50 years of "The Beatles"

The Owl

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 18 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 17 2012, 11:32 PM)
I like The Beatles, but they are really overpraised. I really can't listen to a whole album of theirs now without feeling somewhat disappointed. The only albums I still listen to on a semi-regular basis are Abbey Road, Let it Be, and With the Beatles. Looking back at the era, 50 years later, I think they just came along at the right time, at the right place, with the right looks and lyrics to win over all the girls they could. Shame what happened to them, though.

All I can say is, you had to have been alive at the time

to really understand the impact The Beatles had

on everything in society,musically or otherwise.

The young people of today can't really connect the dots

about it all,but the Beatles were something NEW,

that society had never experienced before...

Even bigger than Elvis-mania, almost 10 yrs. earlier.

They took this country by storm! teenage girl's

were dropin' like flies at their live gig's, from

euphoria..it was unreal..Beatle-mania was unreal.

No other band created so much craziness wherever

they went, like the beatles..they literally had an army

of fanatics, that followed them to the ends of the earth!!

Like I said, you had to have been there, to really know the impact.

...Listening to the tune's after the fact, only tells a quarter of the story.

I don't think you had to be alive at the time to appreciate the Beatles. I was born in 1995.

The Beatles were the first band I ever liked.

Whew... I found The Beatles thread. I wanted it for post number 910. The one after 909.

There was some interesting old footage of the Fab Four on BBC America earlier this week. It was a very different time.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 18 2012, 02:32 AM)
I like The Beatles, but they are really overpraised. I really can't listen to a whole album of theirs now without feeling somewhat disappointed. The only albums I still listen to on a semi-regular basis are Abbey Road, Let it Be, and With the Beatles. Looking back at the era, 50 years later, I think they just came along at the right time, at the right place, with the right looks and lyrics to win over all the girls they could. Shame what happened to them, though.

Then why do you think that in 2009, the re-release of their catalog was by the far the biggest event in the music industry that year? Why do you suppose so many artists, even those born after the Beatles stopped recording together, list them among their biggest influences and cover their songs?

Coming along at the right time would have explained their popularity in 1963. It doesn't explain their continued popularity in 2012. Listen to Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper back to back. Those albums are separated by two years.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 12:47 PM)
I don't think you had to be alive at the time to appreciate the Beatles. I was born in 1995.

The Beatles were the first band I ever liked.

Obviously you were born with excellent taste. trink39.gif

argh..should have pressed read first unread.

Today? Really? Wow. I remember it vividly. I woke up that morning with the chicken pox and WNBC kept playing Lennon songs.

All you need is love.

:rose:

Edited by CygnusGal