Good drum amps????

USB Connector

So I think after 3 years it's time for me to ditch my 15 watt yamaha guitar amp and use an actual drum amp. Up until now it's been fine but lately we've been getting more serious about playing as a band. The problem: the lack of bass on my amp makes my TD-9 sound like a toy. I know nothing about amps, especially drum amps. I went to my local music store and all they had was an Aleisis amp, which I refuse to buy anything Aleisis due to past experiences.

Before I take the long journey to the largest music store in the city, I would like to know what a good drum amp is and what to look for. I'm looking for a good all-round amp. As of right now I don't have a budget and I'm not sure if I should be looking at 25 or 50 watt range.

Suggestions?

I suggest you purchase real drums.

What about the PA? Roland makes Keyboard amps. Any Keyboard amp will work. Real drums work best though.

popcorn.gif

Hoping to get an electronic kit eventually. Sick of musicians telling me to not play so loud during practice.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 19 2011, 06:30 PM)

Real drums do not fit my needs. I LOVE the fact that I can control the volume on them. The sound and feel are as real as I need the sound. I never have to worry about not having a cymbal or a drum because I can reprogram the brain at will. I can use it as a rock band 3 drum kit where cymbals are charted on every song. I can plug the midi straight into my computer and have a lot of fun messing with input sounds. I can go on....

I don't appreciate the loudness of an acoustic kit at all and neither would the people that live nearby.

PA refers to Public Address System meaning the overall main output system. It can also translate to Power Amplifier but that is a misnomer. What ever your singer sings through is a PA. Generally speaking they are full spectrum which is more ideal for keyboards and vocals. If a keyboard player doesn't use a keyboard amp then he goes through the PA.

Electronic drums are no substitute for real drums. Even for practice/rehearsal. In fact they are counter productive for that application. I speak from personal experience.

I have experience with several Roland TD's, Yamaha, ddrum, Simmons (REAL Simmons, not the Guitar Center recent kits with the Simmons name on them), and even Tama. I use electronic triggers for triggering samples in a live rig but would never use them for a main sound.

I recorded an album a couple years ago with a TD-20 kit, mostly as an experiment and out of necessity for another project. The best thing about it was recording the midi data and cleaning up the performance. Also, we bypassed the sounds in the TD because they sound particularly artificial (though far better than any other brains) and we were triggering Drums From Hell which had far more to offer and with more realism. Still, it sounded artificial.

As for the "Dialing In Sounds" argument; you can waste more time searching for tones than you will ever realize. That adds up to hours & hours of not practicing when you should be.

Also, one band I was playing in rehearsed in the studio of the main songwriter who had a ddrum kit that we used for rehearsal. We recorded everything and ran through his control room monitors. After a few months we rented a space to rehearse for a gig and I brought my real kit. The lead guitar player freaked out because it was so different and ultimately quit. I didn't play any differently but it was decidedly different in the room. But that would have been how we performed. Oh well...

Now the biggest difference is stick response. Rubber pads especially nor mesh heads respond to a stroke the same way as a drum head. Also you are not a drummer if you aren't playing a drum. You're a padder.

Electronic drums are fun. If you want a really nice Rock Band controller then great. That's a great game (one of my favorites) but it's not real.

Rock music is supposed to be loud. If it's too loud you're too old! If you aren't pi$$ing somebody off you're doing it wrong....

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 20 2011, 01:20 AM)
Rock music is supposed to be loud. If it's too loud you're too old! If you aren't pi$$ing somebody off you're doing it wrong....

eyesre4.gif

OK there Mr. Rock Star.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 20 2011, 12:20 AM)
Now the biggest difference is stick response. Rubber pads especially nor mesh heads respond to a stroke the same way as a drum head. Also you are not a drummer if you aren't playing a drum. You're a padder.

[...]

You sound like those snobs I know from the creative arts program. They told me the same thing when I joined the jam session club. Early last year was the first time I had touched a real kit. I must admit I needed a few minutes to get used to the feel of the cymbals, but the drums themselves came 100% naturally. I didn't have to adjust my technique at all. It turns out I'm better than half the drummers there and I'm not in any fancy program, nor had I touched a real kit up until that point.

