16 yo solves equation posed by Isaac Newton

laughedatbytime

Maybe it's just the math geek in me, but WOW!

I'd like to see the kid that beat out this kid for first place in the math and IT contest!

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/345765/2...ny-newton-s.htm

An Indian-origin school boy in Germany, Shouryya Ray, has shocked everyone by solving a 350-year-old mathematical problem which was set by one of the greatest scientists and mathematicians, Sir Isaac Newton.

The 16-year-old boy from Dresden, Germany, has been called "genius" after solving two fundamental particle dynamics theories. Physicists have previously cracked these problems only with the help of powerful computers.

Ray's solutions will now help scientists to calculate the flight path of a thrown ball and also it will help them to predict how it will strike and bounce off a wall, Die Welt newspaper reported.

Ray first came across the problem when his professors said that they were uncrackable during a school trip to Dresden University.

But when he saw the problem he realized that the present method could not get an exact result, and then he decided to solve the problem.

"I just asked myself, 'Why not?'," Ray told the Die Welt paper.

"I didn't believe there couldn't be a solution," he added.

According to the report, Ray was fascinated with maths since an early age. He was inspired by his father, Subhashis Ray, an engineer who works as a research assistant at the Technical University of Freiburg. Ray said that his father began teaching him calculus at the age of six. Ray started solving complicated equations as a six-year-old.

Ray recently won a youth science competition at the state level in Saxony and won second place in the Math and IT section at the national final, Free Republic reported.

Ray who hails from Calcutta arrived in Germany four years ago. When he came to Germany he was not able to speak the German language, but now he is fluent in that language.

His intelligence was quickly noted by his school teachers and was moved up two years in school and at present he is sitting his Abitur exams two years early.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 08:35 PM)
Wow!

This makes me feel so stupid. laugh.gif
I'm the same age as him and I'm taking pre-calculus. He was more advanced than me when he was six! ohmy.gif

If you're sixteen and in pre-calc, don't feel inferior...you're ahead of 99.9% of the kids out there.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ May 29 2012, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 29 2012, 08:35 PM)
Wow!

This makes me feel so stupid. laugh.gif
I'm the same age as him and I'm taking pre-calculus. He was more advanced than me when he was six!  ohmy.gif

If you're sixteen and in pre-calc, don't feel inferior...you're ahead of 99.9% of the kids out there.

OK, so if I'm smarter than 99.9% of the population, but someone else is smarter than 99.99999%, should I feel humiliated?

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ May 29 2012, 09:29 PM)
According to the report, Ray was fascinated with maths since an early age.

Whoever wrote needs to do gooder at English

"maths"??

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 30 2012, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ May 29 2012, 09:29 PM)
According to the report, Ray was fascinated with maths since an early age.

Whoever wrote needs to do gooder at English

"maths"??

Mathematics is a singular noun, and in England, it's shortened to maths. The author, Ankita Mehta, is from England (International Business Times) .

North American English shortens it to math. We Americans just can't get our English right..... wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif