high speed computers help

circumstantial tree

I'm looking to get a new computer. I need one. What determines the computer speed? Should I get one with 8GB of memory? What about a processor?

I'm looking at Dell since their track record is so good. The computer I now have is a Dell and I bought it at the end of 2002 and only now is it "breaking".

I need a computer that can handle stuff like photoshop, illustrator, AutoCad, etc...

I don't know what to shop for. Please help!

IMO Dell is a little overpriced when you can get reliable hardware cheaper from HP

Based on your needs, not that much muscle would be required. I recommend a quad-core system (dont worry abour it being intel or not, AMD processors are practically identical at less $) with 4GB of RAM. I dont have enough info to assess your hard drive needs, but based on your previous PC, a simple 500GB drive should be fine.

If money is no object, spend a little bit more for a 640, 750, or even 1TB drive.

For graphics, no one brand is better than any other, but capabilities must be paramount. For things like photoshop, a GPU with 1GB should be more than enough.

Hope that helped new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I disagree with the assessment that not a lot of muscle would be required. Photoshop an AutoCad are two of the most system straining programs around (on the consumer level).

Drives aren't that expensive. You can get a 1TB drive for under a hundred bucks and the 2TB drives aren't that bad, either.

RAM, yes... as much as you can reasonably afford. Almost whatever you choose for a modern processor will be good for your needs (but don't skimp too much), but the amount of RAM you plug in will make a tremendous difference, especially since you're a Photoshop user. Pro tip: RAM is so easy to install a monkey can do it. Compare prices from whoever you get the system from (Dell, HP, whatever) to independent RAM vendors. If you can get it significantly cheaper, get it from a third party and install it yourself.

If you want to get into a new computer that will last you ten years like the old one did, invest in a high end graphics card. True, it'll be obsolete by next week (as the saying goes), but in practice, if you start with something new(ish) now, it'll last quite a long time.

You can save money by not upgrading the sound card. Unless you're setting up a home theater for this thing, just go with whatever sound card the manufacturer wants to put in by default (or even downgrade, if that's an option that will save you money). Any modern sound card will make basic audio listening a pleasant experience. You only need to go with a high-end card if you have high-end needs.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 18 2012, 11:58 PM)
I disagree with the assessment that not a lot of muscle would be required. Photoshop an AutoCad are two of the most system straining programs around (on the consumer level).

Drives aren't that expensive. You can get a 1TB drive for under a hundred bucks and the 2TB drives aren't that bad, either.

RAM, yes... as much as you can reasonably afford. Almost whatever you choose for a modern processor will be good for your needs (but don't skimp too much), but the amount of RAM you plug in will make a tremendous difference, especially since you're a Photoshop user. Pro tip: RAM is so easy to install a monkey can do it. Compare prices from whoever you get the system from (Dell, HP, whatever) to independent RAM vendors. If you can get it significantly cheaper, get it from a third party and install it yourself.

If you want to get into a new computer that will last you ten years like the old one did, invest in a high end graphics card. True, it'll be obsolete by next week (as the saying goes), but in practice, if you start with something new(ish) now, it'll last quite a long time.

You can save money by not upgrading the sound card. Unless you're setting up a home theater for this thing, just go with whatever sound card the manufacturer wants to put in by default (or even downgrade, if that's an option that will save you money). Any modern sound card will make basic audio listening a pleasant experience. You only need to go with a high-end card if you have high-end needs.

I agree with Daniel here especially with the RAM issue. It seems a lot of machines these days come with at least 4 GB just make sure whichever machine you buy has a motherboard you can add RAM too. I would be highly surprised if you were not able to add some, but if you are going budget you might run into that issue.

As for the sound card, depending on what you are going to use the machine for, you might not even need one and just go with what the motherboard offers as far as audio out jacks.

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but don't go all out with RAM. Any more than 8GB wouldn't make too much of a difference as many programs don't know what to do with it all. Get a good graphics card so it will last you a long time. Motherboards, just get one with the features you need, nothing too fancy. Sound cards you can skimp a little on unless you need something like multi input recording. Had drive depends on how much you need. Personally I'm happy with half a terrabyte. If you're planning on using windows as the OS get Windows 7, avoid Vista.

