Breaking down The Wall

Tommy Sawyer

facepalm.gif

After I posted that reply it just dawned on me that I have tickets to see Roger Waters in June for, you guessed it, The Wall. I'm thinking that the live show will put the whole thing in a different light and it is about as close as I may ever get to a Pink Floyd reunion. <Rationalization filter off>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 1 2012, 08:49 PM)
facepalm.gif

After I posted that reply it just dawned on me that I have tickets to see Roger Waters in June for, you guessed it, The Wall. I'm thinking that the live show will put the whole thing in a different light and it is about as close as I may ever get to a Pink Floyd reunion. <Rationalization filter off>

I saw the RW Wall show a little over a year ago. You'll LOVE it!! It's one of the most amazing rock concerts I've ever been to. The sheer quality of the production is completely overwhelming.

A comment on your statement about The Wall being a downer, yet you listen to Animals a lot: Ummm, really? You don't find Animals to be a cynical view on life in general? I absolutely LOVE Animals, it's my favorite Floyd album. However, it's almost entirely anti-humanity/anti-society/anti-establishment. It's their most depressing (and greatest) work, IMO.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 1 2012, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 1 2012, 08:49 PM)
facepalm.gif

After I posted that reply it just dawned on me that I have tickets to see Roger Waters in June for, you guessed it, The Wall.  I'm thinking that the live show will put the whole thing in a different light and it is about as close as I may ever get to a Pink Floyd reunion.  <Rationalization filter off>

I saw the RW Wall show a little over a year ago. You'll LOVE it!! It's one of the most amazing rock concerts I've ever been to. The sheer quality of the production is completely overwhelming.

A comment on your statement about The Wall being a downer, yet you listen to Animals a lot: Ummm, really? You don't find Animals to be a cynical view on life in general? I absolutely LOVE Animals, it's my favorite Floyd album. However, it's almost entirely anti-humanity/anti-society/anti-establishment. It's their most depressing (and greatest) work, IMO.

Oh sure, Animals can be really depressing, but I love the music. David Gilmour's guitar playing is amazing on that album. I think part of it is that The Wall was also the time when the band's interpersonal relationships were stretched to the breaking point and the whole thing was on the way down. I didn't know all the details back then, but you feel all that tension in the music. Animals is dark. The Wall is bleak.

Despite all that I'm still very excited about seeing Roger Waters in June.

True.

Like I said, you'll love the show!! Enjoy! I heard Roger recently on the Stern show. He's gotten a lot more magnanimous over the years and he's kind toward the remaining members of Floyd. Good to see he's not an old cynical bastard wink.gif

I love that you guys find the record too depressing. Just validates what the album is trying to convey. And while i too rarely listen to it in its entirety, I still do from time to time. I tend to play the live versions of Run Like Hell, In the Flesh, Thin Ice, and Mother-especially for the added notes in the lead...just mind blowing, on my show often. All their albums are jaded, cynical, and/or depressing. The Wall especially cause its personal, or at least semi-personal. Torture makes great art...

The Wall will always hold a place in my heart because of where I was at the time: LA , hanging around outside the Sports Arena trying, like a zillion other people, to score tickets for the Walls last show. Out of the Zombie Apocalypse that was the crowd a tall skinny English bloke complete w/ scarf, shoulder-bag and Sweet era hair walks up to me, ME, and quietly asks if I need tickets! 3 please! We quickly paid and bailed and he was absolutely swarmed.Found our seat's just as the show started.I still have the stub and gaze at it every now and then. Yes, I like Pink Floyd and The Wall very much.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 1 2012, 09:47 PM)
I love that you guys find the record too depressing. Just validates what the album is trying to convey. And while i too rarely listen to it in its entirety, I still do from time to time. I tend to play the live versions of Run Like Hell, In the Flesh, Thin Ice, and Mother-especially for the added notes in the lead...just mind blowing, on my show often. -All their albums are jaded, cynical, and/or depressing. The Wall especially cause its personal, or at least semi-personal. Torture makes great art...

Ha... no.

Only Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall and Final Cut.

The first 4 PF albums are (relatively) happy psychadelic, while Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are not dark at all.

QUOTE (MassProductionZone @ Feb 1 2012, 10:21 PM)
The Wall will always hold a place in my heart because of where I was at the time: LA , hanging around outside the Sports Arena trying, like a zillion other people, to score tickets for the Walls last show. Out of the Zombie Apocalypse that was the crowd a tall skinny English bloke complete w/ scarf, shoulder-bag and Sweet era hair walks up to me, ME, and quietly asks if I need tickets! 3 please! We quickly paid and bailed and he was absolutely swarmed.Found our seat's just as the show started.I still have the stub and gaze at it every now and then. Yes, I like Pink Floyd and The Wall very much.

I love tales from the past like this one. It always takes me back to those teenage days when we bitched about paying 12 dollars (!) for a show and then got a memory that never faded 30 or 40 years later.

I know this thread started as one fan's view of The Wall and as usual has become something else, but man, those old concert memories never fade do they?

I am impatient for June and Roger Water's visit to my hometown.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 2 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 1 2012, 09:47 PM)
I love that you guys find the record too depressing. Just validates what the album is trying to convey. And while i too rarely listen to it in its entirety, I still do from time to time. I tend to play the live versions of Run Like Hell, In the Flesh, Thin Ice, and Mother-especially for the added notes in the lead...just mind blowing, on my show often. -All their albums are jaded, cynical, and/or depressing. The Wall especially cause its personal, or at least semi-personal. Torture makes great art...

Ha... no.

Only Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall and Final Cut.

The first 4 PF albums are (relatively) happy psychadelic, while Momentary Lapse and Division Bell are not dark at all.

fair enough, was never a big fan of the early Sid stuff so much, and once Waters and Gilmour split I lost interest

Sometimes I cant let these things go....

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/07/18/00/slideshow_1001872702_RogerWaters.1118A.jpg

2-3-12 MY SHOW pt 2

Description:

A big chunk of part 2 comes directly from yet another heated debate on therushforum.com about The Wall from Pink Floyd. I added in a nice bit of Roger Waters in his own words on what the record was about and such. But when you really think about it, at the end of the day, upon us all a lil rain must fall...no? ha I stole that last line...