911?

friendlyfloridian

http://lolpics.se/pics/3484.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:17 AM)
It's not 9:11. It's 9:12, which, on a 24-hour clock, is 21:12. It's an in-joke.

How in the world can u tell the difference?

because he knows EVERYTHING z7shysterical.gif

Man, that hurts. That really hurts. Your opinion means the world to me, and you jump into the thread just to insult me? I'm not going to sleep well tonight, that's for sure.

In other words: F you.

Right back at ya, go write a meaningless blog about it moon.gif

Nobody would want to read it if your name was anywhere near it. Much like your posts on this forum.

You came into this thread for the sole purpose of taking a cheap (and painfully unclever) shot at me. This little back and forth you started? I can keep this up all day. Feel free to keep it personal, I've got plenty of time.

I guess you do, when you don;t do F all, rofl3.gif

Horrific grammar and punctuation aside, you're suggesting that the reason I have plenty of time to respond to you is because I don't do anything otherwise?

I'm a terrific multi-tasker. Checking in here doesn't take more than a few minutes in between rendering videos, uploading to YouTube and preparing for a conference that I'm speaking at next week. Surely you don't think that my day is nothing but staring off into space waiting for the next gem to fall out of your mouth? You probably do think that... which is one more reason you can't be taken seriously.

Side note: it takes two to tango. Insulting me by suggesting that I'm wasting time here merely highlights the fact that you're doing the exact same thing. Are you wasting your time? Do you not have anything better to do? Insult me on this and you insult yourself.

Zippy the pin head comes to mind icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 11 2012, 12:38 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Right back at you. I have the same right to my opinion as yours. I am not the one trashing you for your beliefs. But whoa I come on here asking for some opinions and I get trashed. Not good. You would have thought I started a religious debate. wacko.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 02:10 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Right back at you. I have the same right to my opinion as yours. I am not the one trashing you for your beliefs. But whoa I come on here asking for some opinions and I get trashed. Not good. You would have thought I started a religious debate. wacko.gif

In all reality - there is no debate. You made a poor observation. oops

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 01:10 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Now it's your turn to "Slow down there partner". You started a thread with a question and it was answered twice before you came back with (essentially) "I don't believe you, it must be 9:11 and I'm disappointed the band didn't consider my feelings before making this the album cover".

You got your answer. You should have let it go at that. If you didn't really want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question. Nobody trashed you until you started ranting about how nobody else has been through what you've been through and how insensitive the band is because of an image that you don't understand.

Quick to judge indeed...

I do think people jumped you a little heavily and didn't really understand what you were trying to say.

What I got from it was that while it is 9:12, it is kind of ambiguous as it is hands on a clock and without knowledge that its a reference to 21:12, one might mistake it for being 9:11.

Where I think you fell off the wagon a little bit is when you said that it was "in bad taste". Saying its in bad taste means that Rush meant to be offensive with this cover and meant to invoke feelings about 9/11. This is almost certainly not true.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 08:25 AM)
Still to me it looks like 9:11. It is only 1 minute away from that. I am kinda surprised the guys didn't consider that. I had a friend that died on the flight that hit tower 2.

Oh well...

Then respectfully, I would suggest that you have too much of an emotional frame of mind and you're seeing things that aren't there.

Yes I agree however I am not THAT off base because look, even if 9:12 IS the intention, it sure is close to 911. That's all I am saying.

It's also close to 9:13 so its being close to 9:11 is irrelevant.

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 12:53 PM)
Zippy the pin head comes to mind icon_really_happy_guy.gif

That's just... really? That's all you've got in you? Hell, at least when GeminiRising has a go at me he puts some thought into it. When I went round and round with tick many months ago, it was a challenge. You... it's like you're not even trying.

If there was any ever a reference to 9-11, it was on and in Vapor Trails. When that album came out, people said that the two black stripes represented the twin towers, especially when turned it 90 degrees, with the fireball coming down from the sky. And a vapor trail being from an airplane. Representational art, as it were. Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2012, 02:22 PM)
If there was any ever a reference to 9-11, it was on and in Vapor Trails. When that album came out, people said that the two black stripes represented the twin towers, especially when turned it 90 degrees, with the fireball coming down from the sky. Representational art, as it were.

