1 : contradictory emotional or psychological attitudes especially toward a particular person or object and often with one attitude inhibiting the expression of another *a heightened ambivalence which is expressed in behavior by alternating obedience and rebellion, followed by self-reproach G.S.Blum*; specifically : simultaneous attraction toward and repulsion from an object, person, or action *Apache ambivalence in attitude and behavior toward death C.K.Kluckhohn*

2 a : continual oscillation (as between one thing and its opposite) : FLUCTUATION *Thackeray's major novels are vitiated by an ambivalence between satire and sentimentalism J.L.Davis* b : uncertainty as to which approach, attitude, or treatment to follow *the English film T because of a nervous ambivalence toward its subject matter T fails to produce the chuckles John McCarten*

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 27 2006, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jul 27 2006, 07:42 AM)
Listen to Magnum Opus if you're a non-believer. That tune totally kicks butt! I have a guitarist friend that says Kerry Livgren is the man. On their DVD Voice, Device, Drum they utilize animation on "miracles out of nowhere" which has to be seen to be believed. It's like this musical creature that plays all of the parts at once, even drums, in perfect time with the live band. Really creative awesome stuff! Anyone else seen this DVD? It's cool cuz Robbie Steinhardt is back with the band now.

im a huge kansas fan as some of you know. the dvd, "device, voice, drum" is incredible and will make you a fan if your not already. sadly though robby has once again exited the band and has been repaced by david ragsdale who was with the band throughout the 90's and into this century. believe me this guy is no slouch. kansas is currently touring and will play b.b. kings in new york on aug.7th. well worth checking out.

Thanks Tick,

I didn't know Robbie left again. I agree in that Ragsdale cat is damn good, too. Saw him with those guys a couple times in the 90's.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 27 2006, 04:31 AM)

Complete and utter ambivalence.  eh.gif

Ambivalence (n)

1 : contradictory emotional or psychological attitudes especially toward a particular person or object and often with one attitude inhibiting the expression of another *a heightened ambivalence which is expressed in behavior by alternating obedience and rebellion, followed by self-reproach G.S.Blum*; specifically : simultaneous attraction toward and repulsion from an object, person, or action *Apache ambivalence in attitude and behavior toward death C.K.Kluckhohn*

2 a : continual oscillation (as between one thing and its opposite) : FLUCTUATION *Thackeray's major novels are vitiated by an ambivalence between satire and sentimentalism J.L.Davis* b : uncertainty as to which approach, attitude, or treatment to follow *the English film T because of a nervous ambivalence toward its subject matter T fails to produce the chuckles John McCarten*

I guess maybe I've been defining ambivalent wrong for years, as I always though of it as having no feelings towards something or not caring one way or the other - basically, a total lack of interest or preference.

Anyway, you know, the big hits of Kansas to me are just fine. I don't dislike them, nor do I really care about them.

One time I heard their first album and was actually impressed, as it wasn't the pop/vaguely southern rock I knew of them, but while I was impressed, I wasn't inspired enough to pursue them either.

To me they're like Heart on this board. A group I really have nothing against, but can't for the life of me figure out why they have such an enduring and rabid following. confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2006, 10:01 AM)

Ambivalence (n)

I guess maybe I've been defining ambivalent wrong for years, as I always though of it as having no feelings towards something or not caring one way or the other - basically, a total lack of interest or preference.

Anyway, you know, the big hits of Kansas to me are just fine. I don't dislike them, nor do I really care about them.

One time I heard their first album and was actually impressed, as it wasn't the pop/vaguely southern rock I knew of them, but while I was impressed, I wasn't inspired enough to pursue them either.