Now you tell me real drummers use an acoustic kit, I live at the bottom of a duplex. I am a student and I could theoretically get thrown out of my home if I annoy him with an acoustic and the landlord is feeling especially dickish when the lease contract comes to term. My friends and I enjoy playing just the way things are. We know we're not going to be the next Sabbath nor are we even going to try. We play and make music to have fun, not to conform to elitist western standards. When I lived in Europe it was universally considered that if you played an instrument, even partially, you were a __________er/ist. There are no phonies. This whole idea of being a real drummer/guitarist/whatever is a western thing that has spawned within the last 20-30 years. By definition I play drums, therefore I am a real drummer.

Edited by USB Connector

If I were a snob I wouldn't have tried electronic drums at all. On the contrary, I use electronic percussion regularly (as indicated by my experience with several types, makes and manufacturers). Alas, if someone made an electronic kit that responds, lives and breathes like real heads, shells and cymbals I would be first in line for one. Never gonna happen. 3 "zones" on a pad of rubber will never accurately replicate what I can do with a cymbal.

Synthesizers and electronic drums, or V-anything are not the actual thing but an electronic representation of those things. Do we really need a virtual accordion Roland?

If you drop the defensive stance you will see that I am coming from a practical and sonic point of view. I am interested in what sounds good and what works best. Electronic drums raise more problems than they solve. I said that real drums work best. A "real" drummer can play at extremely low volume on an acoustic kit with what we call "dynamics" which are part of music. Get some hot rods or brushes. You will become a better player as a result.

I will be 45 this week and have been a drummer for at least 40 of those years. I have done everything in my power to assure living with my drums sometimes to the detriment of myself and others. I am still here with my drums (living alone for the first time in my life, finally). Crying about bothering neighbors is lost on me because when I was your age I did it. Yeah, it's tough but drums are a central point to my existence and living without them has never been a question. It is one of my main priorities. My question is why would anyone who is serious about drumming consider living in a place that can't accommodate drums? If I can do it anyone can.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless! smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 20 2011, 11:44 PM)
If you drop the defensive stance you will see that I am coming from a practical and sonic point of view. I am interested in what sounds good and what works best. Electronic drums raise more problems than they solve. I said that real drums work best. A "real" drummer can play at extremely low volume on an acoustic kit with what we call "dynamics" which are part of music. Get some hot rods or brushes. You will become a better player as a result.

I will be 45 this week and have been a drummer for at least 40 of those years. I have done everything in my power to assure living with my drums sometimes to the detriment of myself and others. I am still here with my drums (living alone for the first time in my life, finally). Crying about bothering neighbors is lost on me because when I was your age I did it. Yeah, it's tough but drums are a central point to my existence and living without them has never been a question. It is one of my main priorities. My question is why would anyone who is serious about drumming consider living in a place that can't accommodate drums? If I can do it anyone can.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless! smile.gif

What part of "I live in a duplex" don't you get? I would have to use damping pads or brushes ALL the time. I use an acoustic kit during the rock band/jam session club meetings at school and I can control the dynamics and accents of each hit just fine. The problem is that at home I would need to focus on playing so quietly that it just wouldn't be fun anymore. At least Roland allows me to set a max volume, and then I can worry about accents and dynamics within the max limit. Which get this: according to the input chart on the pad I can control how hard I hit it just fine. There are your dynamics. Why don't I live somewhere that can accommodate acoustic drums? Some people call it circumstance and there isn't much about it I can change. Not everyone can just change their lifestyle for a hobby.

The Roland kit fits my needs and I have no complaints about it. I may not be an advanced rock and roller such as yourself, so I do not see the large problems that the electric kit creates. I'm well aware that there are a lot of things that can't be done on an electric kit but there are so many ways to come close to those things that I just don't care. Now will you provide some information or will you continue to lecture me on how I should stop using V-Drums, which would likely result in either draining all the fun out of drumming or getting myself thrown out of my home in order to be able to call myself a real drummer?

You mentioned in the second sentence starting this thread you wanted to get more serious with your band. Serious drummers play real drums.

If you take the time to read what I am writing instead of being defensive I am trying to encourage you to broaden your horizons... Not to mention answering your questions about amplification (Roland Keyboard amp, PA system) which you obviously didn't read out of justifying your current position, which you are seemingly touchy about. Never once have I said not to do one thing or another (not to mention potential jokes considering the title of this thread). Kindly point out where I say "don't do this" and I will recant. Closest I came was electronic drums are no substitute for real drums, which they aren't. I was just elaborating on my years of personal real world experiences with all types of electronic percussion and their inherent limitations.

What part of "why would anyone who's serious about drumming live in a place that can't accommodate drums" can't you comprehend? I never considered living in an apartment personally. When there's a will there's a way.

