Who's getting the I Phone 4s ???

alphseeker

I'm thinking about it but will wait to see what the nexus coming out is like. The biggest problem with the newer androids like bionic is their battery life appears to be terrible based on what I read. Some of these androids are powerful but I am questioning if they actually provide a better experience or just have great stats. I like the iphone display.

Siri looks awesome, but I'm going to stick with my iPhone 4 until it doesn't work or until my "insurance" comes near an end (bell has this insurance plan that after a year and a half if your phone breaks, they'll give you a free one, brand new and if they don't have it, they give you the next model up).

Also, hackers are working to port Siri to the iPhone 4 and iTouch 4G

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 8 2011, 06:36 PM)
So I gather that current iphone owners are not disappointed with the 4s not being as groundbreaking as expected?

At least they kept the price down - Suppose to be faster - Siri looks great - 1080 video - dual antennae for better reception - I'm happy - I have a 3g 8gb so i can't wait any longer - if i had the 4 i might wait a year -

Been doing my research on this and have a question for iphone owners regarding your battery life. I can't use my Droid Incredible at work without killing the battery in half a day. What is your experience with your current iphone?

I use my iPhone 4 every day on the way to school to play chess (1 hour) and surf the internet a little. I can carry it for two days like that without needing a charge if I turn it off at night. On the third day normally it has about 30% battery left.

If I play a game that pushes the device to it's limits like Infinity Blade, it normally lasts 4-5 hours of non stop gaming (I did this while on a plane ride).

I would like to point out that the 4S will have quite a ways lower battery life.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 8 2011, 11:38 PM)
I use my iPhone 4 every day on the way to school to play chess (1 hour) and surf the internet a little. I can carry it for two days like that without needing a charge if I turn it off at night. On the third day normally it has about 30% battery left.

If I play a game that pushes the device to it's limits like Infinity Blade, it normally lasts 4-5 hours of non stop gaming (I did this while on a plane ride).

I would like to point out that the 4S will have quite a ways lower battery life.

I'm curious as to why you say the battery life will be lower on the 4s. It sounds like it has been upgraded. Honestly, this has turned into the dealbreaker/dealmaker for me. The newer android phones have terrible reputations for battery life. I think system power and the 4g network has progressed faster than battery power.

The 4S will absolutely *not* have lower battery life than the 4. That's ridiculous. Apple would be crucified if they released an upgrade with poorer battery life. In fact, I believe it was even mentioned at the event last week that they increased the battery life.

I've got a 4, and I'm a fairly heavy user between games, email, phone, and occasionally Netflix. I charge every two days, generally - if I let it go that long. I usually plug in as a matter of course, not always because I've let it run down.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2011, 01:35 PM)
The 4S will absolutely *not* have lower battery life than the 4. That's ridiculous. Apple would be crucified if they released an upgrade with poorer battery life. In fact, I believe it was even mentioned at the event last week that they increased the battery life.

I've got a 4, and I'm a fairly heavy user between games, email, phone, and occasionally Netflix. I charge every two days, generally - if I let it go that long. I usually plug in as a matter of course, not always because I've let it run down.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

iPhone 4s:

Talk time:

Up to 8 hours on 3G

Up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)

Standby time:

Up to 200 hours

iPhone 4:

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Standby time:

Up to 300 hours

Standby time is dramatically decreased and only an hour of talk time was added. Overall, I would say the battery is weaker for the typical use I put it through.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2011, 11:35 AM)
The 4S will absolutely *not* have lower battery life than the 4. That's ridiculous.

Well apparently it does....quite a bit less in standy mode....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 9 2011, 02:38 PM)
The 4S will absolutely *not* have lower battery life than the 4. That's ridiculous.

I really believe the 4s was an appeaser phone for all the 3g and 3gs owners like me who "refused" to upgrade to the 4 due to the antennae problems. My current i phone 3g has 3 hours less talk time than the new 4s and the 4s will have dual antennae and dual processor so i'll be pleased as will many current 3g owners -

Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 9 2011, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2011, 01:35 PM)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

iPhone 4s:

Talk time:

Up to 8 hours on 3G

Standby time:

Up to 200 hours

iPhone 4:

Talk time:

Up to 7 hours on 3G

Standby time:

Up to 300 hours

Standby time is dramatically decreased and only an hour of talk time was added. Overall, I would say the battery is weaker for the typical use I put it through.