To me they're like Heart on this board. A group I really have nothing against, but can't for the life of me figure out why they have such an enduring and rabid following. confused13.gif

well goobs, you cant understand becuase you have not delved deep enough to really know their true essence. if you did i think you might feel diferently. kansas is way more then carry on wayward son and dust in the wind. as masked drummer said check out magnum opus then tell me what you think.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 27 2006, 06:21 AM)

Ambivalence (n)

well goobs, you cant understand becuase you have not delved deep enough to really know their true essence. if you did i think you might feel diferently. kansas is way more then carry on wayward son and dust in the wind. as masked drummer said check out magnum opus then tell me what you think.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's hard for me when people suggest new bands for me to listen to, no matter how fanatically they do so. I understand the fanaticism, as I share that with bands I truly love and care about. I just have SOOOO much music that it's hard for me to get excited about checking out other music. I feel pretty musically saturated, and unless it's something I don't have in a genre/time period I'm actively pursuing, someone really has to force it upon me for me to take notice. Even then, if it's outside of the genres/time periods I'm really into, the batting average of me loving something that a person enthusiastically recommends is close to zero. Maybe if I heard some stuff, I'd dig it, but I've probably got over 500 albums I would rather obtain that are higher priority, and even those I'm not pursuing at all right now as I try and catch up with all the music I've obtained in the last several years that I haven't really fully absorbed yet...

ok goobs ya stuborn bastard. angry.gif have it your way. your one of a kind. i just dont know what kind that is yet.

wink.gif

p.s. you have never heard anything i have recomended so as far as im concerned im batting 1.000%

Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 27 2006, 06:55 AM)
ok goobs ya stuborn bastard. angry.gif have it your way. your one of a kind. i just dont know what kind that is yet.

wink.gif

p.s. you have never heard anything i have recomended so as far as im concerned im batting 1.000%

well, my intention has always been, and still is, to listen to all that music when i finally get to oregon as grizz has all that stuff, and i can borrow it from him. i just haven't had the opportunity yet, and it's obviously taking a lot longer to get there than i originally anticipated. i haven't forgotten about it, and i still have a running mental list of bands i must check out. admittedly, i'm not incredibly enthusiastic about loving any of them as people's success in recommending newer music to me usually ends with their great confidence and enthusiasm meeting my brick wall of indifference to the music they're so passionate about, but i still WILL give it a try anyway, and with an open mind. yes.gif

btw, when you find out what "kind" i am, please let me know. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 27 2006, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 27 2006, 06:21 AM)

Ambivalence (n)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's hard for me when people suggest new bands for me to listen to, no matter how fanatically they do so. I understand the fanaticism, as I share that with bands I truly love and care about. I just have SOOOO much music that it's hard for me to get excited about checking out other music. I feel pretty musically saturated, and unless it's something I don't have in a genre/time period I'm actively pursuing, someone really has to force it upon me for me to take notice. Even then, if it's outside of the genres/time periods I'm really into, the batting average of me loving something that a person enthusiastically recommends is close to zero. Maybe if I heard some stuff, I'd dig it, but I've probably got over 500 albums I would rather obtain that are higher priority, and even those I'm not pursuing at all right now as I try and catch up with all the music I've obtained in the last several years that I haven't really fully absorbed yet...

In the time it takes to post all this, Tick or someone could email you Magnum Opus and you could give it the fair shot with a completely open mind. I find the fact that you POST this much about a band like Kansas or Heart, that you claim to have ambivalence about, shows you DON'T have ambivalence at all. I think you are actually a HUGE closet Kansas fan AND Heart fan and for some musical elitist reason... won't admit it. laugh.gif

In OTHER NECROVIEWS... KANSAS FANS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT JAWK JAW IS ALL ABOUT!!!

Right Tick???

Wow! A thread about the most overlooked and underappreciated of my most favorite bands on a forum dedicated to another one of my favorite bands! Woohoo! 653.gif 653.gif biggrin.gif

Kansas to me is more than a band and more than just music- they are the ultimate favorite band of my Dad, so it is impossible for me to listen to them without thinking about him.

Of course, I love the music as well- I have a hard time picking out just one favorite Kansas album. I think, all things considered, Point of Know Return is their best, followed closely (in order) by Somewhere to Elsewhere (their newest album) and Leftoverture. For a "best of" collection, IMHO it would be hard to beat Always Never the Same, on which the band play many of their best songs backed by the London Symphony Orchestra. That album is absolute dynamite.

I sincerely hope they will put out a new album sometime soon- judging by their most recent works they are doing as well now as they were in their heyday in the mid-70's -- possibly even better.