If you aren't a serious player then fine, enjoy. If you want to be serious then consider playing real drums.

Pick one. cool.gif

Do you want to move forward or stand still? Doesn't matter to me personally. Seems like you want to move forward because you said so at the top of the thread. But your knee jerk comments indicate you may not be. If you want to be serious then be serious but you can't have it both ways.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 19 2011, 04:30 PM)

What about the PA? Roland makes Keyboard amps. Any Keyboard amp will work. Real drums work best though.

Here is my first post in this thread.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 19 2011, 05:54 PM)
I don't know anything about a "PA" care to elaborate?

And where YOU asked me to elaborate...

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 21 2011, 01:51 AM)
You mentioned in the second sentence starting this thread you wanted to get more serious with your band. Serious drummers play real drums.

If you take the time to read what I am writing instead of being defensive I am trying to encourage you to broaden your horizons... Not to mention answering your questions about amplification (Roland Keyboard amp, PA system) which you obviously didn't read out of justifying your current position, which you are seemingly touchy about. Never once have I said not to do one thing or another (not to mention potential jokes considering the title of this thread). Kindly point out where I say "don't do this" and I will recant. Closest I came was electronic drums are no substitute for real drums, which they aren't. I was just elaborating on my years of personal real world experiences with all types of electronic percussion and their inherent limitations.

What part of "why would anyone who's serious about drumming live in a place that can't accommodate drums" can't you comprehend? I never considered living in an apartment personally. When there's a will there's a way.

If you aren't a serious player then fine, enjoy. If you want to be serious then consider playing real drums.

Pick one. cool.gif

Do you want to move forward or stand still? Doesn't matter to me personally. Seems like you want to move forward because you said so at the top of the thread. But your knee jerk comments indicate you may not be. If you want to be serious then be serious but you can't have it both ways.

Perhaps my wording was horribly off with my wording. What I meant by "serious" was we stopped playing along to CD players to substitute the singer/bassist and moved on to finding a bassist and trying to write some material. We know what we write is likely third rate dime a dozen rock and roll crap, but we're having fun with it and to us, that's serious. We'll never take it past that point, not to gigs, nowhere because our priorities lie in our educations.

Now I've been trying to avoid revealing personal details but I guess I can't anymore. I am a university student living with my parents in a duplex. They were not thrilled when I picked up drumming, but they supported me playing an instrument as an exchange for gaming. They diverted whatever space they could to accomodate a kit, but truth be told it would never be able to fit a basic sized kit (3 cymbals, hihat, snare, 3 toms, bass drum). They aren't too fond of the noise either and since I want to be able to play whenever the hell I want, I took up electric.

Seriously, I don't enjoy paying 500$ so I can add a single pad, but it's just circumstance. I have been dating a girl for years and I do plan on marrying her when we both finish university (this is something we agreed would be best for us). Maybe in time when I move out I'll be able to finally switch to acoustic, but right now it's a matter of space causing it to be physically impossible. I don't want to move out, because my studies take precedence over all else right now. Trying to divide a part time job in order to pay rent plus trying to get high marks in a bachelors of science would be hell. I'm aiming to get into the medical program when I finish doing my bach.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 19 2011, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 19 2011, 06:30 PM)

Real drums do not fit my needs. I LOVE the fact that I can control the volume on them. The sound and feel are as real as I need the sound. I never have to worry about not having a cymbal or a drum because I can reprogram the brain at will. I can use it as a rock band 3 drum kit where cymbals are charted on every song. I can plug the midi straight into my computer and have a lot of fun messing with input sounds. I can go on....

I don't appreciate the loudness of an acoustic kit at all and neither would the people that live nearby.

While edrums are a quick and dirty way to control spl's and get a decent drum sound they do not give me that satisfying crack of a snare, that killer "thud" of a nice bass drum, or a sizzling realy cymbal playing experience. If you are not a drummer by trade you may enjoy the convenience edrums offer. Lately I only use edrums as a supplement to real drums...

best of luck to you!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 22 2011, 11:21 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 21 2011, 12:51 AM)
Serious drummers play real drums.

Lots of "serious" drummers play electronic drums too....what an ignorant statement.

Yeah, hasn't Mr. Peart used electronic drums on occasion? unsure.gif

...you are not a drummer if you aren't playing a drum. You're a padder.
wow...

(looks like someone's insecure wink.gif )

...electronic drums are fun. If you want a really nice Rock Band controller then great. That's a great game (one of my favorites) but it's not real.
just like electric guitars aren't real guitars, and electric basses aren't real basses, and synthesizers aren't real keyboards...