Interesting. Honestly, stand by time doesn't matter much. I am apparently a heavy user. I currently have HTC Incredible and I have been bringing my wall charger to work for the last few months since it will not last all day at work. The newer phones actually sound worse and, believe it or not, I'm actually trying to avoid 4G for the time being since it sounds like a horrible battery drainer.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 9 2011, 04:21 PM)

I really believe the 4s was an appeaser phone for all the 3g and 3gs owners like me who "refused" to upgrade to the 4 due to the antennae problems. My current i phone 3g has 3 hours less talk time than the new 4s and the 4s will have dual antennae and dual processor so i'll be pleased as will many current 3g owners -

So that means you are upgrading to 4s?

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 9 2011, 03:48 PM)

already have - Get my preordered phone friday - i refused to buy the 4 because apple refused to properly fix the issues. My 3g is shot so i have no choice - I have a droid bionic for my work but prefer the i phone -

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Oct 9 2011, 05:13 PM)
Isn't the iPhone 5 coming out next spring though? The 4S seems like a waste of money if that's the case.

that's a rumour, not sure if it is true or not. I can;t wait, my current phone isn't going to last. Plus, it's storage capacity sucks. I had to delete several apps a couple of days ago to get into my text messages. didn;t have enough available space to get into them.....

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 9 2011, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 9 2011, 03:48 PM)

already have - Get my preordered phone friday - i refused to buy the 4 because apple refused to properly fix the issues. My 3g is shot so i have no choice - I have a droid bionic for my work but prefer the i phone -

I got as much info as I could and went ahead and ordered a few minutes ago. I haven't had an iphone and want to give it a shot. Nothing wrong with android per se. As I've said, Android developers are too worried about out-specing the other guy instead of making sure the damn phones do what we want them to do. Nexus Prime might be amazing but I can;t wait and see if the battery life is good.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 9 2011, 03:39 PM)
I stand corrected on the drop in standby mode, but that's not a metric I give much weight to. I'd much rather actually use my device, and in use, the battery life has been increased. So, there's that.

It may not be something you consider to important....but 100 hours less is pretty significant. I'm also somewhat of a heavy user but my phone is still in standy mode an awful lot...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 9 2011, 03:51 PM)
I stand corrected on the drop in standby mode, but that's not a metric I give much weight to. I'd much rather actually use my device, and in use, the battery life has been increased. So, there's that.

It may not be something you consider to important....but 100 hours less is pretty significant. I'm also somewhat of a heavy user but my phone is still in standy mode an awful lot...

An awful lot - like a couple hundred hours at a time? Who doesn't use their iPhone for 8.3 days and then gets annoyed that it didn't last 12.5? That's 200 hours of standby vs. 300 hours of standby. Sort of ridiculous. Any kind of usage is going to drop your standby down accordingly, but an average user will still get a few days per charge and a heavy user will still get about a day between charges.

Practical usage should be the only metric that counts. There's a reason they don't tell you the "off" battery life - if you turn off your phone the battery still drains over time, but they don't give an estimate for that because to do so would be ridiculous. Standby, measured in hundreds of hours, is nearly as ridiculous.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 10 2011, 01:30 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 9 2011, 03:51 PM)

An awful lot - like a couple hundred hours at a time? Who doesn't use their iPhone for 8.3 days and then gets annoyed that it didn't last 12.5? That's 200 hours of standby vs. 300 hours of standby. Sort of ridiculous. Any kind of usage is going to drop your standby down accordingly, but an average user will still get a few days per charge and a heavy user will still get about a day between charges.

Practical usage should be the only metric that counts. There's a reason they don't tell you the "off" battery life - if you turn off your phone the battery still drains over time, but they don't give an estimate for that because to do so would be ridiculous. Standby, measured in hundreds of hours, is nearly as ridiculous.

Battery recharge cycles get worse with time and use. My phone is mainly used for emergencies and when I'm stuck in traffic on the bus or I have to go to an area I'm not familiar with. For my general use, it stays on sleep mode for MUCH longer than it is in use. Having a good standby time is crucial for me. That may not be the case for you, but I would rather an extra day of sleep mode than an extra hour of playing Infinity Blade.

I may get one. I get a phone from work and I can upgrade at any time. I believe we are going to be able to get IPhone in December. I've never been terribly impressed with my Blackberry Storm. Edited by ILSnwdog