The Far Cry music video

Ventris

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 6 2012, 09:45 PM)
Its better than the Superconductor video
Its better than the Time Stand Still video

... shall I continue?

smile.gif

What?? Did not like this one at all and Superconductor did nothing for me but Time Stand Still?? That was one of their better video's. Better than Mystic Rhythm's and on the same level as Big Money and Distant Early Warning.

Of course, none of them can match up with the Subdivisions video.

That probably my fav Rush video.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 8 2012, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Mar 6 2012, 10:18 PM)
I love the song but dont like the video at all. As a matter of fact, I dont like any of their in-concert videos either.

Got to agree. Don't care for their in concert videos. Nor did I really like this one.

the videos where they act i'm getting sick of. i really hope there are less videos on the next show and if they have to act out a few, let them be super short.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Mar 8 2012, 12:51 AM)
It's just Geddy-impersonator sitting at a desk and stuff? Then sometimes clips from their career. Then the last 30 seconds, and most climatic part of the song, is awkwardly represented in the video with a paper car that's driving... nowhere... on a loop?

Sorry, don't get it.

To me, it suggests that the song is a look back on their career. Maybe the car doesn't really end up anywhere because they haven't decided the particulars of how it'll end?

I remember when the Tom Sawyer video from ESL was in rotation on MTV when I was a kid. That video made me a fan, so I'll always be fond of it. I just remember how different Rush seemed from the other groups I watched on MTV. I was intrigued by them, and impressed by Peart's massive drum kit. I used to craft imaginary drum sets out of Lincoln Log boxes in my bedroom and pretend I was Neil Peart. I didn't know his name, but I thought he was cool because he had so many drums.

I also love the Subdivisions video. And I'm a big fan of the Limelight video because I like seeing the band tracking in the studio.

My girlfriend's cousin directed the video for The Pass. So I'm biased toward that one as well.

Beyond that, I'm not a big fan of their videos. I can't get into this video for Far Cry.

Oh, I also remember when the Distant Early Warning video made it's "World Premiere" on MTV and they made a special clip out of it, including a Veejay's introduction.

Takes me back. Sorry for rambling...

When I think of cheesy Rush videos, Time Stand Still and Distant Early Warning spring to mind. DEW sticks in my craw everytime I see RED ELERT sprawled across the screen in GREEN font ... um... unsure.gif

I like the performance videos like La Villa, Limelight, etc -- I would much rather watch Rush play than pretend to be actors like a lot of artists.

At the top of the heap for me as their best would be The Pass, Mystic Rhythms, Subdivisions, and Driven. These all work cause you get to see the band play and they are sort of part of but also seperate from the rest of the video. The band doesnt act within the "plots" of the videos, but they are still well made and well constructed.

One thing I have never understood - why no videos for the Permanent Waves album?? Everytime I watch Chronicles its like this missing gap of time jumping from The Trees to Limelight. Wish they had made a video for TSOR or Freewill.

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (JackRelax @ Mar 6 2012, 07:53 PM)
but then there are videos like Driven, which are actually visual masterpieces. They are pretty hit or miss on videos. I wish they put more effort into them consistently. i LOVE rush videos.

Yes, that's true. Maybe it's their choice of directors or maybe someone at the record company has too much input on videos. I really wish they'd find a great director and produce a really good video. I do like some of the ones they did (Big Money, Lock and Key, Driven, The Pass) but the hit & miss nature that this poster brings up is hard to deal with.