Also, the biggest money saver: build it yourself. If you can reuse components from your old computer (Hard Drive, casing, motherboard, RAM) then do it. If you buy the components seperately in store and then assemble it at home you can easily save yourself 100$. There are plenty of youtube videos showing how to assemble a computer safely and efficiently.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Feb 19 2012, 06:31 AM)
As for the sound card, depending on what you are going to use the machine for, you might not even need one and just go with what the motherboard offers as far as audio out jacks.

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of manufacturers will let you downgrade as well as upgrade components when you're customizing the build... if removing the sound card altogether is an option, I'd consider that - assuming it saves money on the build and the motherboard has built-in audio.

I found one on Dell.com yesterday that starts at a base price of $749.00, but it doens't include the monitor or the keyboard in the price, nor does it include the Microsoft Package of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, which I need all three of as well.

I think the model was an XPS 8300 model. There was another of this model that included a blue ray player, but I'm skipping that.

I looked on the Dell website trying to find the best computer for you. I must say that many of these are painfully expensive for what you're getting, but this is the best deal I found:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...d=inspiron-620s

Anything with a better graphics card goes into AlienWare, which is beyond overpriced.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 19 2012, 12:05 PM)
Don't you have the monitor and keyboard/mouse from your current computer? And any software you have will transfer, so if you need Office and you already have it, you don't need their package.

My Microsoft Word has issues opening. You have to open it twice in order to get a file open. Then when you close it, it asks some question about saving as part of a template.

Dell is probably more expensive, but their track record is excellent. When I tell folks that my current Dell computer is ten years old, they can't believe it's lasted this long.

Don't know if HP has that lifespan.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 19 2012, 05:36 PM)
Don't you have the monitor and keyboard/mouse from your current computer? And any software you have will transfer, so if you need Office and you already have it, you don't need their package.

My Microsoft Word has issues opening. You have to open it twice in order to get a file open. Then when you close it, it asks some question about saving as part of a template.

Dell is probably more expensive, but their track record is excellent. When I tell folks that my current Dell computer is ten years old, they can't believe it's lasted this long.

You don't transfer the software that way... all you do is install a fresh copy on the new machine, then use the serial number from the old computer when you activate it. You won't have any issues opening or saving or anything like that on the new one.

The only files you'll transfer over directly are your user files - your Word docs, Excel files, and whatever else.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 19 2012, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 19 2012, 05:36 PM)

You don't transfer the software that way... all you do is install a fresh copy on the new machine, then use the serial number from the old computer when you activate it. You won't have any issues opening or saving or anything like that on the new one.

The only files you'll transfer over directly are your user files - your Word docs, Excel files, and whatever else.

It's an old version of Microsoft anyway. It came with my computer in 2002. I need up to date versions.

I'll chime in here:

*Only Windows 7 (64 bit) will recognize any more than 4GB of RAM. Otherwise, all other Windows 7 OS's only see 4GB.

*4 GB RAM is plenty to run any programs you need, and many at once too!

*Quad Core processor is a must. (at least quad 2.5ghz)

*500GB Hard Drive is plenty. (they are cheap)

*A 1GB Video Card is a must (or more).

*Most good motherboards have a 5.1 Audio Card built-in. Even if they only have a stereo output, that should be fine unless you are running surround sound off your computer, or doing serious audio editing.

*A 19" LCD Monitor is standard and a must.

*Wireless Mouse and Wired Keyboard are a must.

That's all you need. I could build that whole system for under $700 easily.

(edit: just looked at a barebones kit on tigerdirect, with a 6 core processor, 8gigs of ram, 1T hard drive, dvd burner, MB, fans, case, everything except monitor, mouse, keyboard and Win7, $438.)

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Feb 20 2012, 12:44 AM)

You could't be more wrong. 4GB is plenty? You credibility is shot with that statement alone, but then you say that a 500GB drive is plenty as well?? Yeah, maybe if all you ever use is Office and a web browser.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 20 2012, 09:57 AM)

You could't be more wrong. 4GB is plenty? You credibility is shot with that statement alone, but then you say that a 500GB drive is plenty as well?? Yeah, maybe if all you ever use is Office and a web browser.

