THEY CAME AND went.

softfilter

I always found bands that i liked who might of had one hit but still made consistent good albums only for a short time span. I'm sure you you have some,like to hear what they are or were? A few that i'm still fond of . NEW ENGLAND Infectious melodies though some what cheesy lyrical content. ICICLE WORKS Remember whisper to a scream? The Connells they might be still plodding along there albums boylan heights and one simple word never get tired of. CACTUS WORLD NEWS good U2 imitation or as Rolling Stone magazine called them U3. The LONG RYDERS gritty LA band had a late sixties psychedelic country and punk sound hard to pull off but they did! I can think of others but i'd like to hear from you! smile.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got really into some of the bands of the 90's that (imo) were awesome and should have done more. The biggest that come to mind at this moment, is Brother Cane. I'm a huge fan. Another is Tonic. Many would argue that these guys were just 'run of the mill' bands which could not be distinguished from any other... but I heard more in their recordings. Much more.

I just thought of another one. These guys didn't aim to do any more than one CD -- more of a collaboration/project thing. The Arc Angels. Damn these guys were GOOD. I would have loved to hear what a sophomore effort sounded like.

QUOTE (Varthlokkur @ Jun 3 2005, 08:33 PM)
Listening to the 80's night in the car. Plenty of one hit wonders. Frankie goes to Hollywood "Relax" Some other band. "runaway" "see chameleon, liying there in the sun, all things to everyone. run run away."

That would be Slade.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 3 2005, 09:06 PM)
I got really into some of the bands of the 90's that (imo) were awesome and should have done more.  The biggest that come to mind at this moment, is Brother Cane.  I'm a huge fan.  Another is Tonic.  Many would argue that these guys were just 'run of the mill' bands which could not be distinguished from any other... but I heard more in their recordings.  Much more.

I just thought of another one.  These guys didn't aim to do any more than one CD -- more of a collaboration/project thing.  The Arc Angels.  Damn these guys were GOOD.  I would have loved to hear what a sophomore effort sounded like.

I think Arc Angels could've done more but Bramhall had major drug problems and when he went into rehab the other guys moved on. I've heard they reunited for several shows and it wouldv'e been great if they recorded another album or two. Great album for sure. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

*Sighs* Whatever happened to "The Runaways?"

They were hot... >_>

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 4 2005, 02:47 PM)
*Sighs* Whatever happened to "The Runaways?"

They were hot... >_>

Joan Jett and Lita Ford were born from the Runaways. I have their first (maybe only confused13.gif ) album on vinyl. I think the first song was called Cherry Bomb or something. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 4 2005, 07:12 AM)
Listening to the 80's night in the car.  Plenty of one hit wonders.  Frankie goes to Hollywood "Relax"  Some other band.  "runaway"  "see chameleon, liying there in the sun, all things to everyone. run run away."

That would be Slade.

If you are talking about Slade, you're obviously not British as, during the 1970s, they were one of the most sucessful bands of their time.

Between June 1971 and November 1984 they had a total of 22 top 20 singles in the UK, 16 of which made the top 10 and 6 hitting no 1.

I don't think you can call them one hit wonders or even having a short shelf life by any stretch of the imagination.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jun 4 2005, 08:03 PM)
Listening to the 80's night in the car.  Plenty of one hit wonders.  Frankie goes to Hollywood "Relax"  Some other band.  "runaway"  "see chameleon, liying there in the sun, all things to everyone. run run away."

That would be Slade.

If you are talking about Slade, you're obviously not British as, during the 1970s, they were one of the most sucessful bands of their time.

Between June 1971 and November 1984 they had a total of 22 top 20 singles in the UK, 16 of which made the top 10 and 6 hitting no 1.

I don't think you can call them one hit wonders or even having a short shelf life by any stretch of the imagination.

and Noddy's even making adverts too! laugh.gif albeit a bit tacky sarcasm.gif

and incidentally, Frankie Goes to Hollywood had more than one hit here

I always think its a bit strange seeing the American one-hit wonders thing that VH-1 does - when you've got people like Suzi Quatro, Spandau Ballet, FGTH, etc , who, at times, dominated the UK charts, classed as one hit wonders.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jun 4 2005, 03:45 PM)
I always think its a bit strange seeing the American one-hit wonders thing that VH-1 does - when you've got people like Suzi Quatro, Spandau Ballet, FGTH, etc , who, at times, dominated the UK charts, classed as one hit wonders.

And in some cases, even one was too many.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 4 2005, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jun 4 2005, 03:45 PM)

And in some cases, even one was too many.

