Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

QUOTE (KidGloves @ May 18 2012, 06:05 PM)
This sounds fun! I'm listening to the s/t right now. I will probably finish them all in a couple days.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Be sure to post details of where you listened to them, impressions etc!!!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Rush

I never really noticed before how musically similar the songs are to Caress of Steel. Replace all the "Oooh Yeahh"s & "Baby"s with Neil's lyrics and BAM! CoS. This is definitely where it all started.

-5th Order of Angels

Live from Cleveland. Perfect example of how Kick @$$ Geddy really is onstage. He seems more muted now in terms of energy. The way he screams "Four" when counting off the electric part of "In The End" will give you the shivers. Also, Neil's been solo-ing ever since the beginning.

-Fly By Night

Gold. What else can you say.

-Caress of Steel

I can see why they were so proud of this album. They took everything from the first two albums and technically took it up a couple of notches. You can tell they totally let Neil off the chain as well. And, boy, did he go way out of the yard.

Definitely a transition piece. Not quite what was before, not quite what came after.

-All The World's A Stage

Live performance definitely tightened up. 2112. Nuf' Said.

-A Farewell To Kings

-Hemispheres

Should really be one album. They're almost seamless. One big, giant, near-perfect album.

-Permanent Waves

Next transition. Rush discovers pop and in a big way. Still have a few tracks rooted in past albums, but has one foot firmly planted in radio-friendly future.

-Moving Pictures

Don't need to say a D@mn thing about this album.

-Exit, Stage Left

THE live album.

That's as far as I got today. user posted image

[Oh, and I listened to them all day while working today. ...and got one guitar sold. Booyah.]

Edited by ioc

... My wife and I finished off All the World's a Stage last night and moved into A Farewell to Kings. After the raw power of the former, the latter comes at you with a regal subtlety in contrast: the band was definitely coming right out of the shoot with new sounds. It was as if they purposely started the album in such a way as to throw off the beer-guzzling "Working Man" fist -pumpers with some finer, more elegant wine-sipping musical templates.

The title track features classical guitar, new percussive tinklings and what is that? Synths?

But Rush still can rock, but in a cleaner, leaner way -- the energy is focused towards a more progressive mind-set; the energy is coming from a different place emotionally. It's deeper.

I forgot just how much I love Alex's guitar solos on every single one of these songs. The tonality, and the way they sound as if he is playing with a new unique focus -- he was carving out the Lerxst sound, and mixes technical chops with pure abandon - his solos in Cinderella Man and Cygnus are particularly noteworthy.

Then we took a detour to the Hammersmith Odeon and found the band still was a raw powerhouse of frenzied energized hard rock.

Back to that black hole we left before and bam, we are in Hemispheres. This album does sound like a sequel to AFtK - but I noticed the production is slightly better - Terry Brown was learning as well. The synths lay back in the mix more here - they don't shout, hey look at me! Instead they color the songs with a blanket of prog Moog tastiness. Its still about the guitars!

Al was coming into his own here, and was inventing what I call his lead/rhythm style. All around these guys are top notch now. Ten years of playing, starting in the clubs and in bars, and then 4 years with Neil on board were culminating in the tightest sounding rock band on the planet.

Ged's vocals were still high, but not as screamy. And La Villa can still move me. My wife loves Circumstances.

So that's it for now ....

2.gif

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (Animate @ May 17 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ May 17 2012, 12:02 AM)
I plan on listening to and reviewing 1 album a day starting on 5/24 which will put me on target for CA on 6/12.

I don't want to be alarmist or anything.

Have you thought about the consaquences if CA does come out on June 9 in Germany....and is made accessible....

......and you still have to listen to VT, Feedback, and S&A......

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Correction: Release date for Germany is on Friday, June the 8th. So it will be a perfect weekend. wink.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 19 2012, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ May 17 2012, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ May 17 2012, 12:02 AM)
I plan on listening to and reviewing 1 album a day starting on 5/24 which will put me on target for CA on 6/12.

I don't want to be alarmist or anything.

Have you thought about the consaquences if CA does come out on June 9 in Germany....and is made accessible....

......and you still have to listen to VT, Feedback, and S&A......

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Correction: Release date for Germany is on Friday, June the 8th. So it will be a perfect weekend. wink.gif

New date noted!

I'm starting my Rush listening marathon tomorrow.

My intent is to listen to all of the studion and live albums in chronological order.

I just finished my Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick & Led Zeppelin marathons.

This is going to be fun.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

I haven't started yet. blush4.gif Count me in for the second leg?

