Criminal Minds

Mara

So, since I am about 5 or so years behind in terms of keeping up with the entertainment world, I only found the show last year on A&E. I promptly glutted myself on the reruns. It's not the BEST writing out there, but the plots do have a hook and the characters are likeable. They've gotten better about personalizing the BAU team lately.

One appeal for me is that the unsubs ("unknown subjects") are just SO damn scary most of the time. Last week's was super disturbing; he had a fondness for sulphuric acid, for one thing.

Any other fans?

oh I'm a fan darlin...I AM a fan. I prefer the Joe Mantegna era to the Mandy Patinkin era, but only by a smidge.

Some weeks, it gets to the point I cant watch before bed it gets into my psyche so deep.

Love all the characters...ALL of them. They are such a well blended team. I have my fave, and my most heartbreaking episodes, and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the show!

Yes, it took me a little while to get used to Rossi, but I like him better as well. The show only has room for so many "tormented souls" in the main cast, and right now Hotch occupies that spot. (I do wonder if the writers will give Hotch a new love interest ever? Not sure how that would go over, as one thing I like about the show is that it DOESN'T have any "soap-opera-ish" side plots going on).

Infinitely prefer Emily to Elle Greenaway, though. I'm glad they were able to agree on a new contract.

Yes, it took me a little while to get used to Rossi, but I like him better as well. The show only has room for so many "tormented souls" in the main cast, and right now Hotch occupies that spot. (I do wonder if the writers will give Hotch a new love interest ever? Not sure how that would go over, as one thing I like about the show is that it DOESN'T have any "soap-opera-ish" side plots going on).

Infinitely prefer Emily to Elle Greenaway, though. I'm glad they were able to agree on a new contract.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 4 2011, 09:35 AM)

I dont know how far into Hotch's married/unmarried life you've gotten to, or what you know, so I wont ruin it. But my thinking is a love interest would be unlikely, but surely interesting on so. many. levels. I like Thomas Gibson, always have, but he really should lighten up just a tiny bit.

Much MUCH prefer Emily. Shes so badass without the weepy baggage.

I want to be friends with Garcia in the worst way!

I've always had a crush on Joe Mantegna, so Rossi usually gets my full attention. But I think I'm a little bit in love with Dr. Reid..who looks so much better with longer hair. But his mind, fictional or not, astounds me.

And, well, Derek Morgan is certainly not hard on the eyes. I love his relationship with Garcia...its so infinitely precious.

Did you catch last week's episode? Andy Milder as "Cy" was just so freaking DISTURBING! I know what you mean about it getting into your psyche. George Foyet had me checking the doors to be sure they were locked! So did Billy Flynn (Tim Curry is so talented).

My wife loves this show. I'll watch it with her on occasion. There is one part that drives me nuts...every week when they brief local law enforcement, it's so unrealistic how quickly they throw all the information about the "unsubs" out there. It's almost like they are on a game show, and they have 30 seconds before the buzzer goes off.

As for scary unsubs...did anyone catch the episode(s) with Tim Curry? ohmy.gif

Have watched every episode for years now....kicks ass. Some of the story lines are just damn creepy. I think there's a lot of people who like

the creepiness of it, including me!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 4 2011, 02:42 PM)
My wife loves this show. I'll watch it with her on occasion. There is one part that drives me nuts...every week when they brief local law enforcement, it's so unrealistic how quickly they throw all the information about the "unsubs" out there. It's almost like they are on a game show, and they have 30 seconds before the buzzer goes off.

As for scary unsubs...did anyone catch the episode(s) with Tim Curry? ohmy.gif

Yep, "Billy Flynn". Curry did a fabulous acting job there.

QUOTE (Mara @ Oct 4 2011, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 4 2011, 02:42 PM)
My wife loves this show.  I'll watch it with her on occasion.  There is one part that drives me nuts...every week when they brief local law enforcement, it's so unrealistic how quickly they throw all the information about the "unsubs" out there.  It's almost like they are on a game show, and they have 30 seconds before the buzzer goes off. 

As for scary unsubs...did anyone catch the episode(s) with Tim Curry?  ohmy.gif

Yep, "Billy Flynn". Curry did a fabulous acting job there.

yes.gif

It was a great show, but IMO once Rossi came in they stopped relying on good storytelling and started relying more and more on shock value on the part of the criminals. I watched the show religiously up until Hotch's wife left him. Then I watched it less and less because I found their stories to be less interesting. The opening scenes from a lot of recent episodes seem like excerpts from a saw movie.

oh! but what happens later after Hotch's wife leaves him... sad.gif I dont want to give anything away...but the psycho in THAT episode?...*shiver*

Tim Curry could read the phone book and I'd watch. He's amazing.

I dont catch them as currently as I'd like, I'm mostly catching up in reruns, which are on like 3 channels at any given time of day.

QUOTE (Khan @ Oct 5 2011, 04:13 PM)
He sure looked like crap, though!

No kidding - I couldn't stop staring at those teeth. Ick.

"You can't kill them all."

"But I can try."

Like Mara I discovered these on A&E and did the marathon, all day sessions of 6-7 hours of creepiness. It's like you're kicking yourself for watching the creepy, but you just have to see how all the creepiness turns out. My fave - the episodes with David Carradine (or is it Keith?) -- disturbing!! Dr. Reid is sooooo good at the part he plays. I also like Garcia - quirky and fun! A little lightheartedness to all the dark stuff that is going on.