How do you think we feel having to put up with years of them 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 3 2005, 10:06 PM)
I got really into some of the bands of the 90's that (imo) were awesome and should have done more. The biggest that come to mind at this moment, is Brother Cane.

Brother cane played in the same bar I did in Dayton. I went to see them play and they sounded so damn good. Me and my buddy went out to smoke a J and the singers girlfriend asked us where we were going and she followed us out and we torched a couple phatties down with her. They seemed like cool people so it's all good.

GOT NO SHAME!!!!

QUOTE (Indica @ Jun 4 2005, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 3 2005, 10:06 PM)
I got really into some of the bands of the 90's that (imo) were awesome and should have done more.  The biggest that come to mind at this moment, is Brother Cane.

Brother cane played in the same bar I did in Dayton. I went to see them play and they sounded so damn good. Me and my buddy went out to smoke a J and the singers girlfriend asked us where we were going and she followed us out and we torched a couple phatties down with her. They seemed like cool people so it's all good.

GOT NO SHAME!!!!

How cool

Got No Shame is such an awesome tune. Now it's blaring in my head - which is not a bad thing, at all.

I wonder if they are still around. I'd love to hear them play live.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jun 4 2005, 02:03 PM)

That would be Slade.

I am well aware how successful Slade was in the 70's..Just pointing out who Varthlokkur was referring to..."Runaway" and "My Oh My" were probably the only Slade tunes most North Americans were exosed to in the '80's as well as the Quiet Riot covers of "Cum On Feel the Noize" and"Mama Were All Crazee Now."

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 5 2005, 03:44 AM)
the Quiet Riot covers of "Cum On Feel the Noize" and"Mama Were All Crazee Now."

For which they shouldbe banished to inner most reaches of hell for crimes against humanity

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 3 2005, 08:36 PM)
Deep Blue Something.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" catchy little number. I do remember them on one of those MTV specials from Aspen Colorado. I thought there other songs they played on that segment were also good! smile.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 5 2005, 12:58 PM)
Deep Blue Something.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" catchy little number. I do remember them on one of those MTV specials from Aspen Colorado. I thought there other songs they played on that segment were also good! smile.gif

Hey,barney do you want to include this on your'e one hit list?

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 6 2005, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 5 2005, 12:58 PM)
Deep Blue Something.

Hey,barney do you want to include this on your'e one hit list?

Never mind, ARNDRAKE ALREADY PUT IT ON LIST, (disagree i thought it was good song!)

^ ^ ^ The Wallflowers still exist and are about to embark on a tour if I'm not mistaken.

City of Caterpillar (2000-2003, one LP, several splits and a demo/live compilation)

Death From Above 1979 (2002-2006, one LP, three EP's, and a remix album)

Drive Like Jehu (1990-95, two LP's and an EP)

The Impossibles (1994-98, 2000-02, two LP's, two EP's, one "anthology" compilation)

Joy Division (1976-1980, two LP's plus all the random post-breakup releases)

Jets to Brazil (1997-2003, three LP's)

Minor Threat (1980-83, one LP, three EP's, "complete discography" compilation)

Nick Drake (1969-1972, three LP's and millions of random compilations/appearances)

Rodan (1992-95, one LP, one EP)

Sea Level (1976-1981, three LP's)

Slint (1986-1992, 2005, 2007, two LP's, one EP)

Test Icicles (2004-2006, one LP, random singles and demos)

There you have it.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 10 2007, 12:50 PM)
^ ^ ^ The Wallflowers still exist and are about to embark on a tour if I'm not mistaken.

City of Caterpillar (2000-2003, one LP, several splits and a demo/live compilation)
Death From Above 1979 (2002-2006, one LP, three EP's, and a remix album)
Drive Like Jehu (1990-95, two LP's and an EP)
The Impossibles (1994-98, 2000-02, two LP's, two EP's, one "anthology" compilation)
Joy Division (1976-1980, two LP's plus all the random post-breakup releases)
Jets to Brazil (1997-2003, three LP's)
Minor Threat (1980-83, one LP, three EP's, "complete discography" compilation)
Nick Drake (1969-1972, three LP's and millions of random compilations/appearances)
Rodan (1992-95, one LP, one EP)
Sea Level (1976-1981, three LP's)
Slint (1986-1992, 2005, 2007, two LP's, one EP)
Test Icicles (2004-2006, one LP, random singles and demos)

There you have it.

yep.

in my mind they haven't done anything since their "Bringing Down the Horse" album. But thats just me.

Archived