NEARFest 2012

Tommy Sawyer

This event looks very interesting. The lineup seems pretty awesome, Anglagard, VdGG, etc.

Anyone been before (or going this year) and can share some info? There doesn't seem to be a general description of the event from the site.

This could be my only opportunity to see VdGG and some other bands live, so I definitely don't want to pass.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 01:31 PM)
I want to go but I'm seeing Marillion the week before so I most likely won't be able to. VDGG is the main reason why I'd want to go, but Peter Hammill said that they should be playing some other US dates (hopefully NYC!).

Where is it, how does this thing work tell me tell me tell me!

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 11 2012, 01:43 PM)
I want to go but I'm seeing Marillion the week before so I most likely won't be able to. VDGG is the main reason why I'd want to go, but Peter Hammill said that they should be playing some other US dates (hopefully NYC!).

Its in Bethlehem, PA. Tickets don't go on sale until next month. Hopefully I can convince my parents to let me go. There's so many great bands playing.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 11 2012, 01:43 PM)

Its in Bethlehem, PA. Tickets don't go on sale until next month. Hopefully I can convince my parents to let me go. There's so many great bands playing.

It's only there? I'm in fricking texas sad.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 11 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 11 2012, 01:43 PM)

It's only there? I'm in fricking texas sad.gif

Yeah, with so many bands it would be hard to schedule the same festival in different cities.

ColdFireYYZ, I hope my parents will let me go too...

Course I don't know who'd take me, it's 10 hours away. sad.gif

And if VdGG is playing some more US dates, that'd be really awesome. Any official announcements?

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 02:13 PM)

And if VdGG is playing some more US dates, that'd be really awesome. Any official announcements?

The only official announcement was on Sofasound.com (Hammill's official website) last month.

Try 24 hours away sad.gif I'd have to go by plane or something...but damn I would love to go.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 02:18 PM)

The only official announcement was on Sofasound.com (Hammill's official website) last month.

Checked it out, hope there is definitely something, from what I hear, they are one of the few 70s bands still worth seeing.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 02:26 PM)

Checked it out, hope there is definitely something, from what I hear, they are one of the few 70s bands still worth seeing.

Too bad David Jackson wasn't with them anymore. I've heard that they're still great without him though. I want to see them before its too late.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 02:29 PM)

Too bad David Jackson wasn't with them anymore. I've heard that they're still great without him though. I want to see them before its too late.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 02:30 PM)

yes.gif

They're my absolute favorite band with rush and genesis.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 11 2012, 03:41 PM)

yes.gif

I don't hold them quite that high, but I definitely want to see them.

Also, Anglagard. biggrin.gif And Renaissance. 1022.gif

Oh, and Eloy, too.

Been listening to all 3 on Grooveshark today. 1022.gif :B

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 11 2012, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 11 2012, 03:41 PM)

yes.gif

Oh, and Eloy, too.

Eloy 062802puke_prv.gif

I have Ocean and I tried to like it. One listen was enough. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 11 2012, 07:59 PM)
Oh shit! going to the NEARFest is the dream of my life... but im stuck here 6000 km away. This is so unfair. Somebody knows if is there any posibility of the NEARFest becoming international?

Won't happen since this is going to be the last NEARfest ever. They had to cancel last year due to poor ticket sales.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 11 2012, 07:59 PM)
Oh shit! going to the NEARFest is the dream of my life... but im stuck here 6000 km away. This is so unfair. Somebody knows if is there any posibility of the NEARFest becoming international?

Won't happen since this is going to be the last NEARfest ever. They had to cancel last year due to poor ticket sales.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 04:00 PM)

yes.gif

Oh, and Eloy, too.

Eloy 062802puke_prv.gif

I have Ocean and I tried to like it. One listen was enough. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

Man, I've tried to get into Eloy. Their album covers are mindblowingly awesome. Unfortunately, the vocals kill what otherwise would be great music. For a similar vibe, though done SO much better, try Nektar. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 12:47 AM)

yes.gif

Oh, and Eloy, too.

Eloy 062802puke_prv.gif

Man, I've tried to get into Eloy. Their album covers are mindblowingly awesome. Unfortunately, the vocals kill what otherwise would be great music. For a similar vibe, though done SO much better, try Nektar. yes.gif

Yeah the vocals just killed it for me.

Nektar is a great band. Remember The Future is the only album that I have by them and its great. It was actually one of the first prog albums that I listened to.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 11 2012, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 12:47 AM)

yes.gif

Oh, and Eloy, too.

Eloy 062802puke_prv.gif

Yeah the vocals just killed it for me.

Nektar is a great band. Remember The Future is the only album that I have by them and its great. It was actually one of the first prog albums that I listened to.

Oh man, then you NEED to get:

A Tab in the Ocean

Journey to the Center of the Eye

Both are truly excellent albums. Recycled is also well worth getting.