Now that we know CA will likely be a concept album

USB Connector

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 24 2012, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 23 2012, 12:35 PM)
personally i was and still am quite surprised that Rush are dabbling in that concept stuff again, it's all a bit juvenile and pretentious i think, the guys are fundamentally class musicians who done very indeed after leaving all that prog rock storybook sh*t behind

to be honest i'm surprised they didnt become incredibly bored with the project very soon after initially playing with the idea, but i suspect Al & Ged are happy so long as Neil's happy

anyways, it seems Ged at least insisted on each track standing alone for what it is, which is welcome, and the standard of what's been released so far varies from the sublime bu2b to the excellent caravan to the very good Headlong Flight, so i aint complaining, especially after seeing what the band had to say about The Garden and Clockwork Angels etc

like bring it on quick

I hate these, "prog is pretentious" posts.

Rush has been prog all their career my friend. Perhaps not classic prog, but always prog.

All I get from these posts are "I'm pretentious."

I'm not saying prog is pretentious myself, but Rush has never been strictly prog. They had some elements of prog in the 70's and hints of it since then, but they are not a prog band. They've said as much themselves in various interviews.

Saying Rush is prog is like saying Led Zeppelin is heavy metal - a common misconception. Prog is only part of what they've done.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 24 2012, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 23 2012, 12:35 PM)
personally i was and still am quite surprised that Rush are dabbling in that concept stuff again, it's all a bit juvenile and pretentious i think, the guys are fundamentally class musicians who done very indeed after leaving all that prog rock storybook sh*t behind

to be honest i'm surprised they didnt become incredibly bored with the project very soon after initially playing with the idea, but i suspect Al & Ged are happy so long as Neil's happy

anyways, it seems Ged at least insisted on each track standing alone for what it is, which is welcome, and the standard of what's been released so far varies from the sublime bu2b to the excellent caravan to the very good Headlong Flight, so i aint complaining, especially after seeing what the band had to say about The Garden and Clockwork Angels etc

like bring it on quick

I hate these, "prog is pretentious" posts.

Rush has been prog all their career my friend. Perhaps not classic prog, but always prog.

All I get from these posts are "I'm pretentious."

i think the band themselves wouldnt be so quick to pidgeonhole themselves as a purely prog band, and certainly not for their whole careers... yeah they've dabbled, and very successfully too, but the point i was making related to prog STORYBOOK stuff (i think we all know what we're talking about) and yes i tend to agree with you that rush have for the large part been, and still perhaps are, a progressive rock band even if others dont.... it's just that i personally may have been happier if they left the prog STORYBOOK thing behind, but then again i'm not sure really coz i'm happy with whatever rush throw at us

and yeah to be honest, being human, i may very well be pretentious to some extent but cant say i'm ashamed of it, as you seem to infer i should be

but heck you might be the perfect organism here fella and i should just shut up and listen? wink.gif

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2012, 02:24 PM)
I'm getting a very conceptual feeling about this album.  I'm thinking it will have a very concepty vibe. yes.gif

How very articulate. That right there is poetry if I ever saw it. tongue.gif

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 23 2012, 08:31 PM)
I think it'll be interesting because it's not something you hear much these days (unless a lot of bands I don't follow are doing this, and I'm just clueless). I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of reflecting on my own life when I hear it, which is always insightful.

goodpost.gif