My "cred is shot" by suggesting reasonable, cost effective solutions? Sorry, but I can assure you that a quad core machine with 4 gigs of ram will run anything, and do it well.

The programs that were mentioned will run fine on 4GB. Sure, 6 or 8 would be great, but to keep the cost down with good performance, 4 is good enough.

I'm running a 2.4ghz Quad w/4GB RAM, and am able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Audition and Vegas 9 ALL AT ONCE, rendering files. Runs fine!!

A 500GB drive is more than enough for the average computer user. Again, to keep costs down this is plenty to start with.

All computers can all be upgraded at any time. Adding more RAM or another hard drive, or even a new cpu is easy.

(edit: Plus, like I said before, Only Win7 64bit will see more than 4 gigs. Most off-the-shelf machines don't come with 64 bit. Hate to be the guy who orders $200 of extra RAM only to realize you can't use it.)

Edited by launchpad67a

Okay, this is some of the stuff we ordered for our Dell Computer. Now for those of you who know computers well, tell me if this is something worth having. I may or may not put photoshop or AutoCAD on it, but will eventually. I just hope this stuff here can handle it!

Inspiron 620 Slimtower, Black Bezel

Inspiron 620s, Intel Core i5-2320 processor(6MB Cache, 3.0GHz)

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2x4GB

Dell USB Entry Keyboard

Dell 18.5 Inch, IN1930F Flat Panel Monitor

AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3

1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM

Black Bezel

Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, No Media

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Feb 20 2012, 01:59 PM)

My "cred is shot" by suggesting reasonable, cost effective solutions? Sorry, but I can assure you that a quad core machine with 4 gigs of ram will run anything, and do it well.

Totally agree with this. 4GB will do just fine.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 4 2012, 10:05 AM)

And Bill Gates once said (supposedly) that 640k of RAM should be enough for anybody.

He's got a 64-bit OS. RAM is cheap. There is NO reason NOT to go with 8GB because it will only make the system BETTER. There's a big difference between a great system and one that is "just fine". You guys are being short-sighted.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 4 2012, 10:37 AM)

And Bill Gates once said (supposedly) that 640k of RAM should be enough for anybody.

He's got a 64-bit OS. RAM is cheap. There is NO reason NOT to go with 8GB because it will only make the system BETTER. There's a big difference between a great system and one that is "just fine". You guys are being short-sighted.

Of course 8GB is better.....but from a cost perspective, 4GB will be more than enough for the OP.....and to say to Launch that his "cred is shot" is pretty ignorant.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 4 2012, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 4 2012, 10:37 AM)

Of course 8GB is better.....but from a cost perspective, 4GB will be more than enough for the OP.....and to say to Launch that his "cred is shot" is pretty ignorant.

And again, I disagree. I use Adobe CS programs as part of my workflow, and 500GB of storage is nowhere near enough when you factor in those plus CAD plus any movies and music you want to keep, plus games - there's a reason computers are shipping with 1TB drives by default these days.

The RAM question has been addressed. The OP didn't say "build me a budget machine", but seemed pretty damned impressed that his last computer lasted 10 years. You want another machine that will take you 10 years, you go with 8 gigs of RAM, unless you want to upgrade later. The cost? Minimal, please. Here's 4GB on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....82%20x%202GB%29

and here's 8GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....82%20x%204GB%29

There's virtually no difference.

But mainly? I was put off by the idea that those amounts should be considered "plenty". As I said originally, if all you're doing is web browsing and office, sure. But if you're a content creator, as the OP seems to be, then no, it's not plenty.

Daniel,

So basically you're saying I am getting what I need? See my last post where I listed components that will come with my Dell computer and give me your input.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 4 2012, 03:15 PM)
Daniel,

So basically you're saying I am getting what I need? See my last post where I listed components that will come with my Dell computer and give me your input.

I think the machine you listed will last you quite a long time smile.gif