...rock music is supposed to be loud. If it's too loud you're too old! If you aren't pi$$ing somebody off you're doing it wrong....
...if you're 13 years old

fortunately, musicians with broader (and therefore, more accurate) definitions of what 'rock music' is and isn't outnumber attitudes like yours 100:1

trink39.gif

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 20 2011, 08:04 AM)

[...]

You sound like those snobs I know from the creative arts program. They told me the same thing when I joined the jam session club. Early last year was the first time I had touched a real kit. I must admit I needed a few minutes to get used to the feel of the cymbals, but the drums themselves came 100% naturally. I didn't have to adjust my technique at all. It turns out I'm better than half the drummers there and I'm not in any fancy program, nor had I touched a real kit up until that point.

Now you tell me real drummers use an acoustic kit, I live at the bottom of a duplex. I am a student and I could theoretically get thrown out of my home if I annoy him with an acoustic and the landlord is feeling especially dickish when the lease contract comes to term. My friends and I enjoy playing just the way things are. We know we're not going to be the next Sabbath nor are we even going to try. We play and make music to have fun, not to conform to elitist western standards. When I lived in Europe it was universally considered that if you played an instrument, even partially, you were a __________er/ist. There are no phonies. This whole idea of being a real drummer/guitarist/whatever is a western thing that has spawned within the last 20-30 years. By definition I play drums, therefore I am a real drummer.

Cyg can't go down alone on this one. I am a real drums advocate mysekf, and I get what cyg is saying and it's not snobbish. Just because he has decades if experience playing, performing, recording, and purchasing drums and other gear doesn't make him a snob. He does his homework and as a guy that's been playing since 1981, I greatly appreciate his time he continues to spend, in essence, helping other musicians on trf by sharing his vast expertise with frre of charge.

Let's take an objective look at electronic drums vs acoustic drums from the angle of percentage of drummers that, since 1983 when edrums were popular, or more popular than ever. Since 1983 there has been a relatively small percentage of drummers who have jumped ship and gone to electronics to replace acoustuc drums in rock bands. Hip hop and rap are not what we're talking about here.

So in summary, I am saying that if electronic drums were truly universally better than acoustic drums,the acoustic drums would have gone out of style 25 years ago.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Dec 22 2011, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 20 2011, 08:04 AM)

[...]

Cyg can't go down alone on this one. I am a real drums advocate mysekf, and I get what cyg is saying and it's not snobbish. Just because he has decades if experience playing, performing, recording, and purchasing drums and other gear doesn't make him a snob. He does his homework and as a guy that's been playing since 1981, I greatly appreciate his time he continues to spend, in essence, helping other musicians on trf by sharing his vast expertise with frre of charge.

Let's take an objective look at electronic drums vs acoustic drums from the angle of percentage of drummers that, since 1983 when edrums were popular, or more popular than ever. Since 1983 there has been a relatively small percentage of drummers who have jumped ship and gone to electronics to replace acoustuc drums in rock bands. Hip hop and rap are not what we're talking about here.

So in summary, I am saying that if electronic drums were truly universally better than acoustic drums,the acoustic drums would have gone out of style 25 years ago.

I dont play Drums. I play guitar , and know many Drummers. I have always seen electronic drums as, in the right hands, something to add color to the music. I would never want to see them replace an acoustic kit though.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 22 2011, 12:49 PM)
...you are not a drummer if you aren't playing a drum. You're a padder.
wow...

(looks like someone's insecure wink.gif )

Um, this is what we call a joke.

...rock music is supposed to be loud. If it's too loud you're too old! If you aren't pi$$ing somebody off you're doing it wrong....
...if you're 13 years old

fortunately, musicians with broader (and therefore, more accurate) definitions of what 'rock music' is and isn't outnumber attitudes like yours 100:1

trink39.gif

As was this.

I was asked to moderate this section when this forum began because of my experience with instruments and recording. It is what I do.

...electronic drums are fun. If you want a really nice Rock Band controller then great. That's a great game (one of my favorites) but it's not real.
just like electric guitars aren't real guitars, and electric basses aren't real basses, and synthesizers aren't real keyboards...

