Rush Sector Boxsets: Worst Ever?

ak2112

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 28 2011, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Dec 26 2011, 07:44 AM)
the problem here is, that iam so wore out of all these recordings. i dont care how good or bad they sound...

goodpost.gif

The thing is...if I were buying these NOW I would buy the 'latest' version....since I have the original CD's and was able to pick up the first remasters through the "CD club" for next to nothing (Columbia House or whatever it was) I got them....the difference between those and the NEW ones isn't enough to get rid of my old remasters...although I did "acquire" copies of the Sectors releases...and I don't think that there's THAT much of a difference to get rid of the LAST batch of remasters confused13.gif

The anal "complete-ists" that HAVE to have everything will be drooling over them...but as far as I'm concerned...not worth tossing out the $$$$ to replace this time.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 28 2011, 09:37 PM)
...although I did "acquire" copies of the Sectors releases...

So you are a thief. I am not one to start judging who is or is not a "true" Rush fan, but stealing their music is absolutely not right.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Dec 29 2011, 12:49 AM)

So you are a thief. I am not one to start judging who is or is not a "true" Rush fan, but stealing their music is absolutely not right.

Because they couldn't possibly be a gift or contest prize? fing.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 29 2011, 10:01 AM)

applaudit.gif Or borrowed? or heard at a friends house, or in his car?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 29 2011, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 29 2011, 10:01 AM)

applaudit.gif Or borrowed? or heard at a friends house, or in his car?

rofl3.gif

In the spirit of By-Tor we should all play nice. No stealing accusations, no Geddy can't sing accusations. All is good, our demented Canadian friends are nearing their 60th birthday and still rocking strong!

2.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 29 2011, 09:03 AM)
Thief? yeah, ok....f**k off asswipe!

I must not be a "TRUE" Rush fan then fing.gif (although I have connections)

Do you even know how the "acquisition" occurred? No, then shut up!

Your knee-jerk, personal attack of a response tells me everything I need to know. If you borrowed them or got them as gift then I stand corrected, but let's face it: these days "acquired" equals downloaded.

I'm surprised so many folks jumped to your defense so quickly. Downloading music without paying for it is stealing. If you don't like the truth don't admit to it in a public forum. Yeah I know, nobody admitted to it, but a bunch of raw nerves seemed to be bugged by the accusation.

Telling me to shut up will get you nowhere.

Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the world....my original "knee jerk" reaction to you stands!

Whether I "acquired" them legally, illicitly, or immorally is not of YOUR concern. YOUR knee jerk personal attack on me is where the problems lie. How do you even know that someone in the band or their management or their record company handed them to me and said "enjoy"?

Maybe YOU need to take a look at what you're doing while you're shutting the hell up! moon.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 30 2011, 09:16 AM)
Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the world....my original "knee jerk" reaction to you stands!

Whether I "acquired" them legally, illicitly, or immorally is not of YOUR concern. YOUR knee jerk personal attack on me is where the problems lie. How do you even know that someone in the band or their management or their record company handed them to me and said "enjoy"?

Maybe YOU need to take a look at what you're doing while you're shutting the hell up! moon.gif

Look, let's be reasonable here. Nobody types "I 'acquired' them" in this situation unless they downloaded them. If they were given to you for Christmas, if they were loaned to you, if Geddy himself gave them to you, you would have said "I was given them". The action is in the word. If someone had given them to you, under whatever circumstance, the word you likely would have chosen would have been a passive word. But if you went and got the sets yourself, you would have chosen, as you did, an active word - and an uncommonly used active word, at that. Acquired is not a word that most people use in common conversation, especially when typing online. Language is fascinating. And what I've said so far is true most of the time, but people use language in all sorts of ways, so I think you would have had an argument if not for the next part:

More importantly, you put acquired in quotes, denoting emphasis and non-literal meaning. It's like putting air-quotes over something when you're talking to someone. You're telling people that you don't really mean the exact word, you're implying something else. In this instance, you're implying that you downloaded the Sector sets because in an online setting, that's the connotation of the quoted "acquired".

Lastly, you said that you "acquired" copies of the Sector sets. Copies. And while that is certainly a valid word (nobody would accuse you of theft for reading a copy of a magazine, for example) when you put it together with the quoted 'acquired', I hope you can see why someone would come to the conclusion that you downloaded the sets. You could have typed "I was given the Sector sets" but instead you typed "I 'acquired' copies of the Sector sets". Can you not see how people might parse that?

Yeah, the YOU'RE A THIEF!!!! response was probably a little over the top and you were justified in having your hackles raised a little bit. Personally, I don't think downloaders are thieves necessarily and it doesn't bother me at all. And I'm not asking for a confession here, either. I do find it a little discrediting that you didn't simply say where the sets came from instead of telling him off. Rather than saying, "dude, chill, they were given to me by my brother for Christmas", you went on the attack yourself. You could have ended this and made drbirdsong look foolish in one post, but you didn't.

Mainly, I'm just thinking that maybe everyone should let this line of conversation go because nobody is looking very good right now.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 30 2011, 10:16 AM)

so

how'd you acquire them?