Sorry! I've been listening to Vapor Trails and Presto almost exclusively the last couple of weeks and I'm still hooked tongue.gif

Yesterday - Just didn't feel like posting all this.

-Signals

What better way to intro the synth period than with Subdivisions. Takes syncopated drumming to new level in this album.

-Grace Under Pressure

Focusing lyrically thematic albums, without the burden of making a concept album with this one. Guitar is thinning out, but still a really nice balance.

-Grace Under Pressure Tour Live

Make sure you have your 3-D glasses. 1/2-D sucks.

-Power Windows

Guitar is beginning to take a backseat to the synths. You can tell Alex is really learning how to utilize his space and providing texture to the songs more than melody. Which indicates the role reversal between guitar/synths. Also the 'Prominent Geddy backup vocals voiceover' era begins ala 'Mystic Rhythms.'

-Hold Your Fire

aka. 'All the Worlds A Synth'. tongue.gif I really think this is a strong album. If it were to be remixed, it would get a lot more respect from the hataz. There do seem to be a disproportionate number of ballads than rockers in this album. Maybe that's why it doesn't get more love. I love it either way. It's close to my heart and one of my favorites.

-A Show of Hands

They dropped their old catalog in this album, giving us only Closer To The Heart. But that is as it should be. If you wanted the oldies, you should have been there live. New Songs Live Good!

That was all for yesterday.

Off to a slow start today. Only finished Presto so far and am into Roll the Bones. I'll give impressions of what I finish later.

Edited by ioc

Today's listens...

Rush - Rush

Rush - Fly By Night

Rush - Caress of Steel

Rush - 2112

Rush - All the World's A Stage

...I listened to them all in the entirety without interruptions.

Does that mean I ahve 50 points so far? 653.gif

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Only listened to 2 albums today. Just too busy.

-Presto

So many strong tracks. I think Neil really is lyrically at the top of his game on this album. Al picks up an acoustic again. Nice. The whole band's playing is so tight, it's just a pleasure to listen to.

-Roll The Bones

Seems like they were going for 'radio friendly' on this album. And Neil was really, really sticking with the 'chance' theme. Fewer strong tracks than most of their other albums. I'm beginning to hear a lot of uncertainty in their 'sound.'

These two albums I consider transitional. I don't know that they got the right kind of direction from Rupert Hine. I love these albums but wonder if they are everything they could have been.

QUOTE (Animate @ May 18 2012, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 18 2012, 05:24 AM)
Last album for today, Hemispheres. La villa is the best thing on it, yesterday as today. Listening to Book II after 2112 and Lamneth put it in the worst position... it looks like a children lyrics, while Lamneth is university. Too simple? Maybe. Or maybe is Lamneth that was too far from reality, seeing how it was ignored...

Rush 10
FBN 10
COS 10
2112 10
AFTK 10
Hemi 10

Well, of course being from Rome it is only natural that you would prefer "Bacchus Plateau" to Dionysus!

I'm swimming in the tide pools... what a masterpiece! My favourite album, probably better than MP. Reading CA reviews, and now listening to PeW, I understand. Nick was not looking at MP, but at PeW. In this album there are all kind of Rushisms... while MP is more coherent, PeW is a demostration of versatility... I imagine CA songs "different than Rush" as Different strings... back to PeW, Entre nous is my favourite lyrics of their discography... but every song on it scream "look at me!". Greaaaaaaaaaaaat! :-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

Dionysus and Bacchus... great challenge trink39.gif

I just ended moving some picture... wow. How can I have said that PeW is better? Probably it's only different. But nothing can challenge MP. They're different albums, but there's something in MP that is legend. It's like a perfect clockwork... ahem, I said clockwork? ;-) Favourite songs of mine... Barchetta is fantastic, YYZ and TS is overplayed, Limelight is their manifesto. Vital signs maybe is the one I'm pleased more on this listening...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 21 2012, 04:24 AM)
I just ended moving some picture... wow. How can I have said that PeW is better? Probably it's only different. But nothing can challenge MP. They're different albums, but there's something in MP that is legend. It's like a perfect clockwork... ahem, I said clockwork? ;-) Favourite songs of mine... Barchetta is fantastic, YYZ and TS is overplayed, Limelight is their manifesto. Vital signs maybe is the one I'm pleased more on this listening...

I feel the same way- it is popular to down play MP, and especially TS, but really it is just an amazing album.

Xanadu: Quintessential Rush

Tom Sawyer: Iconic Rush

Limelight: THE Rush Manifesto

Hearts and minds united again between my wife and me yesterday as we knocked out Grace under Pressure -- my wife agreed with my assessment that Grace was indeed a refocusing of the band's new direction; the guitars and synths are more balanced than on Signals.