This is interesting, especially since Vapor Trails are left behind an airplane.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 11 2012, 03:24 PM)
If there was any ever a reference to 9-11, it was on and in Vapor Trails. When that album came out, people said that the two black stripes represented the twin towers, especially when turned it 90 degrees, with the fireball coming down from the sky. Representational art, as it were.

Yep, and it was the album to come right after it happened.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2012, 02:25 PM)

It's pretty compelling. Kind of shocking to me now that the thought never crossed my mind.

And the song Peaceable Kingdom.

"Everything was already written by [september 11, 2001]. The last song that needed to be finished was 'Peaceable Kingdom.' It was already written and slated to be an instrumental song. Paul (co-producer Northfield) said 'You guys are nuts if you make this an instrumental song. You should really come up with some good lyrics for this'. Neil gave it some thought, and what happened on September 11, that was really a direct result of that. I think he wrote the lyrics the following week. I'm glad it wasn't an instrumental. It is my favourite song on the record. It has such a weird character to it. Lyrically I think it is great. The chorus, ('a wave toward the clearing sky ...'), it is so powerful and visual. It is such a great contrast from the heaviness of the rest of the song." - Alex Lifeson, Jam! Showbiz, May 5, 2002

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ May 11 2012, 12:53 PM)
Zippy the pin head comes to mind        icon_really_happy_guy.gif

That's just... really? That's all you've got in you? Hell, at least when GeminiRising has a go at me he puts some thought into it. When I went round and round with tick many months ago, it was a challenge. You... it's like you're not even trying.

Seems like you have a knack of getting under people's skin. Do you come by that naturally, or did you have to learn the craft? Perhaps you can discuss this with the throngs of followers at your next convention.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 11 2012, 03:29 PM)

And the song Peaceable Kingdom.

"Everything was already written by [september 11, 2001]. The last song that needed to be finished was 'Peaceable Kingdom.' It was already written and slated to be an instrumental song. Paul (co-producer Northfield) said 'You guys are nuts if you make this an instrumental song. You should really come up with some good lyrics for this'. Neil gave it some thought, and what happened on September 11, that was really a direct result of that. I think he wrote the lyrics the following week. I'm glad it wasn't an instrumental. It is my favourite song on the record. It has such a weird character to it. Lyrically I think it is great. The chorus, ('a wave toward the clearing sky ...'), it is so powerful and visual. It is such a great contrast from the heaviness of the rest of the song." - Alex Lifeson, Jam! Showbiz, May 5, 2002

somebody verify this is possible, but I know that originally, Peaceable Kingdom was an instrumental, but they added lyrics because of 9-11.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 11 2012, 03:29 PM)

Wow...interesting.

To me, it's easily my least favourite song on VT.

On that note, since Vapor Trails has already referenced 9-11, it's highly unlikely that the clock on Clockwork Angels is referencing 9-11 again.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 11 2012, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 11 2012, 01:10 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

Now it's your turn to "Slow down there partner". You started a thread with a question and it was answered twice before you came back with (essentially) "I don't believe you, it must be 9:11 and I'm disappointed the band didn't consider my feelings before making this the album cover".

You got your answer. You should have let it go at that. If you didn't really want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question. Nobody trashed you until you started ranting about how nobody else has been through what you've been through and how insensitive the band is because of an image that you don't understand.

+1

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 11 2012, 03:21 PM)
Quick to judge indeed...

I do think people jumped you a little heavily and didn't really understand what you were trying to say.

What I got from it was that while it is 9:12, it is kind of ambiguous as it is hands on a clock and without knowledge that its a reference to 21:12, one might mistake it for being 9:11.

Where I think you fell off the wagon a little bit is when you said that it was "in bad taste". Saying its in bad taste means that Rush meant to be offensive with this cover and meant to invoke feelings about 9/11. This is almost certainly not true.

Agreed. I don't think that Rush did it intentionally but I still think it is a close resemblance to 911 and in bad taste.