NEARFest 2012

Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 5 2012, 11:42 PM)
applaudit.gif Got some in the Grand Tier, $200 each. applaudit.gif

Awesome!! What row are you? That's where I'm going to be! I'm row Q.

T.... Very last row....

The view should still be very good...its a small theater.

Have you listened to Gosta Berlings Saga yet? Their album Glue Works is worth checking out. Also, Il Tempio Delle Clessidre's debut (and only album) is very good as well.

Those are 2 of the 3 I haven't checked out. Now I will have to. yes.gif

Just curious - what's the other band you haven't checked out?

Aranis.

I might have lied, I think there is another one...

Oh, yes 12th Night.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 5 2012, 11:42 PM)
applaudit.gif Got some in the Grand Tier, $200 each. applaudit.gif

Awesome!! What row are you? That's where I'm going to be! I'm row Q.

T.... Very last row....

The view should still be very good...its a small theater.

Have you listened to Gosta Berlings Saga yet? Their album Glue Works is worth checking out. Also, Il Tempio Delle Clessidre's debut (and only album) is very good as well.

Those are 2 of the 3 I haven't checked out. Now I will have to. yes.gif

Just curious - what's the other band you haven't checked out?

Aranis.

I might have lied, I think there is another one...

Oh, yes 12th Night.

I'm not familiar with those 2 either. From what I've heard, Aranis is a chamber rock band so they sound interesting. I've tried finding stuff by Twelfth Night but I haven't been able to come across CD versions of their albums.

I also need to check out Helmet of Gnats. They're a fairly local band and they just played a show 5 minutes from my house but it was 21+.

Listened to some of 'Helmet of Gnats II' today. WOW! 1022.gif On PA they're listed as Jazz Fusion, but I'd say they almost sound like Canterbury or Symphonic in parts. Lots of great Hammond organ.

Definitely check them out CFYYZ 1022.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 11 2012, 02:27 PM)
Ohmygawwwwwwwwwwwwwwd VdGG ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I cannot miss this opportunity. And holy shit with Anglagard?

If Anekdoten was playing, watch out! Great top notch Prog.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 7 2012, 07:24 PM)
Listened to some of 'Helmet of Gnats II' today. WOW! 1022.gif On PA they're listed as Jazz Fusion, but I'd say they almost sound like Canterbury or Symphonic in parts. Lots of great Hammond organ.

Definitely check them out CFYYZ 1022.gif

I will for sure!

Short review so far:

Aranis: very cool band. The lineup includes a pianist, guitarist, double bassist, violinist, accordion player, and a flautist. They played "chamber rock", so it was like classical combined with rock. I knew nothing about them but I was pleasantly surprised.

Van der Graaf Generator: Excellent as expected. They only played 3 old songs - Scorched Earth, Childlike Faith in Childhood's End, and Refugees (second time they ever played it live). This was the 3rd time they've ever played in America and they kicked ass. Peter Hammill's voice was still strong and Hugh Banton and Guy Evans played great as well. The newer songs from Trisector and A Grounding In Numbers worked well live, especially All That Again.

Helmet of Gnats: Killer instrumental fusion band. They're a local band (for me - from CT) but I haven't heard of them before.

Twelfth Night: Neo-prog band from England. They were pretty bad. The lead singer would try to hit the high notes but he strained so much it sounded like he was crying and his voice constantly cracked. People who complain about Geddy should have heard this. The band themselves were alright, even though they had cheesy 80's synths, but the vocals killed it. I'd say 25% of the theater left in the middle of the show.

Anglagard: My favorite so far! They played all instrumental versions of songs from all three albums, including the new one. And they had 2 real Mellotrons on stage. Just an all around great band. The only song from Hybris they played was Jordok, so it was the only one I knew. I loved the other stuff so I bought the other albums.

Renaissance: The only album I have by them is Turn of the Cards, which I really like. Sure enough, they played the album along with Scheherazade and Other Stories, which I hadn't heard before. Both were played extremely well and Annie Haslam's voice was much better live than I expected. I didn't think she'd be that good anymore.

Tomorrow is Il Tempio Delle Clessidre, Gosta Berlings Saga, UK, and Mike Keneally.

Got to meet Roger Deen and I bought a print of the original Octopus cover for him to sign. Also met all the bands. They were all extremely friendly, especially VdGG.

Finally, the people there were great. Got to meet Tommy Sawyer (first TRF'er that I've met in person!). Its too bad this is the last year. sad.gif

Edited by ColdFireYYZ