However, I find Signals to be the better album -- there is more life and energy on Signals. Grace's production is generic and flat. Plus, the songs on Signals are superior. I love The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric... But they don't surpass most of the songs on Signals. Part of this is due to the fact that Peter Henderson did nothing to further Rush's sonic developments on Grace, and I think it speaks to his weakness as a Rush producer when we listened to the GuP live CD. All of the Grace songs came alive! Energetic performances outshine the studio versions every time.

Then my wife told me that she felt Grace was a better album than Signals, and she didn't have a problem with the production -- the very fact that the guitars were more balanced with the synths was a deciding factor over Signals. So there you go! :-)

We did agree that the band had never sounded better than they did on the Grace live CD. On fire!

(I love that concert and watch it regularly when I get in a Rush mood but it was nice to just listen - it helped me to forget the fashion-victim atrocities on display that night in 1984!)

Then it was on to Power Windows. Man, what a sonic advancement this was! The Rush angularity was still there, but was channeled through the Trevor Horn inspired layering of synths punctuated by bursts of guitar. Al was finding new places to layer his guitar (he had to really cause those synths are all over the place) and they created one of the most satisfying albums of the period. It's alive and is bright, upbeat and still holds up well considering its "one of those 80's albums". Electronic percussion abounds. Miles above Grace.

My wife doesn't agree. She feels that of all the synth era albums, Grace is the closest to where the band were after MP.

So there you go again! :-)

This was followed by what could the sequel to PoW, Hold Your Fire. A little less angular, more rounded, softer, a little more in the middle, I can see this as the nader of the Rush catalogue. However, the playing and composition on display reveals yet another surge forward in the band's maturity.

Still "progressive" in the truest sense of the word, moving forward, with nice tunes such as Time Stand Still, Force Ten (my wife and I feel this is the best track on the album), Turn the Page and Mission.

I would add Second Nature and Prime Mover to that list of faves. She liked Open Secrets. We both wrinkled our noses and frowned at the misguided Tai-Shan and filler blandness of High Water.

This band was still surging forward, yep and to prove that point, they released a live album, A Show of Hands, which showcased those synth years over their past, with only one pre-synth era track from the 80's, Witch Hunt, and only one track from the 70's, Closer to the Heart. No Tom Sawyer, no Spirit of Radio, no Working Man.

And since the band had gone on hiatus after Hold Your Fire to consider their futures, my wife and I used that as a stopping point for the weekend.

My assessment? It almost looked at the time as if Rush had reached the end of the developemental road, and if they had split up then, I think it would have seemed the logical step. I think they really weren't sure what to do really. "Where do we go from here?"

We plan to resume our listening Tuesday night with Presto.

2.gif

Doing the countdown... Signals is amazing, after MP! It's not one of my favourites, but I enjoyed it this time. Subdivisions make me happy of not being a fan in my teens, because the video is a little depressing... also if very true. Analog kid is the crying of depaupered Alex, I love it. Losing it has great lyrics... New world man, I hope to see it live :-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

I'm between the wheels. The more fascinating song on the album. The first side (great memories!) is really good, while the second is in my opinion weak. I love Afterimage and Enemy within... not my favourite album, but more than Signals ;-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

Monday's listens,

Rush - A Farewell to Kings

Rush - Hemispheres

Rush - Permanent Waves

Rush - Moving Pictures

Rush - Exit Stage Left

Rush - Signals

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

Rush - Grace Under Pressure 1984 Tour

...all in their entirety, without breaks.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Ha, I'm lagging behind - got four songs into Rush today. Finding My Way brought back memories of how I played that for my Led Zeppelin-loving boyfriend to try to hook him on Rush after he wasn't too enthused with our first show. He did agree there were similarities.

Need Some Love and Take a Friend (and In The Mood will be this way too) are definitely more focused on love/social life than Rush would be in the future, but it's nice to have this type of song, because they wouldn't really revisit the topic until Counterparts (well, maybe a little in Tears, Entre Nous, and Open Secrets).

Here Again...now here is the "holy cow" song. This one, to me, has greatness written all over it, and Ged's vocals, Alex's solo, the song's length, and more poetic lyrics hint at just what's to come. It touches upon the other big topic of the debut - the band dealing with their foray into the rock world. The lyrics have an incredible maturity and insight for a band that hasn't been at it that long, suggesting that they're only going to have more mind-blowing things to say as their career moves forward and welcomes a lyricist who can take these beginnings even further.

Edited by 1 of the 7