OK, since some of you are into the semantics of the whole thing (and severely need lives IMHO)....I stole box 2 from a friend and held it hostage until he agreed to loan me box 1...after listening to box two, (mainly AFTK and Hemishpheres) I decided that it wasn't worth it and just gave it back to him and didn't want to hear how the rest sounded because as I said, it ONLY sounds like they cleared up some background hiss, and pushed the bass levels a tad to make sound a little warmer (since people have this woody for "vinyl" and how IT sounds)

NO I didn't copy it because I feel that the difference's in the old remasters to the new remasters aren't worth it, and if I did, I eventually would have purchased the entire set. (and in some cases I don't think the OLD remasters are that much better or different than the original CD releases)

Do SOME of you understand that?

Look, I own over 3,000 CD's some remastered version are worth it, others aren't. Case in point, I'm also a Chicago fan, and purchased some of THEIR remastered discs only to be upset that I wasted the money on them because the remasters WEREN'T in my honest opinion, better than the original CD releases (and no I'm not into the whole "vinyl sounds better" faction, it doesn't, trust me) So when it comes to remasters, I'm VERY skeptical, and call BULLSHIT when people start their "OH MY GOD THESE ARE WONDERFUL" crap!

I choose to borrow or in some cases I HAVE downloaded to see if they are worth the purchase....in this case I am passing! The fact that I own all of the releases from these three boxes in vinyl (in a few cases twice AND Archives), cassette (in a few cases 8-track), and twice on CD is enough for me to have. If they decide to make another remaster, I will do the same thing. but at this point, I don't think they can do anything that will change my mind.

So in case another one of you birdbrains wants to spar with me about this, I consider the matter CLOSED! beathorse.gif

You could have just said, "I borrowed the sets from a friend". And you could have just said "I borrowed them, no big deal" the first time someone called you out on stealing them.

Don't act like you're some sort of victim here. For my part, I wrote what I did because like I said, language is fascinating. You can tell a lot about a person by the words they use and how they use them. I have quite a nice life and don't need to get another one, thank you.

So what are you the resident post analyst? I should be careful what I write because you may find I have an Oedipus complex and wet the bed until I was six. (not only that, I'm slightly anal retentive and have a superiority complex as well) 653.gif

The fact that you are over analyzing peoples posts tells me that the life you lead may not be your own fing.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 30 2011, 01:09 PM)
So what are you the resident post analyst? I should be careful what I write because you may find I have an Oedipus complex and wet the bed until I was six. (not only that, I'm slightly anal retentive and have a superiority complex as well) 653.gif

The fact that you are over analyzing peoples posts tells me that the life you lead may not be your own fing.gif

It's not over-analyzing, it's just analyzing. More accurately though, it's just me making a few observations. I'm not drawing any conclusions about your bed wetting wink.gif And it's not everyone's posts, it's just a couple in this particular thread because I found them interesting.

Don't read too much into it. Language, and the way people use it, interests me. I don't think that there's anything odd about that.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 02:14 PM)
...language, and the way people use it, interests me. I don't think that there's anything odd about that.

indeed - interests me, too

and if you 'analyze' Benny B's lengthy 'I stole box 2 from a friend' post, I'm pretty sure you'll come to the same conclusion as I did (regarding its veracity)

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Dec 30 2011, 01:09 PM)
So what are you the resident post analyst?  I should be careful what I write because you may find I have an Oedipus complex and wet the bed until I was six.  (not only that, I'm slightly anal retentive and have a superiority complex as well)  653.gif

The fact that you are over analyzing peoples posts tells me that the life you lead may not be your own  fing.gif

It's not over-analyzing, it's just analyzing. More accurately though, it's just me making a few observations. I'm not drawing any conclusions about your bed wetting wink.gif And it's not everyone's posts, it's just a couple in this particular thread because I found them interesting.

Don't read too much into it. Language, and the way people use it, interests me. I don't think that there's anything odd about that.

So you sit around analyzing internet chat boards as a pastime? And yet you scoff when I say you need a life?

rofl3.gif

Mein froind you DO need help!

(I also notice you seem to need to get in the last word) Hmmmm...

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 30 2011, 02:14 PM)
Would you both just shut up!

That argument could have been over at least a page ago!

eyesre4.gif

I think I'm being quite reasonable here. I'm answering questions put to me and trying to have a civilized conversation. True, it's off-topic from the thread, but that's the way these things go sometimes.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 03:19 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I think I'm being quite reasonable here. I'm answering questions put to me and trying to have a civilized conversation. True, it's off-topic from the thread, but that's the way these things go sometimes.

I'm not really mad at either of you - it's just that I wasted a lot of time reading your argument! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 30 2011, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 30 2011, 03:19 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I'm not really mad at either of you - it's just that I wasted a lot of time reading your argument! laugh.gif

I wasted a lot of time arguing because someone pretty much treated me as a war criminal, then I was questioned for my motives and actions....

The easy solution would have been for the original person that questioned me to post something like "define acquire" rofl3.gif

(and I would ahve responded "stole 'em" biggrin.gif )