Those Don Kirshner videos are a real teasure for the Kansas fan and are found on the box set collection "Sail On".Interesting and funny interviews as well,the band performed those songs in an empty theater and the crowd was transposed in later,I guess thats how they did those Kirshner presentations.

With reguards to new music,it should happen.Walshs'2005 Shadowman,Greers' 7th Key are evidence that it can happen.The addition of Ragsdale should inject the energy.The prolific Kerry Livgren is always happy to send a song or two over.Make it happen,boys

You're Kansas....Kansas is a band!!

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 2 2006, 10:27 PM)
Hey,Rich Fan....

I love Rich,great sense of humor as I have actually had the chance to briefly talk with him after a couple of shows.He always left the impression on me that it really mattered what the fans had to say.

Agreed. That's one reason I started the site. He is a true gentlemen, and professional. He loves his craft, and really cares about the fans.

He is always up for a video interview. I have done about 4 of them.

Love em!!

The first 10 years...

The John elefante albums...

The Steve Morse albums...

All great...

Anyone heard of Livgren's new band Proto-Kaw? They' re pretty good and worth checking out...

653.gif

Kansas, the fact that their not in the rock n roll hall of fame discredits the hall itself. Back in 1991 I asked Rich Williams what he thought of Rush, his response "Yea, their pretty good" Since it's unlikely I will run into Geddy, Alex, or Neil, I would really like their opinion of Kansas

QUOTE (Scheamer Dreamer @ Aug 4 2006, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2006, 10:31 PM)
Love em!!

The first 10 years...

All great...

Anyone heard of Livgren's new band Proto-Kaw? They' re pretty good and worth checking out...

653.gif

Have it, and love it!

Both of them?

http://www.prog-nose.org/images5/proto_kaw_before.jpg

http://www.prog-nose.org/images7/protokaw_thewaitofglory.jpg

QUOTE (richwilliamsfan @ Aug 5 2006, 12:54 PM)
The first PK CD is awesome....Mask of the Great Deciever is amazing. The second is also very good...

You mean Mask of the Great Deceiver from Kerry's Seeds of Change album from 1980?

QUOTE (richwilliamsfan @ Aug 9 2006, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (richwilliamsfan @ Aug 5 2006, 12:54 PM)
The first PK CD is awesome....Mask of the Great Deciever is amazing. The second is also very good...

OOOPS. I mean Theophany! rofl3.gif unsure.gif oops.gif

I heard a simulcast of a Kansas concert from the AudioVisions tour, and they played "Mask of the Great Deciever" and one of Steve Walsh's solo cuts (I forget the track -- this was 25 years ago!). "Mask" especially sounded great as played by them.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2006, 11:28 PM)
Love em!!

The first 10 years...

All great...

653.gif

Have it, and love it!

Both of them?

Yeah!!!

I've been beating the drum of "Wait Of Glory"since its release early this year.Clearly my favorite new release of 2006,the addition of Jake Livgren to the lineup brings a superb second vocal that elevates this release beyond the highly accomplished " Before Became After"

For a Rush fan awaiting some new music to get into,these Proto-Kaw albums are really a great fit.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 14 2006, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 4 2006, 11:28 PM)
Love em!!

The first 10 years...

All great...

653.gif

Have it, and love it!

Both of them?

Yeah!!!

I've been beating the drum of "Wait Of Glory"since its release early this year.Clearly my favorite new release of 2006,the addition of Jake Livgren to the lineup brings a superb second vocal that elevates this release beyond the highly accomplished " Before Became After"

For a Rush fan awaiting some new music to get into,these Proto-Kaw albums are really a great fit.

im very curious, ive never heard proto kaw. just may have to check it out.

Do check it out,you're gonna really like it(check out the InsideOut label)

As a Kansas fan too,its interesting to learn that this Proto(pre)-Kaw(Kansas)recorded in 71-73 including early Kansas standards" Belexes" and "Incomudro"making the versions that we've always known, remakes.I was struck by how closely the originals mirrored the Kansas versions with the big difference being Walshs' vocal interpretations