This is just plain stupid. Electric guitars and basses, and even Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos are electric versions of their acoustic counterparts and their sounds are created by amplifying acoustic energy (essentially acoustic instruments with electronic capability) whereas an electronic drumkit and synthesizers use samples and tone generators for their sounds. They do not generate acoustic energy. You can play an electric guitar/bass acoustically and it will still generate pitch and react the way acoustic guitars do. Same thing with an electric piano. Not so with electronic drums or synths. In fact when Dr. Moog designed his first synthesizer he did not want to control it with a standard keyboard because he felt, as the inventor of the first synthesizer, that is wasn't a conventional musical instrument and shouldn't conform to the western tuning standard. He started building Theramins first and wanted to go in that direction until he was convinced otherwise. This is not an opinion.

Electronic drums are no more real drums than a blow-up doll is a real woman. Neither are as satisfying as the real thing. You can spend up to $6000 on either and can have as much fun, but it's still tantamount to masturbation. (psst. This is another joke, eh...)

Hell even Alex Lifeson says synthesizers "aren't even real instruments" in BTLS. I believe this to be a joke, but he may have been serious. tongue.gif

Geez people you all need to lighten the f*** up.

Where did I say to anyone that they shouldn't use electronic drums in my above statements? Please point this out because I can't seem to find it. None of you people can read apparently. All I said was that acoustic drums work best, answered his question about amplification then he asked me to elaborate which I did. I have a LOT of experience with these things.

The only serious drummers who play electronic percussion started playing on acoustic kits first. Like Bill Bruford, Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, etc. By and large those guys went back to playing acoustic drums. Pat Mastelotto pretty much plays electronic percussion these days, but he doesn't use them for replicating acoustic sounds but rather completely different percussive sounds. He also still plays acoustic drums, depending upon who he's playing with. Neil only uses his electronic kit now during his solo and hasn't recorded a "electronic only" tune since Scars. That was only 20 years ago.

Thanks to the Masked Drummer for having my back. smile.gif

Agreed, there is no immediate response from a pad.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Dec 22 2011, 01:33 PM)

Thanks again and well stated!

I would be a hypocrite if I said not to use electronic percussion because I use them ALL the time. I just happen to be acquainted with the downside of using them for a main kit. If one day there is an electronic kit that reacts and performs in the same way as acoustic drums I am there. Not gonna happen in my lifetime.

My drum teacher had Synares when I was very young. First time I heard an electronic drum. Kind of a one trick pony but it was cool. I even got a Tama version in the early 80's. Back then they were more synthesizers than what we have now which are essentially samplers. Electronic gear takes a lot of time to learn and detract from productivity. This is what I am emphasizing. That said, I still use them. But like TMD says I have a LOT of experience with this stuff. Use whatever you want and when you have a problem you can come here and one of us (usually me) will attempt to help you find a solution, as I was doing here and catching hell for it because people do not read accurately.

Read what I write not what you think I am saying. I speak and write very explicitly. I will never say this thing sucks, or you suck or whatever. I am often misunderstood because of text and lack of voice inflection. Oh well. I'll still be here to moderate....

smile.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 22 2011, 09:21 AM)

Lots of "serious" drummers play electronic drums too....what an ignorant statement.

How does what I say here negate serious drummers playing electronic percussion?

How about this? "Serious drummers play real drums, but can sometimes venture into electronic drums and percussion completely, even doing away with their acoustic drums only to one day discard the electronics and return to acoustic drums and sometimes incorporate various triggers around their acoustic kits as augmentation..."

Is that a thorough enough statement for ya?

tongue.gif

Jeemany christmas!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 22 2011, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Dec 22 2011, 09:21 AM)

How does what I say here negate serious drummers playing electronic percussion?

How about this? "Serious drummers play real drums, but can sometimes venture into electronic drums and percussion completely, even doing away with their acoustic drums only to one day discard the electronics and return to acoustic drums and sometimes incorporate various triggers around their acoustic kits as augmentation..."

Is that a thorough enough statement for ya?

tongue.gif

Jeemany christmas!

Merry xmas, man!

I wanna say thanks for sharing your thought and opinions. I've learned quite a bit from your posts.

wishing you and your family the very best,

Well Merry Christmas guys. I did some research of my own and it looks like I'm going for a PA system. While you guys have valid arguments for acoustic drums circumstance doesn't allow room for them in my life. I'll post what I pick up when I go to the music store before new year's.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 25 2011, 11:06 AM)
Well Merry Christmas guys. I did some research of my own and it looks like I'm going for a PA system. While you guys have valid arguments for acoustic drums circumstance doesn't allow room for them in my life. I'll post what I pick up when I go to the music store before new year's.

Was just thinking about your question this morning. A good power amp with good speakers/sub would be your best bet. Post a video of you jamming when you get it.